Errors when Importing Items

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
WOT_EL
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Errors when Importing Items

Hi all,

I am adding a new list of items to my system and everything is as it supposedly should be however I am receiving Error messages and it is skipping the entire import. Is there a limit on characters in the description field that could be causing my troubles?

Errors 4019.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Errors when Importing Items

Hi @WOT_EL 

Importing rules in MYOB are very particular. If unsure how to prepare the import file, first export existing Items and study the export file. Use this as a template for your import file. You seem to be missing a tax code when you buy and item, you will also need to specify a tax code when you sell an Item.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
WOT_EL
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Gavin.

All the data is in my XLSX when I am saving as a TXT file (Tab Demitted). The columns and data seems to get jumbled when I try importing.

WOT_EL
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

I have tried to not import the columns causing the error but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,839Posts

1,080Kudos

755Solutions

Hi @WOT_EL , it would be beneficial for you to follow Gavin's suggestion. Start by creating one of your items manually in your file, then export it to a text file, open that file in Excel, and add the remaining data in the appropriate columns. 

The order of fields in your text file should follow the exported layout; changes can lead to other errors.

Try adding about 10 items to start with, then import that file. Once it works, add the remaining items and do a full import. Existing items can be rejected or updated in subsequent imports.

Before you do a mass import, take a backup, so you can restore the file if the import creates a lot of incorrect data.

This help topic will tell you more about each import field - look for the Items section. For example, the item number and item name field are limited to 30 characters, but the item description field can hold 255 characters, and can be flagged (by using the next import field) to be used on invoices instead of the name. 

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

WOT_EL
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Great news - thank to both of you.

So I exported the headers in the correct order and then rearranged my file in Excel and all imported flawlessly.

Thanks again.

WOT_EL
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Actually sorry I was wrong

Still the same error

I am using my normal income account and expense account but when I review the log it say that the account is incorrect and doesn't correctly import.

I am using 4-1101 and 5-1101. When I open the returning incorrect TXT file it has value 107 and 91, respectively, in it's place.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post