Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
RLC782
2 Posts
Cover User

Frankly I believe your sample data to be inaccurate.

of course if you ask customers they are going to say that it is unfair! However if you ask those same customers to pay for someone else to cover the fee they would believe it’s more unfair. 

Also it’s standard in some industries like my own, it gives the customer the option to pay on credit a bit more or pay nothing on BPay. You are enforcing the small business owner to cover the cost. 

Most importantly it is LEGAL to oncharge the exact merchant amount to the customer!

i don’t like paying tax, using your philosophy should I no longer pay because it’s unfair!

please look into changing this... this is the business owners decision not myob...

also technology is moving faster than your companies current development releases. You can’t use myob to  intergrate with apple square or pay pal. Your app capabilities are severely lacking and don’t even correlate to the settings up on your web browser ie.. email template settings, user comments on your invoices. Searching customers by a search bar on the app instead of scrolling down.. the list could go on... 

A-L
Experienced Cover User
34 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I think of the reply as poor. 

If a business turns over 2 million and if for arguments sake , the payments are to be paid via credit card a surcharge hit of 1.8 percent, that would cost a whopping $36000. 

To say most businesses do not pass over a surcharge is a load of nonsense. Large retailers do not or have it implemented into their costs, but majority of small to medium businesses have a surcharge.

Not to be able to implement a surcharge to the invoice is absolutely ridiculous. This alone is a deterrant for me to set up myob direct payments.

Biz-Elevation
Partner
1 Post
Partner

Hi MYOB,

Is there an ETA for passing on the surcharge? 

Thanks

Jess Browne

Biz Elevation

Novice_BK
2 Posts
User

YES! this issue is the only reason we area not using online payments.

Jessie_FC
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I'm geniunely baffled as to why this is still not an available as an option two years after this was raised. It is common practice now for traders, especially small businesses, to on charge merchant fees to customers if they choose that payment option.

Just another reason why MYOB is behind the times and losing market share.

Suzi_Byrom
Contributing Cover User
50 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Got excited when I went to log in today with an AccountRight Announcement popping up "Now you can accept AMEX payments online" ... thinking "yay - maybe they've FINALLY acted on our requests"? So I click 'Learn more' only to find that yes they'd reduced their % charges but that's all Smiley Sad

Seeing as MYOB has no problem in charging their clients (being us) the 25c Transaction Fee plus 1.8% of the Invoice Value … how about you get around to adding the automated option to allow 'us' the choice of whether 'we' want to pass on the surcharges to 'our' clients? Cause quite frankly we don't care what research you do, at the end of the day it's our business ... so until either MYOB drops their added fees or include the automated option we won't be activating this feature on our MYOB.

This has been suggested on your AccountRight Idea Exchange and commented on god knows how many times yet MYOB continues to refuse to act on their clients requests. This is our choice not MYOB's.

ccall48
Experienced Partner
33 Posts
Experienced Partner

Agree 100% Suzi_Byrom.

Its alright for the little guy to cop the hit, they dont miss out on on charging the fee's to us they're the merchant after all.

CDNW
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

So MYOB this is what you have come up with in your research...

• 8 in 10 consumers think paying extra fee’s is unfair - As consumers of your service WE THINK PAYING EXTRA FEES IS UNFAIR
• 1 in 4 consumers will walk away from the purchase - How many of your consumers have walked away?
• 74% of small businesses don’t pass on their merchant fee’s - How about you leave that choice up to the small busiesses. As a large bsiness you certainly don't mind passing on the fees to your customers. 

Matho
Contributing Cover User
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Totally agree. I haven't signed up to pay direct or got a device for this exact reason. I am a small 1 person business and cannot afford to be wearing the surcharges my self. All though it may not seem much on a $100 invoice it is quiet substantial on a $2000 invoice and i cannot justify it. If the automatic surcharge option was added i would sign up today. If people dont want to pay the surcharge thats fine then they still have the option to pay by cash, cheque or bank transfer, but untill such thing is avaliable i will not be getting pay direct.

In regards to the bpay option, does this have fees & can it be added without the credit card addition?

Lalaloopsy
Partner
1 Post
Partner

I disagree with MYOB’s reasoning as to why you can’t choose to add the credit card surcharge. Also I don’t believe it’s up to MYOB to make this decision on behalf of businesses. MYOB can recommend  it not to be used, but they shouldn’t take that option away all together. I’ve made payments to various institutions and vendors and there have been many that charge the credit card surcharge. If I choose to pay using a credit card fee I accept it. I don’t not purchase the product or service because of the credit card surcharge.