Partner
GarryA
Partner

11Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Cant Delete Empty Account

I am setting up a new MYOB file for a client. As i am still working on the new file so it is still not activated yet on clients server.

A journal was incorrectly coded to a bank account so i edited the journal and transferred to the correct gerneral ledger bank account.

After editing the journal and transferring the amount there are zero transactions in the original account however i get an error message when i try to delete the account.. "Error and account with journal entries may not be deleted".

When i review the transactions in the current balance (Find Transactions window) it definately shows no data or journals so debits and credits are nil 

How can i delete this account? Has anyone experienced this issue with deleting accounts when amounts have been edited out to another account?

Capture1.JPGAccount transactions show nilCapture2.JPGError deleting account with no data

7 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner GDay53
1,623 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

1623Posts

1741Kudos

358Solutions

Re: Cant Delete Empty Account

@GarryA

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

I would Combine Accounts.

As there are no transactions in this account you could combine with any other like account and it will not effect the other account at all. But it will remove this account for you.

Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Partner GarryA
11 Posts
Partner
GarryA
Partner

11Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

@GDay53

Thanks for the reply but this has happened on a few accounts and I have 30 odd files to setup/convert..This option is not always possible especially when they are in different classes..

Can MYOB or other client users confirm this is a bug & can be fixed?

Work a rounds are great but this is sort of a VERY VERY basic requirement being able to delete an account with no transactions and my clients would probably laugh at me if i told them I had do that...I have already had a lot of problems with this client and i dont want to tell them this is what they have to do....???

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,004 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4004Posts

626Kudos

588Solutions

Hi @GarryA

If an account has ever had a transaction against it and it since has been deleted, this will still mark the account as "used" and will prevent it from being deleted by throwing that message.

This is different behaviour from v19 and has been reported to our Development Teams.

Just as @GDay53 mentioned, the current workaround is using Combine Accounts to merge it and have it deleted once the background journals are closed.

Partner GarryA
11 Posts
Partner
GarryA
Partner

11Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

@Hayden_B

Thanks for the quick reply, it's good to know its a bug that is being dealt with.

I have a lot of new files to create so its there any kind of ETA on the fix...?

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,004 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4004Posts

626Kudos

588Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @GarryA

I don't currently have an ETA on this and I do not believe this is actively being worked on at the moment as there are other features and fixes that are being worked on in the software.

Though I have tagged this post so I can make updates once I receive more information on this.

Contributing User misamisa
7 Posts
Contributing User
Japan
misamisa
Contributing User

7Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

You can delete accounts that you don't need.

• you can only delete an account if it has never been used in a transaction
  • if an account is linked to another record, such a card, item or tax code, you first need to unlink it from the record. If you need help finding the records to which an account is linked, see the FAQ below.

If the account has been used in a transaction, you will not be able to delete it, even after deleting the transaction. This makes sure you keep the history of accounts used in transactions for auditing reports.

As an alternative, you can make the account inactive or combine the account with another account to remove it from the Accounts List.

Ultimate Partner IanChait
740 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
IanChait
Ultimate Partner

740Posts

584Kudos

147Solutions

Hi @GarryA

Don't hold your breath for this to be changed. The simplest, and quickest method it just combine the accounts you don't need with another one in the same category.

Regards
Ian Chait CA
Certified Consultant Melbourne
P/M 0417 479 585
Email ian@myfc.com.au

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post