Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Inventory: Adding "I Inventory this item" to an existing item

Cover User

1Posts

16Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User

When I started using MYOB I was incorrectly informed that the items could be inventoried at a later date, I have since found out that this is not the case when a purchase or sale has been applied. Can there be a way to still be able to inventory at a later date be included in the updates as currently the inventory can  be adjusted manually.

Also I have found that multiple descriptions of one item have been entered when adding items to the items lists, can a card merge, such as used for card files or accounts, be implemented so that you don't end up with a huge number of inactive duplicate items

"Ability to change the “I Inventory this Item” box after an item has been created and posted against."

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2012

Thanks for the feedback Kirsti. There is a fair bit of complex accounting going on under the hood with inventory so this restriction is a safety measure to ensure that all the Inventory journals are correct. What do others think, is it an important thing to change?

8 Comments
Dan_Moulton
40 Posts
Former Staff
Thanks for the feedback Kirsti. There is a fair bit of complex accounting going on under the hood with inventory so this restriction is a safety measure to ensure that all the Inventory journals are correct. What do others think, is it an important thing to change?
Julia_Berkhout
Super Partner
326 Posts
Super Partner
I think adding I inventory this item to be added would be useful, swapping back and forth yes could be dangerous. Imagine a huge list, who wants to inventory everything at a later date. To merge duplicate items would be a godsend! Don't know how many lists I have seen with 2+++ multiple items or whole sections that need to be inactivated and sent to ZZ- a lot of work to do to clean up. Just my thoughts thanks for listening
KMack
Contributing Cover User
11 Posts
Contributing Cover User

merging of two items would be fantastic.  I agree with Julia that we have over time got so many duplicated items and the possibility is always there that the wrong one is used. 

What is the best way to make an item become I inventory this item.  we need it for price changes only and it would save a lot of time if we could just increase all by a percentage.

Linhayres
3 Posts
Cover User

Many of our items were entered years ago and not all boxes were ticked, ie I buy. Sell Inventory. If the profile changes, we are unable to enter the changes on the item. (You have sales etc for this item) Can this be changed to allow us to amend the profile.

Ryan-C
Experienced Cover User
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User

It is a pain and costs a lot of time, we took the path kirsti has - because we moved carefully, and have spent so much time, the biggest problem we now have, if we want to anylse consumption of an item across say 5 years - we have to find the old inactive card, get the hostory off that, and then also the new card.

We have got used to it now, but it is rather a pain and often a cause of frustrated coments from the team.

Dean_Peart
Contributing Cover User
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I've been using MYOB for a few years now and I have just encountered this issue.

This is frustrating for me mainly because the other programs I have synced to MYOB (e.g. my online store) interpret codes with no associated stock quantity (items that I don't track inventory for) as being out of stock, which is causing issues. So, of course, I thought I would just go and enable inventory tracking, which as I now know is not as simple as it would seem.

I would definitely like the ability to merge item codes. I think the others in this thread have articulated a lot of good reasons for this, but for me, the two main benefits would be:

• Being able to create a new item code with inventory tracking enabled and then combine with the old item code, and then be able to select which attributes/settings to keep, such as tracked inventory
  • as a bonus, clean up our huge list of 'ZZ' junk items codes that have accumulated over our 10+ years of maintaining a MYOB company file.

Without the ability to merge items I imagine my list of ZZ junk codes will simply keep growing, and in the long term, I will likely have to look at moving to another solution. I notice that a lot of other cloud accounting systems are beginning to suggest that people use a separate system for inventory and I feel as if I am starting to understand why.

Naeleen
1 Post
User

I am trying to change current Items from

BUY & SELL to BUY & SELL & INVENTORY but Error comes up 

"Error - you have sales or purchases on file for this item"

NarelleMc
1 Post
User

I also am looking for an answer to 

I am trying to change current Items from

BUY & SELL to BUY & SELL & INVENTORY but Error comes up