Australia
Patrick_H
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Record expenditure without Supplier Card

I need to record a one-off expense and don't want to set up a card for every random place we are not likely to ever use again.

The business is a simple Sole Trader set up, so the main account is simply set up under the business name. This account is marked as the account to use for electronic payments in the Setup, but we want to use this same account for cash payments. This was no problem in the old Business Basics we used, but in AccountRight it keeps telling me I have to select a supplier card, even when Electronic Payment is NOT ticked....

I can put it under the Petty Cash account, but I'd like to see all transactions in the same window in the Bank Register.

Is there a simple way around this?

3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
26,180 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

26180Posts

3031Kudos

3841Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Record expenditure without Supplier Card

Hi @Patrick_H

The Electronic Payment option on the Spend Money window (and other windows) is intended to be used if you are using the Prepare Electronic Payments window and processing that transaction via an ABA file. The process of this would be you have an electronic clearing account* set as the Bank Account for Electronic Payments (in the Setup>>Accounts & Banking window). This way when you record your payments and mark them as electronic they would appear in the Prepare Electronic Payments window, so you can process them through to the required bank account also in the process generating an ABA(bank) file for upload to make those payments to your bank.

If you are dealing with the payment of that transaction electronically outside of AccountRight i.e. directly entering the banking details on your Internet Banking you wouldn't need to the select the Electronic Payment tickbox and just process the transaction as per normal. You also wouldn't need to select a Supplier's card in this case as you don't require the banking details. Although I would be recommending that you do change the Setup>>Accounts and Banking>>Bank Account for Electronic Payments to be a clearing account so that if you do decide to use it you are not processing the transactions directly through the bank account in the first instance.

Our Help Article: Set up electronic payments has more information on setting up and recording those electronic payments.

*Don't have an electronic clearing account - one can be created via Accounts>>Accounts Lists>>New. Ensure that you give the account a number, a name and set the account type to be Bank.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User Patrick_H
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Patrick_H
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks @Steven_M,

just to make sure I understood and acted correctly:

The use of the Electronic Payment tickbox is for payments linked to or processed through AccountRight? So, since we make and receive all payments manually through the bank's web banking, we don't actually need to use this.

I have currently made a new Bank account and simply called it Electronic Payments. I then proceeded to link this as the Bank Account for Electronic Payments (in the Setup>>Accounts & Banking window). (For now) this will remain unused, but it allows me to record tax receipts to our main account.

Does that sound about right?

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
26,180 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

26180Posts

3031Kudos

3841Solutions

Hi @Patrick_H

It sounds like you have understood and acted correctly.

The electronic payment option is available if you wish to use the Prepare Electronic Payments window and generate an ABA/bank file. In your case, you do it all outside of the program i.e through your Internet banking, which is perfectly fine, you just need to not tick Electronic Payment in AccountRight when recording that payment.

Great, by creating and linking that bank account you have the ideal set up now for dealing with electronic payments in the software if you decide to use them. Note: It is not a compulsory feature and you can certainly welcome to make payments via Internet Banking or through other means. If you are not going to use that electronic payment function in AccountRight my recommendation would be to ensure that electronic payment option is unticked when recording those manually paid transactions in AccountRight.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post