MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Error message -271 when importing inventory adjustment file

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User AlisonL
26 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
AlisonL
Experienced Cover User

26Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Error message -271 when importing inventory adjustment file

Hi,

I have been attempting all day to import an inventory adjustment and I keep getting errors. Everytime I seem to get a different error. I got ""Error -271: Item not found and then ""Error -6: Item Number may not be blank without even changing the file...

Just when I think I have solved my problem a different error occurs.

Any suggestions from people who have had this problem and resolved it?

Thanks for your help.

Alison

10 REPLIES 10
Valued Partner Alan_M
148 Posts
Valued Partner
Australia
Alan_M
Valued Partner

148Posts

98Kudos

26Solutions

Re: Error message -271 when importing inventory adjustment file

Hi @AlisonL

If you'd like to attach your file here I'll have a look at it for you.  
Could you also tell me what version of AccountRight you are using?

Regards,

Alan

26 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
AlisonL
Experienced Cover User

26Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Hi Alan.

Thanks. We are using account right 2015.1.

I have attached a sample of my file that I have been trying to upload. As I said in my previous message, I have been going around in circles getting various messages when I change my file a little bit to try to get around the errors. I have pretty much given up now and I'm going to just input the data manually... But if I can get a solution it will be helpful for next time...

I have also attached a screen shot of MYOB and the import error file I am getting currently. (I loaded the exact same file and got error 271 earlier..)

Thanks for your help,

Alison

26 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
AlisonL
Experienced Cover User

26Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

loading the exact same data i got these 2 errors also.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,647 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2647Posts

2028Kudos

383Solutions

Hi @AlisonL

Inventory Adjustment Journals are by far the hardest thing to import into MYOB. I too have had inconsistent results for the same data. When I have many to import, i break into smaller chunks, some are imported and the others I do manually.

A few things to be aware of:

In your import, you can't have a negative Quantity and a positive amount. It this result is intended, I believe you would need to split and do as 2 entries. Basically Quantity * Unit Cost must equal Amount.

In your import, quantity cannot be zero. Can do this manually but not via import.

If after the transaction, the Quantity will be negative, the value must be negative.

If after the transaction, the Quantity will be positive, the value must be zero or positive.

If after the transaction, the Quantity will be zero, the value must be zero.

Try to enter each of these transactions manually any you will see if they are rejected.

Good Luck

Regards

Gavin

26 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
AlisonL
Experienced Cover User

26Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Thanks for that Gavin.

For those who perhaps are having similar difficulties, this is how I ended up tackling this problem.

We have only been using accountright for a few months and Í haven't quite got my head around how inventory works. In all other systems Ive used, standard cost has always been the norm. Since Myob seems to not use standard cost, our inventory has become a complete mess with ridiculous costs against units.

My upload was an attempt to bring this all into line and correct the costs, however I think I can see now that MYOB calculates the total amount on the # units and I can't change the average cost manually or easily. (I wish it just used standard cost, please let me know if I am missing somethig here and can change everything to just use standard instead of average).

Anyway, long story short I have ditched the idea of adjusting costs and have just focussed on getting the units right. I did this by importing a sale to clear all inventory to 0, then importing a purchase to make the units correct. I did both these transactions at $0 value. My next mission will be to attempt to get the average costs right so the end value makes sense.

Hope this makes sense and helps someone else out there struggling with similar issues.

Thanks for all your help.

Alison

Community Manager Suja_P
5,832 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Suja_P
Community Manager

5832Posts

2106Kudos

476Solutions

Hi Alison (@AlisonL),

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a detailed update. I'm sure this will benefit other users with similar issues. 

I'd also like to welcome you to the MYOB Community Forum. Please do visit us again should you have any further queries in the future.

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Social Support and Community Manager

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Partner Jenny_Bickley
40 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Jenny_Bickley
Experienced Partner

40Posts

60Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Community

Using 2015.3 and receiving the above message - obviously the items are in inventory Smiley Sad

Have the file checked out, did a inventory test adjustment and then exported the Inventory Adjustments for the correct headings. Then deleted the test entry and add relevant data - sample lines below.

{}             
Journal NumberDateMemoItem NumberQuantityUnit CostAmountAccountJobAllocation MemoCategoryIs Year-End Adjustment
OB3006201530/06/2015Stock Count 30 June 201501-0450685-00118.33 11320   N  
OB3006201530/06/2015Stock Count 30 June 201501-0770818-001213.38 11320   N  
OB3006201530/06/2015Stock Count 30 June 201502-0350433-01236.64 11320   N  

Has there been any updated information on this error message since the above posting as none of the listed solutions are applicable in this case.

Regards

Jenny Bickley
0419 854 390
Add-Count jenny@addcount.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
Certificate IV Workplace Training & Assessor
MYOB Staff Post Matyas_K
699 Posts
MYOB Staff Post
Australia
Matyas_K
MYOB Staff Post

699Posts

49Kudos

118Solutions

Hello @Jenny_Bickley,

Receiving Error -271 unequivocally means that AccountRight could not 100% match the characters in the Item Number column of your import file with any items in your item list.  Try opening up the *.TXT file in notepad for me and have a look at the item number as sometimes excel might insert additional characters into the field depending on the cel formatting which might not be visible unless viewing it as raw text.

Feel free to keep us updated as we are always happy to help.

Regards,
Matyas

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Partner Jenny_Bickley
40 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Jenny_Bickley
Experienced Partner

40Posts

60Kudos

1Solutions

Hi all

Resolved issue and sharing knowledge. Error 271 seems to be a generic message and not just related to Item Number.

Had 770 inventory adjustments and toned it down to under 100 per import and this worked.

Could have no zero quantity or costs.

Need to multiply quanity * cost and have in the amount column.

And of course checked the file out before import to make a 5 minute job instead of an hour at a time for the import.

Regards

Jenny Bickley
0419 854 390
Add-Count jenny@addcount.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
Certificate IV Workplace Training & Assessor
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post