The correct way to record payment of credit card debt from a savings account?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
shau
Experienced Cover User
64 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

64Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

The correct way to record payment of credit card debt from a savings account?

When paying off credit card account debt from a savings account, is the correct way to record this as a money Transfer, or as a Pay Bill, or some other type of transaction?

3 REPLIES 3
GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,040Kudos

569Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: The correct way to record payment of credit card debt from a savings account?

@shau 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

As Credit Cards and Bank accounts are all treated exactly the same way in MYOB, the payment of the Credit Card is just a money transfer from one account to another.

I would use either Money Trasfer or Spend Money - NEVER a Bill.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
shau
Experienced Cover User
64 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

64Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: The correct way to record payment of credit card debt from a savings account?

@GDay53 So from an savings account (asset) into a credit card account (liabilities).  Normally I repay before interest on credit loans takes affect, but in case interest charges apply, then when paying the interest charges on my credit card account from my savings account would they still be recorded as a Transfer or some other type of transaction?  I am referring strictly to the interest component of repayments?  How would you handle these?

GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,040Kudos

569Solutions

@shau 

As I said Credit cards are treated exactly the same as any other bank account. Any interest is recorded as an Other Expense that is paid from the Credit Card or Bank account concerned.

If you pay an amount that is equal to the interest from a bank account to the credit card it is still only a transfer of money between the accounts.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post