Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Installation: Allow Partners to work on multiple versions without installing older versions

Partner

12Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

12 Posts
Partner
Australia

Bookkeeping firms with multiple clients need the ability to work on different versions of files without having to upgrade them.

Currently when a new client turns up with their typically out-of-date MYOB company file, there is no easy way to work on this company file if the desktops all have current releases of software installed on them. It is not possible for example to install different versions of Plus 19.x side-by side on the same PC.

For example, a new client hands over their Plus 19.6 MYOB file. Inside the bookkeeping business the desktops have the lastest Plus 19.9 installed.

The options are;

1. Uninstall Plus 19.9 and install Plus 19.6 to work on their company file. This typically involves IT and is not flexible. Our bookkeeepers work on many different client files every day.

2. Upgrade the MYOB file to Plus 19.9 and have the client either pay for a one off upgrade to the latest version (with the same issue repeating down the track) or signup to a maintenance program.

3. Maintain multiple real or virtual desktops with different versions of Plus installed on each.

4. Change the serial number license associated with the company file to use the partner licenses which are up-to-date and then deal with the handover of the file later on. This appears to be the cheapest solution but if the client wants to work on their premises at the same time, this doesn't work.

All of these have financial implications and whilst it is logical that MYOB would prefer the 2nd option, the question is, is it reasonable for the bookkeepers to have put the pressure on their _new_ client to upgrade their MYOB software.

I suspect some accounting firms may be in a similar position, but accounting firms may not need to hand the file back to the client after they have worked on it.

MYOB need to value their partners and come up with a satisfactory solution to this problem.

I have posted this 'idea' as requested by the representive I spoke to yesterday who couldn't provide me a solution to this issue.

Regards

Helen

"Allow bookkeepers to work on multiple versions of MYOB files from one desktop"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: February 2023

Hi Everyone

For the AccountRight PC Edition (version 2021.1 onwards) and the AccountRight Server Edition (version 2022.4 onwards), AccountRight will check for available updates, download them and update you to the latest version automatically. This does mean that all users should be using the latest version of the software.

If the customer does have a perpetual licence and they are not on the latest version we do recommend they get in touch for us to offer assistance with that upgrade to the latest version.

16 Comments
carmen
Partner
62 Posts
Partner

Hi All,

This is very interesting.  I have several clients on V19.6 and have not upgraded to 19.9 as the subscription costs are way too high.  I have automatically opened up the data files in 19.9 and there has never been a warning to suggest upgrading from 19.6 to 19.9?  Is this going to cause a problem when the time comes to confirm the company file?

Carmen Smiley Happy

Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Carmen,

Thank you for your enquiry. You are right, the program does not prompt you to upgrade a file from v19.6 when opened in v19.9 (or v19.7 / 19.8 for that matter), due to the version number (v19) being the same. 

This most often will not cause any issues with confirming the file. However if the file were to be opened in v19.9 and then taken back to v19.6 there can be issues caused due to the different Payroll Tax Tables in the two versions. 

Therefore it is recommended to open the clients' files using the version that they are registered for, except in situations (as per my suggestion to Helen) where the files are opened using different programs with the same version numbers (Plus v19.6 / Premier v19.6 / Enterprise v19.6). 

Regards,

Suja
MYOB Support

CloudMindAcc
Ultimate Partner
1,949 Posts
Ultimate Partner

I just simply have each version installed.  It takes a few hours to get it sorted and yet after that it is smooth running.  Sometimes the  little effort to get all the versions installed outways the frustration of not being able to open the files.   Personally I would rather MYOB spend the time working on "ideas" in the latest versions rather than re-creating the wheel. Smiley Happy

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner

I agree with BooksInTheCloud - I have voted.

AndrewP
3 Posts
User

Hi

BooksInTheCloud please could you give some tips on how to install the different versions. B_Elite was suggesting that you couldn't install v19.6 and 19.9 on the same computer. Suja_P seemed to be confirming this with her work around. I haven't tried yet but I also need to open a client's file from v19.6 in a copy of v19.9. Any help would be aprreciated.

AndrewP

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Everyone

For the AccountRight PC Edition (version 2021.1 onwards) and the AccountRight Server Edition (version 2022.4 onwards), AccountRight will check for available updates, download them and update you to the latest version automatically. This does mean that all users should be using the latest version of the software.

If the customer does have a perpetual licence and they are not on the latest version we do recommend they get in touch for us to offer assistance with that upgrade to the latest version.