Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Banking: Change the Automatic Cheque Numbering

JPH
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

26Posts

540Kudos

0Solutions

26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

Remove the automatic cheque numbers for every transaction in spend money and payroll.  Most clients use internet banking & EFT these days, so cheques shouldn't be the default option.  If you write a cheque you should manually enter the cheque number in MYOB.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2012

Thanks for the feedback. We've taken this on board with our upcoming Bank Feeds function which only uses Cheque number when the source is actually a cheque, otherwise we default to EFT. This should save a lot of typing!

163 Comments
CommonCents
Contributing Cover User
11 Posts
Contributing Cover User

It really is unacceptable that nothing has happened in this area.

You tell us to vote, well 283 people have voted and still nothing.

It's been 5 years, what a joke.

#helloxero

Wendymic
2 Posts
User

I can't believe that this issue hasn't been addressed yet!!!!!!

MannahL
3 Posts
Cover User

Over 5 years being "under consideration".  Guess I will retire before this is considered.

Ianinfinance
Experienced Cover User
31 Posts
Experienced Cover User

MYOB this change to the auto cheque numbering is grossly overdue. Could you please expedite. 

Trash
3 Posts
Cover User

The automatic cheque numbering is creating so much extra work - this needs to be corrected ASAP.  When you allocate funds, you can't even see the reference number, its not until you are actually recording a cheque you find you can't use it because its already in use.

This needs to be improved and simplified

Heather_Nowak
Partner
6 Posts
Partner

It would be great to be able to have a default ID for purposes of processing payroll - that is, a default ID per employee eg EFT or WAGES.  I have a number of clients who do not want the automatically generated number and often only have to access the wage to change this ID.  This is particularly annoying if the regular wage is the same every time - staff on salaries for example.  

Nat_EziLedger
Partner
2 Posts
Partner

Hi MYOB,

Considering Cheques are rarely used anymore, and are being phased out in Australia according to the banks, can we perhaps revamp the 'Cheque Number' field for Spend Money etc?

Most of my clients enter the method of payment here so they know where to look in their records.  For example, DD for Direct Debits (source docs bank statements and origianl contracts), EFT for Electronic payments that dont go through the .ABA files (source docs is the bank statements and receipts), BPAY for billers paid via this method, and CASHOUT if an owner has withdrawn funds form the bank.

I realise some use the cheque numbers as an ID for the transaction but the field seems almost redundant, especially if your using the attachments. 

Correspondingly, I think the Cheques being printed checkbox is also redundant.  Although you can default this to Already Printed, it still seems redundant in this day and age of electronic transfers.

Perhaps other MYOB users have a better idea to utilise this field?

Persoanlly, I would like to set it to be an automated text field where I can choose the default entry, perhaps to be made up of method of payment, date and a transaction ID EG EFT07032019-1, EFT07032019-2 etc for the day. 

I realise this wont warn me if I have paid the item twice, but to be honest, unless you are using a cheque book and ensuring your cheque numbers match your MYOB entry, the warning is redundant in most cases.  A more appropriate warning could be triggered if the card number, date and amount matched perhaps?

Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Nat

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello Nat @Nat_EziLedger 

I understand your feelings re the field "Cheque Number" but feel that MYOB should simply change Cheque # to read "Reference No."

Many MYOB users make life hard for themselves, by changing the Cheque #  field to EFT etc. This means that you have to change the entry in perhaps 99% of transactions that you do.

I always get my clients to ignore the fact that the field name says 'Cheque No" and instead consider that it is a transaction reference number, and just let the number increment as it wants to.

When there is an actual physical cheque to be entered then instead of the auto number manually enter CH12345 with 12345 as the actual cheque #. The prefix CH will stop the system from incrementing. In this way you only need to make a change for perhaps 1% of your transactions.

If you do want to have a note that it was EFT or BPay then add this to the memo line instead, but actually I would not worry.

The other great benefit in doing this is that each transaction has a different and unique reference #. Would you want all your invoices to not have a distinctive invoice # and for them all to have "INV" ?

I find it very frustrating when reviewing a client file and trying to find a single transaction when they all have a reference EFT (or BS - bank statement or PAY - payroll payments, or V - Visa or BP - Bpay) when there are a number with the same amount or memo etc. It makes it difficult to find the right transaction to review or edit without having to open them all. This is the real time looser! I usually manually change the first transaction to something like 10001, away from the current cheque series and let the system go from there. Try it - it will save you a lot of time & effort. Perhaps in a future release MYOB will change the designation of this field from'Cheque No' to something like 'Payment Ref' so that users do not feel the need to always change it, after all I agree that cheques are a dying means of paying others, and the banks are discouraging it. I hope that this helps.

Cheers

David  

Nat_EziLedger
Partner
2 Posts
Partner

Hi @David_Cree ,

I completely agree with you! I belive it should just be treated as a reference number too so that it can be identified when reveiwing.

I think everyone has found a way to use this redundant field that suits them, but rarely is it used as it was intended to in the beginning!  It just stands out as a field that definately needs some updating, or as you said, just change the name to Payment Ref :-)

Am hoping MYOB remove the 'Cheque' from their vocabulary soon.

Thanks for the input,

Nat

sheza2
Contributing Cover User
15 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Concur - this option is outdated.  ALL our transactions are online.  NO cheques at all.

I mentioned this a long long time ago.