Partner Zone
Partner Zone

New user, company sign on and user emails issues

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted Cover User seqtt
87 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
seqtt
Trusted Cover User

87Posts

23Kudos

3Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

New user, company sign on and user emails issues

Hi,

I'm missing something here. I know you can set up a new user either through Set Up > User Access or through the portal. I read a post going through the set up process and I'm OK with all of that - preferred Set up through User Access, monitor through portal.

Our company uses generic email addresses on given work stations e.g. 'admin@...; workshop@...' to minimise problems with staff turnover.

I'm having trouble when an employee leaves and we put on a new staff member.

In User Access an employee/user can only be inactivated and not deleted because there are transactions linked to that user, as such the generic email address is still linked to that User's account.

I can't see any way to edit the User's name in Step 2. Set user access, only the email address.

Even if I inactivate them here and remove their access in the portal, I still can't create and invite a new user because the emailed address remains linked to the terminated employee's account

Is there a way around this without having to create a discrete email address for each individual employee?

9 REPLIES 9
Ultimate Partner GDay53
2,325 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

2325Posts

2140Kudos

508Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: New user, company sign on and user emails issues

@seqtt

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Once you have setup a user there is no way to change their name, but you can delete them.user acces.PNG

Hilite the user and click on the delete button beside New Advisor.

Then when you setup the new users, setup the user name the same as the email eg. admin or workshop.

Then when staff change leave the user setup as is just change the password for new staff.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Trusted Cover User seqtt
87 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
seqtt
Trusted Cover User

87Posts

23Kudos

3Solutions

Thanks for your feedback @GDay53.

I'm cool with setting up a generic User Name as 'admin' etc to match the generic email and changing the password for each new employee, but until I can delete the old user using the process you outlined (see the error message I'm getting on attached snip), I'm still unable to reallocate the email address. Thoughts?

Capture.JPG1.JPG
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,398 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11398Posts

1302Kudos

1605Solutions

Hi @seqtt

That error means that either there are transactions that have been entered in by that user which still exist in the file or in some rare instances a user with the username your trying to delete is logged into the file. To preserve the integrity of the datafile, AccountRight won’t let you delete a user who has entered in transactions.

If you were getting that error the best you could do would be to inactivate the user as opposed to deleting the user. You can free up the email address by unticking the “This user will sign on with a my.MYOB account (recommended)”.

That said for security reasons we do recommend issuing each new employee with a new email log in as opposed to recycling old usernames and passwords. Not only will this give greater security when looking at the Journal security and audit reports as you will see exactly which employee made the changes but it will help avoid these sorts of errors

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Trusted Cover User seqtt
87 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
seqtt
Trusted Cover User

87Posts

23Kudos

3Solutions

@Neil_M replied to a private message I sent as I'm still having issues, as follows:

'That first error means that the email address you are signed in with under the Open a company file >> Online is not recognised as being invited to that online company file, hence it cannot be opened using those details. You will need to invite that email address and ensure that it is accepted. This can be verified by an online owner logging into the file, and going to Setup >> User Access >> Manage Online Access and ensuring that the email address is listed as either an online administrator or an online file user.

Please note that an email address can only be invited as one or the other. If an email address has been invited as one other the other it will need to have its invitation revoked before it can be reinvited.'

I have reviewed and revoked any and all users that used that email previously, by going through both User Access in MYOB, and the User Access records in the portal but still can't invite Admin41.

I must be missing something Smiley Sad

MYOB user1.JPGThe only user with this emailMYOB user2.JPGFailed invitationMYOB user3.JPGFile user status

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,398 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11398Posts

1302Kudos

1605Solutions

Hello @seqtt

That error about the invitation not being sent means that the email address you are trying to invite is already showing as having accepted an invite according to our system. Please note that this means that there is a current user showing as Active with that email address.

You can determine this either through my.MYOB and if you have a large number of users in the Online File users list you can view all of them by clicking the Show More button, or by asking all of the staff who currently access the file to see if any of them use that particular email address

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Trusted Cover User seqtt
87 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
seqtt
Trusted Cover User

87Posts

23Kudos

3Solutions

Hi @Neil_M,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, however I attached a snip of the my.MYOB Online File Users that I had expanded with the Show More option to demonstrate that all users that had previously had that email address had had their access removed. The online file users that are currently active all have different email addresses. This is why I'm confused.

Trusted Cover User seqtt
87 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
seqtt
Trusted Cover User

87Posts

23Kudos

3Solutions

SUCCESS! @Neil_M (sort of)...

When I checked the Users in MYOB Set up, I had ticked by accident the Administrator box, but that level of access was not appropriate to the user's position.

In Manage Users on the portal, I had been looking at the Online File users, not the Online Administrators. When I expanded the Adminitrators' selection there were 3 Online Administrators listed (see attachment 1). The invitation to admin@... had been cancelled, but access hadn't been removed. I resent the invitation, and had it accepted. 

Once that was accepted, I removed Online Administrator access for admin@..., and then sent an invitation to the same address for an Online file user which was sucessfully accepted - sort of.

I went back and cross-checked the portal, which was now showing a history of 4 Online Administrators, not 3 even though I had used the same expansion. Mitchell worked here when we went live , but hasn't worked here for years. Not sure how he popped up there. When I invited the new online User, it was Mitchell's name that popped up, not Cassandra's.

I'm happy to call Cass 'Mitchell', now that  we have her access to the online file sorted out Smiley Happy 

Thought you'd be interested in the feedback

Admin41_1.JPG
Admin41_2.JPG
Admin41_3.JPG
Trusted Cover User Kerry10
250 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Kerry10
Trusted Cover User

250Posts

19Kudos

2Solutions

So, thinking about users and being able to see what changes they have made in an Audit report, is there any way to automatically log someone out of the MYOB file if they leave the computer for a set amount of time?  For example, if our Customer Service staff member goes for lunch and someone else answers the phone and needs access to MYOB and they sit down at her computer the Audit would still show that the staff member that is on lunch made the changes.  Is there any way to force an employee to have to log in with their own credentials?

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,398 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11398Posts

1302Kudos

1605Solutions

HI @Kerry10

Currently there’s no way to setup a user to be forcibly logged out after a set period of time or force a new user to log in if the file is already open. That said if you needed to change who was logged in you could either use the File >> Switch user option or remind everyone that they need to close the program if they are leaving it for any reason

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post