Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Installation: Allow Partners to work on multiple versions without installing older versions

Partner

12Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

12 Posts
Partner
Australia

Bookkeeping firms with multiple clients need the ability to work on different versions of files without having to upgrade them.

Currently when a new client turns up with their typically out-of-date MYOB company file, there is no easy way to work on this company file if the desktops all have current releases of software installed on them. It is not possible for example to install different versions of Plus 19.x side-by side on the same PC.

For example, a new client hands over their Plus 19.6 MYOB file. Inside the bookkeeping business the desktops have the lastest Plus 19.9 installed.

The options are;

1. Uninstall Plus 19.9 and install Plus 19.6 to work on their company file. This typically involves IT and is not flexible. Our bookkeeepers work on many different client files every day.

2. Upgrade the MYOB file to Plus 19.9 and have the client either pay for a one off upgrade to the latest version (with the same issue repeating down the track) or signup to a maintenance program.

3. Maintain multiple real or virtual desktops with different versions of Plus installed on each.

4. Change the serial number license associated with the company file to use the partner licenses which are up-to-date and then deal with the handover of the file later on. This appears to be the cheapest solution but if the client wants to work on their premises at the same time, this doesn't work.

All of these have financial implications and whilst it is logical that MYOB would prefer the 2nd option, the question is, is it reasonable for the bookkeepers to have put the pressure on their _new_ client to upgrade their MYOB software.

I suspect some accounting firms may be in a similar position, but accounting firms may not need to hand the file back to the client after they have worked on it.

MYOB need to value their partners and come up with a satisfactory solution to this problem.

I have posted this 'idea' as requested by the representive I spoke to yesterday who couldn't provide me a solution to this issue.

Regards

Helen

"Allow bookkeepers to work on multiple versions of MYOB files from one desktop"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: February 2023

Hi Everyone

For the AccountRight PC Edition (version 2021.1 onwards) and the AccountRight Server Edition (version 2022.4 onwards), AccountRight will check for available updates, download them and update you to the latest version automatically. This does mean that all users should be using the latest version of the software.

If the customer does have a perpetual licence and they are not on the latest version we do recommend they get in touch for us to offer assistance with that upgrade to the latest version.

16 Comments
jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Why don't you have multiple versions of the software loaded on the required computers? I have no less than 10 versions of MYOB on my laptop.

B_Elite
Partner
12 Posts
Partner

Thanks. What is the latest version you have on yours please jenniek

B_Elite
Partner
12 Posts
Partner

Hi again, what I acutally meant was I cannot have 19.6 and 19.9 on the same computer. Can you?

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi there,

Can you not load a full version of each into a new folder. In NZ we have 19.5 and 19.8 - to load I would create a new folder called Plus19.8 and load into that folder rather than into the default folder. However you would need a full install not just an update.

B_Elite
Partner
12 Posts
Partner

Hi,

I also thought this used to work, but as of 19.9 it appears this ability was removed. I tried this multiple times in multiple ways and was always asked to uninstall previous versions.

Installing different versions of MYOB to separate folders is a solution I have used in the past. It was also a potential solution suggested by MYOB yesterday with the caveat that they don't support or recommend multiple installations.

If you know a method of getting this to work I would be very interested. It potentially may be as simple as the sequence of installation. ie Installing the newest versions first and working backwards even though this would be awkward for every new release.

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hmmm. seems silly that they have taken this option away - sorry I haven't come across this - yet! I too would be advocating multiple versions. I know in the perfect world MYOB would like everyone on the latest version, but the reality is not everyone will be, and this will never be the case for the like of bookeepers and consultants like us.

B_Elite
Partner
12 Posts
Partner

Thanks for your emails jenniek. Best you stay at 19.8 for awhile..lol Hopefully they rethink and change it as very small businesses cannot afford to pay a monthly fee or upgrade as regular as MYOB has been of late. Cheers.

Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff
Thank you for your post, B_Elite. I can understand the need for bookkeeping firms such as yours needing to install multiple versions of a software on a single machine. As you are aware and mentioned by jenniek, this used to be possible in the past, by simply changing the folder name of the second and following installs. However this is no longer possible with v19. This may be something that can be brought back in future updates. In the meantime please refer to my post below for a possible workaround. We request others who would like this to be brought back to please Vote and add comments.
Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @B_Elite 

Further to my comments above, a workaround that you could try would be to install Premier and Enterprise for the other versions.

So if you currently have Plus v19.9 installed, you could install Premier v19.6 and Enterprise v19.5.

It is however important that you do not use any of the additional features (multi currency, multi location Inventory, negative inventory and so on) available in Premier and Enterprise.

Also please note that you would not be able to confirm your client's files in these versions.

Regards,

Suja
MYOB Support 

B_Elite
Partner
12 Posts
Partner

Thanks Suja. I have Premier 19.6 installed as I have some clients on that. I will have a go at your suggestion. Ta, Helen