Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
LC3016
Contributing User
10 Posts
Contributing User

Good suggestion.  Can't wait until it is available!

KathyTB
Partner
13 Posts
Partner

Hey everyone, until MYOB enables a direct charge to the customer's card for the surcharge component, if you want to recover it from the customer, I suggest you add it as an additional line on your customer invoice. The charge is $0.25 plus 1.8% of the final invoice total and this amount is GST-inclusive.

To work out the surcharge, multiply the original invoice total by 0.01832994 and add $0.25.

So for a sale of $11,000 incl. GST, the invoice total will be $11,201.88 including GST. The surcharge is $201.88 incl. GST.

ccall48
Experienced Partner
33 Posts
Experienced Partner

Hi KathyTB,

While that is the case, it still doesn't help us if the customer pays it online with myob paydirect at their leisure as the OP states we get hit with the fee.

CartonConcepts
14 Posts
Cover User

Regardless of how many people have voted or commented on this simple request, it has fallen upon deaf ears. With competitors like Xero being so open to accepting 3rd parties, MYOB is really falling being.

Upon going to a trade show recently, there are many other options for merchants out there such as TYRO who are offering essentially the same rates with a proper terminal and the ability to take payments over the phone, but with the option to set up the surcharge to be absorbed by the seller or automatically passed on to the purchaser at the terminal itself.

I purchased the Bluetooth Cardreader (now no longer offered by MYOB), but the system doesn't even give the option of creating a merchant copy that I can place on the file. It does give the ability to email or SMS a copy of the receipt to the customer, but not the seller. I have worked out that I can go back into the system and resend another copy to myself, but it should be automatic.

TYRO can integrate with Xero and others, but with MYOB being so exclusive in offering their own products, I would just need to update the invoices manually - still much easier than having to modify the invoices for a surcharge and reprint it again.

Sorry MYOB, you are certainly not doing yourselves any favours and about to lose another customer. There's plenty of other offerings out there, it is just a pain in the rear moving over files and starting again. Please implement this request and try to change my mind. Your monthly fees have just about tripled since I started using MYOB but this isn't reflected in the product. How about being able to copy an inventory item without having to cut/paste or recreate the whole thing? Something that should be simple is extremely tiresome in MYOB. Sorry, but you're falling behind the game. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT AND REPEATEDLY ASK FOR. WE ARE (were???) YOUR CUSTOMERS - SERVICE US. LET US DECIDE ABOUT HOW WE WANT TO HANDLE THE SURCHARGE AND LOOK AFTER OUR OWN CUSTOMER'S WANTS!!! 

SueH
Partner
2 Posts
Partner

This should be available!

I have a client using an old V16 file so that he can use M-powered to take credit card payments and add the fees. Some of the invoices the fees are considerable

cost for the business to absorb. Really old and inefficient way to collect credit card payments.

I think this would substantially increase the number of businesses using the online payments if they could add the credit card fee if the customer was going to pay by card.

Hopefully this will be available very soon!!

A-L
Experienced Cover User
34 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Is there any update on this?? I am seriously considering leaving MYOB

dknipe
1 Post
Cover User

Where are we at with this change?  It has been 6 months since the last update.

CartonConcepts
14 Posts
Cover User

I got tired of waiting and now have a Tyro terminal. This automatically adds the surcharge where I also have the ability to set the rate. Can also set it up to take payments over the phone.

I need to manually enter the payments into MYOB, but I can live with that for the quantity of transactions I process.

Deb10
1 Post
Cover User

Please hurry up with this development and option! Our invoices are quite substantial, and in return the surcharges are ridiculous. We can't simply add the cost to all customers/clients, as some do not wish to pay via the online process. When can we expect this? Getting quite impatient, and looking for other programs and offers now. Smiley Sad

Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff

Hi everyone,

It gives us great pleasure to finish off the year with a confirmation that we’re committed to building out this very popular request of surcharging capabilities for invoice payments.

We’re working through the sequencing and development plan now and we’ll give another update in early 2020.

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Social Support and Community Manager