Deleting payment made to wrong invoice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced User Cocoa
10 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

10Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Deleting payment made to wrong invoice

I entered a payment against a customer's invoice instead of as a deposit against an order (for the same customer).  I cannot delete the payment - the SJ entries are in grey.   I haven't got the "Transactions can't be changed box" ticked, or the locked period box ticked, but I still can't change the entry. Help please!  (I'm using Account Right Plus version 2013.1.15.3016)

8 REPLIES 8
Ultimate Partner ronatbas
4,530 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,530Posts

3,272Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Deleting payment made to wrong invoice

@Cocoa

If you are seeing an SJ then that is the wrong spot. Go to the sales register and open the incorrectly paid invoice open it and then click on the history button at the bottom right. This will open a screen that has the SJ and the payment details. Open the payment and delete it. 

Often easier is to use the bank register, find  the money coming in and open that and delete it. 

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Ultimate Partner BooksInTheCloud
1,730 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,730Posts

1,500Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Cocoa

Unfortuntely this is a current bug with MYOB and has been around for some time and is so frustrating.

Here is a link on how to fix this issue I posted which is not easy by any means.    Please vote and add comment to this idea the more votes the more likely it will be fixed.. hmmm maybe not though as it has been a bug since 2014Smiley Sad.

http://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Idea-Exchange/Sales-Order-Function-ability-to-reverse-dele...

Regards

Renae

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Ultimate Partner ronatbas
4,530 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,530Posts

3,272Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Renae 

i was under the impression that only applied to Orders not Invoices. BTW i like your fix but it is not one that I would be wanting to do every day.

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
1,730 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,730Posts

1,500Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks @ronatbas yes it is a very long winded fix and when the users try and attempt this themsleves it can end up in a even bigger mess.    Thanks for voting as wellSmiley Happy

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Experienced User Cocoa
10 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

10Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Ron, but I have tried all these options previously without luck - cannot delete or reverse.

Experienced User Cocoa
10 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

10Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Renae - I followed your steps but cannot reverse.  Have attached scan of my MYOB screens which I hope you can read.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,176 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,176Posts

4,271Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Cocoa

Taking a look at the screenshots you have provided, I think @BooksInTheCloud was on the right track in regards to the fact that the payment was made when that transaction was at an order stage and has since been converted into an invoice. You can tell this as your second screenshot (the Find Transactions window) has some Transfer from deposit lines. 

When a payment is made on an invoice you have the invoice first and then you have the payment. When you have a payment on an order, as an order doesn't affect the accounts a payment is placed into holding. It is not until you convert it into an invoice that the accounts are affected and the payments are fully attached to it. In this situation you have the payment before the invoice. So you can't delete the payment as it is before the invoice and you can't delete the invoice as it has a payment applied to it.

What you will need to do if that payment is required to be changed is to reverse out the invoice. This will create a credit note to which you can pay a refund on for the amount by the customer and then apply the rest back to the original invoice to close it out. This will put you back a square one to record the invoice again along with the payment. Help Article: Customer deposits has more information into what has occurred and how to correct it.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

1,730 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,730Posts

1,500Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Cocoa

Following on from @Steven_M helpful advice with further explaination.   I have attached an example of how to fix this for you and hopefully it will help other users as well. 

Please kindly mark as a solution if I have resolved your issue as this will help other users down the track that come across the same issues.

@Steven_M I will also link this back to my orginal post on the subject.

CC: @ronatbas  

Regards

Renae

Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post