Change default email

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
starmeadow
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

12Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Change default email

Hi there,

I'd like to send email direct from MYOB but when I do it takes me to Outlool.  Is there anyway it can be set up to go to Gmail.

The reason being that I work for a number of clients and they each have differenct email accounts.  One in particular wants me to send out invoices/statements direct from MYOB.  Their email account is with Gmail.  I work from my home computer and it's default is to Outlook - is there anyway I can have multiple MYOB files each with a different default email location.  For example, some clients have email account with Bigpond, some are with Optus, etc.

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
Tallie_M
Former Staff
4,461 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

4,461Posts

128Kudos

699Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Change default email

Hi there @starmeadow,

Microsoft Outlook is the only e-mailing program that has been tried and tested for use with AccountRight - as such, it is the only one that we recommend and are able to provide technical support for. While we do have clients who use alternative e-mailing programs and have no issues, in the case where problems do occur, we would be unable to assist, and as such, we do not recommend this.

However, you do have the option to set up these e-mail addresses for use in Outlook - for example, steps to set up a Gmail account in Outlook can be found on this site Configuring Gmail accounts in Outlook.

Please note that the AccountRight software will use whichever e-mail address is set as the primary e-mail address from within Outlook to send out e-mails. As such, if you would like to have each company file utilize a different e-mail address, you will need to set the appropriate e-mail as the primary address everytime you work on a different company file.

Additionally, our support note on Setting your default email program or email address may be helpful in assisting you through this process.

Please do let us know how you go, and feel free to post again anytime you require further assistance.

Warm Regards,

Tallie

MYOB Client Support
FredV
5 Posts
User
Australia
User

5Posts

123Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

the fact that Myob automatically uses Default email account in Outlook is totally wrong move.

Lets say that we have 5 email account in OUTLOOK, default is FRED@ and the one that I need to use for Invoicing is ADMIN@.

I am sending invoice via MYOB that will automatically use FRED@. Does that make any sense? NO. It does not.

How hard would that be to configure MYOB to be able to set whatever account in my OUTLOOK will be the MYOB account?

I know that your answer is going to be this: You can set default ADMIN and when you use OUTLOOK without MYOB, you can choose your account FRED@ manually.

This would be very unproductive and very hard to manage.

The reason why you have to make the feature ,, CHOOSE OUTLOOK EMAIL ACCOUNT,, available is that people can use appropriate outlook email account with different email signatures.

Please let me know what you think....:-)

Have a good day Fred

Tallie_M
Former Staff
4,461 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

4,461Posts

128Kudos

699Solutions

Hi there @FredV,

You do raise some good points there. We do see how being able to designate which e-mail address the software should use to send e-mails out with is one that would be rather beneficial to a lot of clients. While we would normally advise suggesting this idea, I have noted that you have already gone ahead and posted on the AccountRight Idea Exchange regarding this matter - how proactive of you!

Doing this is a great idea as the product development team do use the board to consider the wants and needs of our clients, and to gain insight as to what features would be most useful in implementing into future releases of the software. Please note that when an idea is set to be incorporated, the status will change to reflect this accordingly.

Please don't hesitate to post again anytime you require further assistance.

Warm Regards,

Tallie

MYOB Client Support
FredV
5 Posts
User
Australia
User

5Posts

123Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tallie,

I appreciate your answer very much!

Knowing that it might be fixed in the future means a lot to every single MYOB client. The limited flexibility of Email selection is very very frustrating.

If we have that fixed, I can guarantee that people will totally love the flexibility. Again, my default email should never be MYOB's default email because I should be telling MYOB program which email in my OUTLOOK to use.

Thank you again for your answer Tallie.

Have a great day

Fred

Tallie_M
Former Staff
4,461 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

4,461Posts

128Kudos

699Solutions

Hi there @FredV,

No worries at all - we're always happy to help whenever, and however we can. While we are unable to accomodate the needs of our clients all the time, at the very least, we will endeavour to provide a means to ensure our client's voices are heard. We'll have our fingers crossed that your idea becomes a feature taken aboard future versions of the software!

Please don't hesitate to post again should you require further assistance.

Warm Regards,

Tallie

MYOB Client Support
BYBookkeeping
Trusted Cover User
89 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

89Posts

44Kudos

3Solutions

I'm having the same problems as @starmeadow and @FredV.

I work for a dozen clients, of which 4 have gone to Cloud in the last 6months.

Whilst it is awesome to have access to the file 24/7, I need flexibility in my emails.

I attempted to change the default, a question came up that I wasn't happy changing.

Photo 1 is the instructions I was following.

Photo 2 is the warning that came up. 

Just wondering if you can shed some light on information about it.

Thanks, Belinda

IMG_7630.JPG
IMG_7631.JPG
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
40,137 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

40,137Posts

5,446Kudos

5,929Solutions

Hi @BYBookkeeping

I notice in your screenshot that you have selected the Data Files tab rather than the Email tab as mentioned in the Help Article: Emailing in AccountRight

From what I can read online in regards to those tabs they are two different functions of Outlook. The Email tab is your email account that is the primarily i.e. which one AccountRight will use to send data. The Data Files tab is the location in which your information is saved within Outlook i.e. your calendar, to do list... From my interpretation is that these are two different features and functions.

I would recommend speaking to an IT person in regards to that message and the implications of changing that option.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

BYBookkeeping
Trusted Cover User
89 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

89Posts

44Kudos

3Solutions

Good Morning @Steven_M

You mention that I have selected the Data Files tab rather than the Email tab as mentioned in the Help Article: Emailing in AccountRight

When reading the Support Note - you change the EMAIL Tab and then go onto change the DATA Tab.  

As mentioned, I don't have a problem changing the EMAIL TAB but I have a problem with the message that comes up with the DATA Tab.  I thought MYOB might know what it meant. 

Anyway, I have tried changing just the EMAIL Tab, shutting down the programs and re-opening them, then sending a test email from AR to myself, and the default email is still my personal one.  So it's not working. 

I'd love to hear if you have anymore ideas?

Thanks, Belinda

Banana1
Valued Cover User
137 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

137Posts

93Kudos

25Solutions

Hello @BYBookkeeping,

The alert message you received when attempting to change the default Outlook Data File was just there to advise you what features may change if the a new default datafile is selected.  And what might be affected if Outlook is launched After you change the default e-mail account.  If you go though to the Data File tab for me, can you check if there is a a second datafile already setup there? and what e-mail address is attached to that datafile?

If there is another Data File setup for the e-mail address you wish to use - It'll be perfectly okay select it and to set that Data File as the new default.  I fthere is any issue it can always be changed back.  If there is only the one Data File with the e-mail address you no longer wish to use in it, what you might need to do is is create a new datafile via the Add... button and link that Data File to the mail account you wish to use with Outlook.

This should mean that AccountRight will now only send from the new default e-mail address.

Hopefully this sorts it out for you.

Regards,
Matt

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post