Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
JTRenos
2 Posts
Cover User

It's 2017 and I didn't even consider that MYOB  PayDirect online system wouldn't be set up to add the credit card surcharge, this is a must for small business. MYOB this needs to be put in place, otherwise what's the use of using PayDirect.

DPStudios
2 Posts
Cover User

I would use the PayDIrect Online system if MYOB automatically added a merchant fee for credit card payments to the invoice

VGCSA
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I agree it makes no sense to have introduced PayDirect Online without having the facility to add the credit card surcharge - we too are a non-profit organisation who can not afford the excess fees - nor is it fair to impose a blanket extra charge on to our other members who choose to pay by EFT or cheque. 

Please consider reviewing to make it actually worthwhile using. 

sal2107
Trusted Cover User
66 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Completely agree and I won't be using this service until the option is included.

NomadPartners
Experienced Partner
17 Posts
Experienced Partner

I've just moved to Xero - about the same price, and with Strip its a small % of the CC total.

FrenchlineInd
14 Posts
Cover User

If MYOB  cam calculate fees and pass this onto the customer that would be alot better and easier for us business owners. If this is the way customers would like to pay they should be the ones paying the fees not us even though we may get paid faster.

Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff

Thank you everyone for your comments and votes on this idea.

Those of you who have used PayDirect Online will find it to be a great tool to make collecting invoice payments easier. By giving your customers the ability to pay straight from their online invoice, you can now spend lesser time chasing payments.

According to the RBA, in Australia it takes an average of 45* days for an invoice to be paid. And we have found that invoices that are paid using PayDirect Online are paid on average in just 11 days. That’s a reduction of the average payment time by almost three quarters!!

We recognise that having the ability to oncharge credit card surcharge is a very popular request among our PayDirect Online clients. However, research shows that while customers enjoy the benefits of being able to pay by credit card, they find the act of surcharge being passed on as an annoyance. Something that tends not to be rewarded by customer loyalty.

So, before we commit to the development of this request, we are conducting our own research to analyse the impact of such a change on the speed of invoice payments.

I will provide an update on this idea as soon as I have something more to share on the topic.

*Source: Dun & Bradstreet, “Australian Trade Payments Analysis: Payment times remain low in Australia”

yabb2u
Experienced Cover User
38 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I refer to the update I just saw that says:

<< Thank you everyone for your comments and votes on this idea.

<<Those of you who have used PayDirect Online will find it to be a great tool to make collecting invoice payments easier. By giving your customers the ability to pay straight from their online invoice, you can now spend lesser time chasing payments.

<<According to the RBA, in Australia it takes an average of 45* days for an invoice to be paid. And we have found that invoices that are paid using PayDirect Online are paid on average in just 11 days. That’s a reduction of the average payment time by almost three quarters!!

<< We recognise that having the ability to oncharge credit card surcharge is a very popular request among our PayDirect Online clients. However, research shows that while customers enjoy the benefits of being able to pay by credit card, they find the act of surcharge being passed on as an annoyance. Something that tends not to be rewarded by customer loyalty.

<< So, before we commit to the development of this request, we are conducting our own research to analyse the impact of such a change on the speed of invoice payments.

<< I will provide an update on this idea as soon as I have something more to share on the topic.

<< *Source: Dun & Bradstreet, “Australian Trade Payments Analysis: Payment times remain low in Australia”

Umm, aren't we talking about a charge that we want to pass on to our customers not MYOB's customers?

Why should MYOB conduct a survey and ultimately decide if we will be allowed to charge our customers the fee that MYOB have charged us?

Or does this mean that if MYOB's survey shows that customers do not like being charged the fee then MYOB will stop charging its customers (us) the fee?

If that is the case then let me pass my vote right here and now - I think MYOB should not charge us the fee - drop the surcharge to us and I won't want to pass it on to our customers

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Hi MYOB, 

301 requests for this feature.

I would suggest this indicates that the users of your software would like this feature.  Whatever surveys have been done by D&B or any other company, they are not your customers.

Please stop trying to be a small business advisor telling your clients what is good for them and return to being a software publisher who develop solid products that provide the users with features they need and want.

Obviously, if this feature existed in your software, it would have to be optional to turn it on.

Alan

Korschy
2 Posts
Cover User

Hi MYOB,

How about you listen to your clients, develop the ability to add the charge (which I'm sure is quite easy considering wordpress have the ability for web stores) and let YOUR customer tick the box if they want it to apply to their invoices. Some can select to apply the surcharge, others not. OR maybe you could build in another option saying if you pay within 14 days no surcharge applies and any payments after that pay the surchage... then you keep all your clients and yourselves happy too!

Andrew