Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Banking: Change the Automatic Cheque Numbering

JPH
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

26Posts

540Kudos

0Solutions

26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

Remove the automatic cheque numbers for every transaction in spend money and payroll.  Most clients use internet banking & EFT these days, so cheques shouldn't be the default option.  If you write a cheque you should manually enter the cheque number in MYOB.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2012

Thanks for the feedback. We've taken this on board with our upcoming Bank Feeds function which only uses Cheque number when the source is actually a cheque, otherwise we default to EFT. This should save a lot of typing!

163 Comments
Julie_B
Trusted User
230 Posts
Trusted User

... and if we choose not to use bank feeds?  We have to get the cheque number, no matter what is actually written in there, EXACTLY letter-for-letter/number correct, otherwise the download bank statement/bank reconciliation matching doesn't work.

Growers
Trusted Cover User
61 Posts
Trusted Cover User

No, Duncan, we don't use bank feeds for much the same reason as Julie_B just mentioned.

Let's face it, we've only been connected to electricity for the last month. Technology is slow around our neck of the woods.   Smiley Happy

Grumpyoldman
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I'm another user who doesn't use bank feeds. Most of my transactions are either 'EFTPOS' or 'EFT' with the occasional 'Cash' . It would be helpful for a drop down list to select one of a range or simply set a default to the most commonly used.

As things stand every transaction needs an entry change in the cheque number feild every time.

Who uses Cheques these days anyway????? I even pay my MYOB support by EFT

GazzaA
Experienced Cover User
69 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I agree, the financial world now encourages us all to do our business electronically and the MYOB software should provide the option to set say  EFT as the default setting in place of automatically showing the next Cheque number.

Heather_Nowak
Partner
6 Posts
Partner

SLBowden
Partner
76 Posts
Partner

I agree, and it would be good if when processing the next EFT of chq it automatically went there and not the date. Not many people use cheques now adays, I really like this thought Smiley Happy

Paul_Maconochie
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I strongly support this.

I have suggested this a few times over the years. The response has been deafening silence. It is all very well asking for customer feedback and suggestions. But if nothings seems to get implemented then it just leads to frustration and disenchantment with the product.

malstamac
6 Posts
Cover User

U can mimic this on recurring payments, but it would be good to see it being set in [Suppliers] in the [Payments] tab, where a prefix could be set to the trans no such as:

EFT00001 which increments in the same way as cheques.

EG: EFT00001, EFT00002 ... EFT00009

We are not talking about the pathetic SC280213 and IE280213 date based ones in Bank Entry, but user defined ones that would increment even when the prefix is typed into the ch/trans no.  IE, it would find the next available no as U typed.

EG: Typing EFT would give EFT00010, the next available sequence no from above.  It could also be a drop down list which give the next sequence no for each user defined ch/trans prefix.

This way U would get a unique no without have to keep a separate run list in XL or the like.

Maggie99
Partner
15 Posts
Partner

Todays businesses primarily use EFT as their primary method of payment of accounts. It is difficult to comprehend that an accounting software does not provide adequately for the broader business community.

As a minimum, there should be a facility to provide a preference setting to accommodate EFT as a default entry for mode of payment.

It is noted that previous requests for this facility were marked as 'solved' when the solution provided in response was 'no this cannot be done' . The only suggestion provided by the MYOB respondent was to set up a recurring entry - how absurd.

Maggie99
Partner
15 Posts
Partner

With nearly 284 clients using MYOB there are only a handful that pay accounts by cheque. It is extremely frustrating having to data enter  EFT in place of cheque number when using the bank register or spend money for recording payments. It is also frustrating when solutions for this issue are offerred through using 'pay bills' or 'recurring entries' as these are only used in a limited number of businesses.

MYOB need to provide software for use by the broader business community and refrain from blinkered programming.