Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Email: SMTP servers to email

Partner

2,368Posts

408Kudos

424Solutions

2,368 Posts
Partner
Australia

At the moment, my understanding is that MYOB relies on MAPI to send e'mails and if you are using an e'mail that does not use MAPI API's you have to save reports as, say PDF, and manually send by e'mail.

As a user who chooses not to use Outlook for various reasons, I set up the MAPI settings in Windows Control Panel, but still MYOB does not send my e'mails.

Could someone please explain why MYOB will not allow me to enter my SMTP settings and connect to my mail server with alternative APIs - such as the CDO set?

Supporting only MAPI appears to be very restrictive to users who need to use software other than Outlook and must create more support calls than is necessary - not to mention unhappy users.

Thanks.

"Please can we use SMTP servers to send e'mails from MYOB"

Current Status: Maybe later
Last Changed: January 2017

Hi Everyone

With the release of AccountRight 2016.1, the primary focus has been on the Online Emailing capabilities. This features enables users to send emails directly from their company file in the cloud without the need of a desktop email program. Another advantage of online emailing is the ability to view and track invoices using PayDirect Online.

At this stage we don’t have any immediate plans to investigate other email systems in future AccountRight products. Therefore this particular idea has been marked as ‘Maybe Later’ as something that we may revisit in the future but are will not be actively considering at the moment.

Thank you for showing your support and voting for this idea.

18 Comments
Jeanies_JC
2 Posts
User

I think I am having the same problem.  Does MYOB just fail when it tries to send your email or does it come up with an error message?  If so, what is the error message?

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Ha Ha! I had the most amazing thing happen.

Thought I'd just try resending an e'mail to capture the error, so while I was setting up a new dummy customer, Huxley crashed - as usual.

One of the options was to send a copy of the error message to MYOB, so I selected that option, and guess what? The e'mail was sent correctly.

Now, if they can write their error routines to work, why can't I send my invoices the same way?

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Bump.

Would it be possible to get some comment or recognition from MYOB about this?

This is really causing grief for a number of my clients.

Thanks.

Daveyw76
13 Posts
User

It would be great if the developers could move the email architecture into the OS's native SMTP server rather than having to call on a default email program.

When I send out the payslips each week, I need to open up a mail client each time to "force" the mail from the outbox.  This is not ideal for the process I have set up and performs differently depending on which computer I am using (sends from different email addresses).

Barry_C
MYOB Staff
2,948 Posts
MYOB Staff
Thanks for the idea. We would love to hear what other users think about this. Please keep the comments and votes coming.
jclegrice
1 Post
User

Having issues with a couple of clients and wish this would zoom to the top of the priority list. In particular the problem of the Outlook popup "A Program is trying to access..." requiring the workaround of "ClickYes" to get a working program.

Sticking with a long obsolete technology that is MAPI and moving to direct smtp will do you a lot of favours.

I fail to understand why MYOB persists with this when SMTP is just easier to implement. Oh and guys when you do decide to implement, don't forget the SSL and TLS librarys to. The world is preferring secure SMTP these days.

Daveyw76
13 Posts
User

Hi there, I was wondering if there are any plans in future developments of AccountRight Plus, to change the email delivery protocol.

Currently, the facility to send email is quite clumsy in that:

1.  You have to have MS Outlook installed on the computer to merge email data (which adds a further minimum AUD$140 to the 'setup costs' of MYOB per workstation);

2.  You need to open the email program each time, to ensure the mail are sent from the 'outbox'

3.  There is limited facility for personalising or branding email forms out side of basic text (this is cosmetic and less important)

I would like to suggest that the email protocol is changed to using the native SMTP services on the OS rather than the current .mapi protocol.  This would open up solutions to my challenges above, and more!

I am interested in your thoughts.

Dave.

jaredquinn
1 Post
User

This would be a fantastic feature for MYOB.   I would prefer to remove outlook entirely from the environments I support if I could unfortunately those that use MYOB have no other option.

Directly sending email by SMTP would be much preferred.

Daveyw76
13 Posts
User

I have been keen to see this feature for a long time in the AccountRight product.  Firstly it would eliminate the requirement to have Outlook installed on the computer and having to deal with security popups.  It is a much more elegant solution.

MAPI is yesterday's news  Smiley Happy

Cooee
2 Posts
User

MYOB please implement this! It could solve my current issues with MYOB and Office 2013 64 bit.