Post Dated Transactions Affecting Reconciliations

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
MyAccountsHat
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

40Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Post Dated Transactions Affecting Reconciliations

Hi All 

I've attempted a few times to explain this issue here without much success (either I'm being incredibly thick or I'm being told it shouldn't happen) so I've taken some screen caps which should hopefully illustrate my point. 

I've been wanting to move our Payroll function over on the MYOB payroll module, however because the payroll module is linked to the bank account I was concerned that any transactions generated by the Payroll module and posted to the bank account would affect my bank reconciliations if the payroll transactions were dated after the period I was trying to reconcile (post dated).  Say, for example, if I haven't had the opportunty to reconcile the bank account for January but I have processed payrolls for February, the transaction values for the February payroll affect the total of the bank even though I have selected a date range for January only in the reconcilation screen.  Now, as I say perhaps I'm being really thick because I have been lead to believe this shouldn't happen, however it does. 

Please note: the example here is actually for the petty cash account because all my other reconciliations were up to date and I haven't processed any payrolls yet on this system because of this issue, as such I had to engineer a scenerio to demostrate the issue.   I have posted screengrabs to illustrate below. 

181231 - Reconciliation - No Post Dated Transactions.PNG

Reconciliation with no post dated transactions, which balances 

190114 - Post Dated Transaction Recorded.PNG

Addition of a post dated transaction (in this case for January 2019)

181231 - Reconciliation - Post Dated Transaction - 1.jpg

Attempt to reconcile the account with a post dated transaction posted to the bank account but not included in the date range to be reconciled.

I hope this illustrates the issue I have.  I'm not sure how to explain any other way. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

2 REPLIES 2
GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,047Kudos

569Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Post Dated Transactions Affecting Reconciliations

@MyAccountsHat

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

When you do the Reconciliation the First thing you have to enter is the ending Balance on the bank statement.

This get entered at Closing Statement Balance.

In the first screen shot the closing balance is $108.80 but in the second one where you say it is out of balance the closing balance is only $103.95.

Why have you not entered the same closing balance of $108.80?

If you had it would show out of balance zero.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
MyAccountsHat
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

40Posts

4Kudos

1Solutions

Re: Post Dated Transactions Affecting Reconciliations

Hi Graeme 

Apologies for the delay in my response. Yes, I see what you mean now.  TBH I've never done it that way because I generally just enter all the transactions and then make sure the figures balance rather than manually entering the statement figure. 

Logically to me it would make sense that the software just takes a 'snapshot' of the balance at the date you want to reconcile to and then ignores all post dated transactions so you can see right away if you have an issue or if the transactions balance but as that's not the case this was very helpful. 

Thank you. 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post