bank file error

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Fabulous_WM
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

33Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

bank file error

Hi

I just noted that the amount on bank feed doens't match with the amount on the payment register as you can see below.

payment detail.png

bank feed.png

I think the bank file included the first line of $182.13 so I can't match the payment on bank feed

Can anyone advise me how to fix this difference on bank reconcilation? I can't match the payment on bank feed since the amount doesn't match.

Thanks so much!

7 REPLIES 7
CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: bank file error

Hi @Fabulous_WM 

This dilemma occurred because negative payments are not included in the bank file, because they cannot actually be processed by the bank. A warning message will display to explain this behavior whenever a negative amount is selected from the Prepare Electronic Payments screen:

image.png

The correct way of doing it would be ticking the positive payment and its reversal only, net amount being $0, click on 'Bank File' to clear them from the list first, then tick all the positive payments that'll be actually be paid then generate the real bank file. In your situation, the positive 182.13 payment was included in the bank file, but -182.13 was not. Therefore, your supplier was indeed over paid.

I'd suggest contacting your supplier to work out whether this overpaid amount will be refunded, or stay as a credit to be applied to your future purchases. From the AccountRight side, you can delete/reverse the electronic payment recorded, then ticking only the positive figures to record the electronic payment of $1400.58, matching what happened in real life. If the overpayment was refunded, you can go to Prepare Electronic Payment, ticking the negative figure only then click on Bank File to clear it from the list, it will deposit the amount into the main bank account. If it remains as a credit, you can apply this debit note to future bills.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know how you go.

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search|Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Fabulous_WM
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

33Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Clover

Thanks for your reply. 

I didn’t see the warning message so I didn’t know this could be an issue. If I had the message, I wouldn’t have processed it until I checked it with you. Anyway it’s already been processed so I need to fix it correctly.

I rang customer support this afternoon and I was told to create a dummy invoice to match the overpayment and use pay bills or create an expense account with spend money option.  She told me this is the only option I have but I think your way sounds more accurate. 

I emailed my supplier and waiting for their reply on this matter. Once I receive it, I will try to fix it as you advised and let you know.

Thanks so much for you help.

Fabulous_WM
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

33Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Dear Clover

My supplier refunded the money back to us so I followed your instractions and it worked fine.  I managed to do bank reconcilation without any issues. I can't thank you enough for your help!

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Hi @Fabulous_WM 

Thank you very much for providing us the update. I'm glad to hear you've resolved it with your supplier and successfully completed the bank reconciliation!

If there's anything else you need assistance of, please feel free to browse and post on the forum again at any time!

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Fabulous_WM
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

33Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Clover

As I posted ealier, I managed to fix the issue by deleting the transaction and creating another bank file only with positive figures as below, and I finished the bank reconcilation for February without any issue.

FIXED TRANSACTIONS_.jpg

However, I received the refund on March and I can't find the negative figure on prepare electric payment window so I can't reconcile March account. Can you help me again with this one?

Thanks so much for your help.

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Hi @Fabulous_WM 

If the negative amount isn't showing in 'Prepare Electronic Payments' then it's possible that:

- The negative payment transaction was deleted

- The negative payment transaction has been processed via Prepare Electronic Payments

- The negative payment's payment method changed, e.g. Cash/Cheque instead of Electronic

You'd need to locate the negative payment transaction itself (CD0000034 judging from the initial screenshot), drill into it to check its payment method, can also use Ctrl + R to do a recap of the transaction to double check the accounts posted to. If the payment method and date checks out, then please do check your bank register for this amount, the electronic payment could have been paid from a different bank account.

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Fabulous_WM
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

33Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Clover

Thanks for your reply. I managed to locate the transaction and finished bank reconcilation for March.

Again, thanks so much for your kind reply.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post