Delete unused accounts

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
RobNob
Experienced Cover User
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Delete unused accounts

I have a few accounts I wish to delete but the message says "An account with journal entries may not be deleted."  The last time I created a journal for any of these accounts is back in early 2018.  The file has since been rolled over, so what gives?

Some are old bank accounts, no longer in use and others are expense or income accounts.   It's mainly the bank accounts I wish to delete.  They are not linked with Bank feeds, and they have been reconciled with zero balances, also since early 2018

9 REPLIES 9
gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Re: Delete unused accounts

Hi @RobNob 

Once an account has been used in a transaction, it cannot be deleted.  Rolling to a new FY does not change this. You may be able to combine accounts you no longer need.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
RobNob
Experienced Cover User
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Gavin, but had already tried that as well.  Can't delete accounts with journals. Smiley Sad

Looks like I'm stuck with a bunch of zero balance accounts, which, I guess is just an aesthetic nuisance.

Maybe the only solution is to re-use the account numbers for something else, and rename them as required, but not sure if that will bite me at some stage?

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hello @RobNob 

Unfortunately as indicated, an account that has been used in a transaction won't be able to be deleted. However, the suggestion to combine accounts may work for you. For example, if you have 2 bank accounts and an inventory account that are no longer required and are inactive, you could merge them into one so that you just have one unused account in your list instead of three. 

On top of that, your thinking was correct in that you could rename the defunct account(s) and sort the list accordingly so that they appear at the bottom. Go to the blue arrow in the Account Reconciliation Review window and rename the account number ending to something not in use, like -999. Once you've changed the name and closed out of the company auditor it should appear when you go back in. You should then be able to sort the list so the accounts you want to hide are at the bottom of the list so you don't have to search through them every time. 

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

RobNob1
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Emily, but I was hoping to be more radical with renumbering the offending account.  My thought is to change the number to an income or expense account - ie so to remove it from the balance sheet, because the balance sheet seems to insist in showing ZERO accounts, whereas P&L accounts do NOT.  And then, at some time in the future, I could label that account as an expense or income account.

But I'm still a bit worried that such a move might impact something I haven't considered.

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hello @RobNob1 and/or @RobNob 

I do see where you are coming from and on the surface I don't believe that would be an issue. However, I am hesitant to give specific advice as to what you have suggested without knowing how your accounts are set up, what sort of transactions are linked, any other parameters particular to your business, etc. I do suggest taking a backup of your current file and then testing your method; if it has any detrimental effects you will have the original setup saved. You can also play around in the sample file, Clearwater, and see if you can replicate an account or two and test the change/rename.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

RobNob
Experienced Cover User
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Good advice.  Thanks Emily!

RobNob1
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Duh! I should have checked this earlier, but I now find that MYOB doesn't allow me to change the account number from 1- to something else.  It's locked in to the asset range and can't be changed.  That's not how it was in Premier some years ago Smiley Sad  very dissapointed!

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hello @RobNob1 

I apologise, in re-reading the last few posts I see that I should have been more clear and also misunderstood what you aimed to do. The -9999 was meant to indicate the last four digits on the account, not the initial code of 1, 2, 3, etc. which cannot be changed, nor can the initial label of Income, Expense, Liability, etc. I do apologise for the misleading information there. 

Realising this workaround is not ideal for you, I would direct you to the AccountRight Ideas Exchange where another user posted on the same topic in June. You can comment and show support for this idea and this is where developers are able to view user feedback directly for consideration in future updates.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

RobNob1
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

All good Emily, I may not have been clear enough.  I'll certainly check out your suggestion.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post