Thank you for visiting our Partner Zone. This area is an exclusive space for MYOB Partners. Find out how to Partner with MYOB.
I have been attempting all day to import an inventory adjustment and I keep getting errors. Everytime I seem to get a different error. I got ""Error -271: Item not found and then ""Error -6: Item Number may not be blank without even changing the file...
Just when I think I have solved my problem a different error occurs.
Any suggestions from people who have had this problem and resolved it?
Thanks for your help.
Solved! Go to Solution.
If you'd like to attach your file here I'll have a look at it for you.
Could you also tell me what version of AccountRight you are using?
Thanks. We are using account right 2015.1.
I have attached a sample of my file that I have been trying to upload. As I said in my previous message, I have been going around in circles getting various messages when I change my file a little bit to try to get around the errors. I have pretty much given up now and I'm going to just input the data manually... But if I can get a solution it will be helpful for next time...
I have also attached a screen shot of MYOB and the import error file I am getting currently. (I loaded the exact same file and got error 271 earlier..)
Thanks for your help,
April 2015 - last edited April 2015
Inventory Adjustment Journals are by far the hardest thing to import into MYOB. I too have had inconsistent results for the same data. When I have many to import, i break into smaller chunks, some are imported and the others I do manually.
A few things to be aware of:
In your import, you can't have a negative Quantity and a positive amount. It this result is intended, I believe you would need to split and do as 2 entries. Basically Quantity * Unit Cost must equal Amount.
In your import, quantity cannot be zero. Can do this manually but not via import.
If after the transaction, the Quantity will be negative, the value must be negative.
If after the transaction, the Quantity will be positive, the value must be zero or positive.
If after the transaction, the Quantity will be zero, the value must be zero.
Try to enter each of these transactions manually any you will see if they are rejected.
Thanks for that Gavin.
For those who perhaps are having similar difficulties, this is how I ended up tackling this problem.
We have only been using accountright for a few months and Í haven't quite got my head around how inventory works. In all other systems Ive used, standard cost has always been the norm. Since Myob seems to not use standard cost, our inventory has become a complete mess with ridiculous costs against units.
My upload was an attempt to bring this all into line and correct the costs, however I think I can see now that MYOB calculates the total amount on the # units and I can't change the average cost manually or easily. (I wish it just used standard cost, please let me know if I am missing somethig here and can change everything to just use standard instead of average).
Anyway, long story short I have ditched the idea of adjusting costs and have just focussed on getting the units right. I did this by importing a sale to clear all inventory to 0, then importing a purchase to make the units correct. I did both these transactions at $0 value. My next mission will be to attempt to get the average costs right so the end value makes sense.
Hope this makes sense and helps someone else out there struggling with similar issues.
Thanks for all your help.
Hi Alison (@AlisonL),
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a detailed update. I'm sure this will benefit other users with similar issues.
I'd also like to welcome you to the MYOB Community Forum. Please do visit us again should you have any further queries in the future.
Using 2015.3 and receiving the above message - obviously the items are in inventory
Have the file checked out, did a inventory test adjustment and then exported the Inventory Adjustments for the correct headings. Then deleted the test entry and add relevant data - sample lines below.
|Journal Number||Date||Memo||Item Number||Quantity||Unit Cost||Amount||Account||Job||Allocation Memo||Category||Is Year-End Adjustment|
|OB30062015||30/06/2015||Stock Count 30 June 2015||01-0450685-00||1||18.33||11320||N|
|OB30062015||30/06/2015||Stock Count 30 June 2015||01-0770818-00||1||213.38||11320||N|
|OB30062015||30/06/2015||Stock Count 30 June 2015||02-0350433-01||2||36.64||11320||N|
Has there been any updated information on this error message since the above posting as none of the listed solutions are applicable in this case.
Receiving Error -271 unequivocally means that AccountRight could not 100% match the characters in the Item Number column of your import file with any items in your item list. Try opening up the *.TXT file in notepad for me and have a look at the item number as sometimes excel might insert additional characters into the field depending on the cel formatting which might not be visible unless viewing it as raw text.
Feel free to keep us updated as we are always happy to help.
Resolved issue and sharing knowledge. Error 271 seems to be a generic message and not just related to Item Number.
Had 770 inventory adjustments and toned it down to under 100 per import and this worked.
Could have no zero quantity or costs.
Need to multiply quanity * cost and have in the amount column.
And of course checked the file out before import to make a 5 minute job instead of an hour at a time for the import.
by MandMak on March