Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Accounts: Set a default Bank Account

Cover User

1Posts

35Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

We currently have two bank accounts, one with without an overdraft that is an asset in MYOB chart of accounts and a second with an overdraft that is a liability account in MYOB. The overdraft is our primary account.

The problem I have is that MYOB defaults to the bank account with the lowest account number, so that whenever you start to enter data you need to manually change the bank account to the overdraft.

My suggestion is that you should be able to tick a box to allow any of the "bank accounts" to become the default bank for data entry. This would avoid the problem when you forget and entry data to the wrong bank account and then have to make the changes.

Could you please consider this function or if anyone knows a way around this problem let me know.

Regards,

Ian Plambeck.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2013

Thanks for the great idea Ian. You can set a default bank accounts for your pay bills and receive payments transactions through your setup menu > linked accounts > and changing the account under sales accounts and purchases accounts. I can see it would be a time saver if there was also an option to set a default account for all other types of transactions. If other users like this idea, please show your support with further votes and comments.

26 Comments
JoannaThomas
1 Post
Cover User

It would be helpful if MYOB Basics/AccountRight included the ability to set a default bank account for entering 'spend money" transactions without the need to change of account numbers.

*Edited by @Steven_M - Changed name to make it relevant to all programs and expanded on idea based on comments by @AlanT

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff

Thank you for your suggestion @JoannaThomas,

In AccountRight when you enter a Spend Money transaction, by default it will use the first Bank account set in your account list. If you wish to use a specific bank account as the default account, you can change its account number so it is the first bank account in line. 

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

@CloverQ

Sorry Clover, but I don't see how that makes this suggestion a 'Already in Product' status.

The suggestion is to be able to nominate which account you wish as your default account for spend money.  It may not suit everyone to have to re-arrange their chart of accounts so that this is the first account.

If you have an ANZ accounrt and a Westpac account, for the sake of presentaion many people would like to see their accounts listed in alpha order.  If you want to use your Westpac bank as your default account for spend money, this is not the answer.

:-(

Alan

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff

Thank you for your feedback @AlanT, we have reviewed this idea and remarked it accordingly. We would love to hear more clients' feedback on this idea. 

starmeadow
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User

It would be so useful if you could set the Spend Money default account to another account without having to change the account number or de-activating other bank accounts.  For instance, my client's business receives income into the bank account but pays 95% of bills from the credit card account.  This is a liability account so I don't want to change it to an asset account number.

Setting defaults in any area of MYOB would be a very useful tool.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @starmeadow

Thank you for your feedback in regards to AccountRight

I've merged your idea with this one already included on the AccountRight Idea Exchange.

PriscillaT
1 Post
Cover User

This is a great suggestion and I would love to have this option. To take it one further it would be great if the various payment methods could be assigned bank accounts in MYOB. So any credit card or cheque payments can be automatically recorded in Undeposited Funds and Direct Credits can go into bank accounts. It is just a little thing but could be a real time saver.

Sharon_K
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I just came here looking for the same thing. I have even marked the the old account as inactive but it still shows up as the default account.

Ann01
Partner
25 Posts
Partner

Great idea Ian.

I would love this too.  I have a client that uses their Credit Card for all purchases.  When using Spend Money "Pay from Account" needs to be amended for every transaction.  It would be fantastic to have a global setting that could be changed to cater for this.

Ann

oheather
1 Post
Cover User

Definitely need to be able to set a default for Bank Deposits too. Its really time consuming to have to delete deposits and reenter them when they have been made to the wrong account.

We have noticed too that sometimes there is a glitch, and when we process a deposit to another bank account for some reason in the background it is still defaulting to the bank account with the lowest account number.

Very annoying.