MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

MYOB Account Edge NE running slow. Should I roll over the Financial Year or Purge Invoices?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing Cover User gwpowell
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
gwpowell
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

MYOB Account Edge NE running slow. Should I roll over the Financial Year or Purge Invoices?

We have been running MYOB Account Edge NE since 2011.

It is now running slow.

I suspect this is because we have not rolled over the financial years since 2011 nor have we purged the invoices. We have not needed to roll over financial years as we only use this file for our point of sale invoicing and stock management. Our back office accounting is done on a separate file and is rolled over every year.

As I said I suspect that because we have not purged the invoices, that this has slowed down our system

When I roll over the financial year, is it ok to go straight from 2011 to 2017?

I presume this will purge all invoices (when I select that option) up until the 2016 year. is this correct?

Or

Should I be just doing rolling over one year at a time?

Or

Should I just Purge the invoices and not worry about rilling over the financial years?

6 REPLIES 6
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,120 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11120Posts

1263Kudos

1569Solutions

Re: MYOB Account Edge NE running slow. Should I roll over the Financial Year or Purge Invoices?

Hi @gwpowell

Thanks for your questions

The way AccountEdge rolls over the financial years, you will have to do them one at a time. Doing this will allow you to purge the closed invoices for that year. By doing this incrementally it will remove those invoices which in theory will make each subsequent rollover slightly faster.

There are a couple of things to be mindful of in regards to rolling over your financial years in a file, even if it just used for invoicing. Firstly, it’s a good idea to backup your file before you start the rollover, that way if something goes wrong you have a backup that you can look at, in addition it will ensure that you keep a copy of all of those invoices in case you need to go back and review them.

In addition, we recommend doing the rollover on the computer that hosts the file as opposed to on any of the network machines. This will minimise the risks of any network related issues during the rollover, particularly if a large file is being rolled over.

Once you have completed the financial year rollovers, I do recommend that you go to File >> Optimise Company File. When the file is optimised it is also compacted ensuring that it is as small as possible. The smaller the file is the theoretically the better it will perform across a network.

Depending on the size of your file, it may take some time to do the first few rollovers and the optimisation, however as more information is purged from the file the faster these will become.

Please do let us know how you get on with this

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
gwpowell
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: MYOB Account Edge NE running slow. Should I roll over the Financial Year or Purge Invoices?

Thank you, I have rolled over all previous years and we have seen an increase in speed of the system.

However the Card File is still running extreemly slow. When entering in customer names it takes up to 30 seconds to retrieve the data.

I have tried to optimise the company file without success. I get an error as seen in the attachment....

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.05.52 pm.png
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,647 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2647Posts

2029Kudos

383Solutions

Hi @gwpowell

Sounds like a permission issue - make sure all other users are out of the file, and try opening in single user mode. As @Neil_M mentioned, to get the benefit of a purge, you need to optimise the file (and then Verify to ensure no new errors have emerged).

FYI, you do not need to Start a New Financial Year in order to purge prior year transactions, this can be done from the File menu. Select the appropriate Command Centre (Sales or Purchases), then select File > Purge Closed Invoices. Once done repeat for the other Command Centre. As above, you will need to optimise after the purge to get the file reduction benefit.

Regards

Gavin

9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
gwpowell
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Gavin,

I tried a total reboot of the computer, and logging in as a single user as administrator.

I still receive the same error message.

MYOB Error.png
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,647 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2647Posts

2029Kudos

383Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @gwpowell

There are 2 likely reasons.  Either 'lock' files or Permission. MYOB (and I presume AccountEdge) creates lock files to control user access etc. As the user exits, the lock files are deleted. However if AccountEdge terminates abruptly or a user is thrown out, the lock files remain and must be manually deleted. 

Locate the company file using a Finder window. Have a look in the same folder for small files beginning with access or lock, such as access02.flk or lock0002.flk and delete any such files. Then try accessing the file again.

If this fails, this leaves permission - locate the company file using a Finder window and select the file and right click - Get Info - at the bottom look under Sharing and Permissions - it should say 'You can read and write' - if not you will need to move the file to a location where you have permission to read and write (such as desktop) or get your network administrator to give you permission.

Hope this helps

Gavin

9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
gwpowell
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Brilliant, thanks Gavin.

It was the permissions.

I did as you said and changed the permissions which it allowed me to Optimise the File.

Optimising the file after rolling over the financial years has now sped the system up significantly.

Thank you all for your input.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post