Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
Rhino
6 Posts
Cover User

Considering or Developing?.... Two different things.

SWIT
3 Posts
User

Considering = almost 0% uptake.

Developing = you got a chance people may want to use it. Smiley Happy

CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Rhino @SWIT

Ideas submitted usually go through the stages of New Idea > Under Consideration > Planned > In Development > Implemented, if it does get implemented. 

PayDirect Online is a new release and our developers have lots of enhancements in the works. While Credit Card surcharge may not be on the immediate roadmap, the popularity of this idea has grasped our developer's attention. 

As much as we want to bring this option to you right away, we do need to analys the demand level, tasks required, resource required, negative impact of the change and more, before committing to this development over other enhancements.

As previously mentioned, we welcome any votes and feedbacks on this idea, it will help our developers to measure the demand, and prioritise their work. We will also update the idea status accordingly when we have more details. 

GetAndy
5 Posts
Cover User

I am a home handyman/small renovator and like many of the other trades i see providing comment, this would cost me hundreds of dollars a year.  Turning off the option on my online invoices until there is an option.

yabb2u
Experienced Cover User
38 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Permalink,

You said "Ideas submitted usually go through the stages of New Idea > Under Consideration > Planned > In Development > Implemented, if it does get implemented."

I think that the responses made so far show that products offered for sale usually go through the stages of  Implemented>evaluated>purchased, if it does not get implemented it does not even get considered. Your survey is all well and good but remember most people who want this service are looking at your product, realising it doesn't do what they want and moving on to the next. So I would suggest you need to multiply the number of responses by a factor of 50 or more to see what the real demand is. 

yabb2u
Experienced Cover User
38 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi mrmdf, Not sure what you're after but you may find ezidebit (http://www.ezidebit.com/) offer a brilliant service.

They enable you to accept payment via any credit card, can handle regular monthly payments. allow you to charge the MSF to either your company or the customer, provide an easy to use interface so you can see what payments are coming up and pay the money into your nominated bank account within a few days.

I don't have a need for them in my current business but in my last business I found their service and offer brilliant. And it's already implemented.

NiTeK
6 Posts
Cover User

I agree with everyone here 

you should have the ability to pass the charge on as a whole to the customer.  Smaller business cannot afford to cover this charge.  The other issue I have is that the charge needs to be calculated on the invoiced amount only. That is if you have an invoice for $1000 you get your $1000 and myob gets only their 2.2% + 25c. Not calculate it on $1022.25 which is how putting it in as a line item does.  

I will not take up online cc payments until the ability is there to select whom pays the fee.

I had The same discussion today with myob tech support and they could not see what the issue was until I had to spell it out in simple terms they could understand.  it is not that hard really

AESS
1 Post
Cover User

Most of our transactions are in the $5,000-$15,000 range so absorbing the 2.2% fee on that is not something we are going to do, and we cannot work them into our pricing as only 5% of customers wish to use credit due to the size of the transactions.

abk
1 Post
Cover User

I agree also. There needs to be a surcharge feature. Hopefully its introduced soon so we can use PayDirect for our customers.

kylieb
7 Posts
Cover User

i agree, i will not use this option until available.