Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Banking: Change the Automatic Cheque Numbering

JPH
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

26Posts

540Kudos

0Solutions

26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

Remove the automatic cheque numbers for every transaction in spend money and payroll.  Most clients use internet banking & EFT these days, so cheques shouldn't be the default option.  If you write a cheque you should manually enter the cheque number in MYOB.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2012

Thanks for the feedback. We've taken this on board with our upcoming Bank Feeds function which only uses Cheque number when the source is actually a cheque, otherwise we default to EFT. This should save a lot of typing!

163 Comments
JackieW
Trusted Cover User
100 Posts
Trusted Cover User

We still need to retain the cheque number option as I have a client who writes numerous cheques per week due to the nature of their business.  We are steadily reducing the number of cheques they use but they will always need to use some.

sheza2
Contributing Cover User
15 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Our payments are a mix of EFT, Debit Card and online bank.  NO cheques at all so I too agree with Nat re the text field

Cheers

Sherayl

georgieh
Experienced Cover User
46 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Has there been any update on this since these comments 6 years ago? Surely MYOB is listening and there's a solution now?

LynMannah
4 Posts
Cover User

Another great idea which will unfortunately be ignored by MYOB.  Still waiting for a fix for a suggestion from 5 years ago and over 13 pages of support to get done.  Seems they are so busy developing "new" ideas rather than looking at fixing existing issues.

Lauretta
1 Post
User

When using the Spend Money function within bank feeds, I suggest the following specifically relating to the 'Cheque No' field:

1. As an option be able to change to 'Reference No' 

2. Have this Reference number automatically update as it does when using the Spend Money function within Bank register. 

Payments from the acount will then have a sequential reference number so the related invoice can be scanned and saved with the Reference number from MYOB.

AUCKLAND
Experienced Cover User
39 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Isn't it about time this was sorted?

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Agree. Just change the text on the screens to Reference No.

Michelle_L_H
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I also personally would like to set it to be an automated text field where I can choose the default entry, perhaps to be made up of method of payment, date and a transaction ID number.  For myself however, I would set it up in this numerical order starting with the financial year then the month and date.

EG: EFT20190731-1 than EFT20190731-2 etc for the day. This is how I file all my reports with this numerically order to the cloud as it is easy to find even two years down the track as it filed in the financial year first not the date.  

I also believe the system of the cheque numbers are totally outdated especially in the Spend Money and the Payroll ID.

Ian_Forsyth
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

IN 2019.3 Bank Feed Rules have started using cheque numbers instead of EFT! That's a real pain as now I have to go and change them all to EFT or just process them without using the rule.

Kmac63
Contributing Cover User
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User

What about when you are manually using Spend Money?  This post was 7 years ago, has anything been done?