Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Pay Liabilities: Accounting for cents/changing the amount

Experienced Partner

26Posts

5Kudos

1Solutions

26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
New
New

I have only just realised that you are unable to manually change amounts in the 'Pay Liabilites' screen if a client is short paying or not paying the exact amounts required for any other reason.

This seems to be rather frustrating as there would be a lot of people who would not be able to pay whole amounts owed all the time due to cash flow reasons and who would prefer to part pay.

It would be great if you could manually amend an amount to match what is being paid so it can be deducted from the liability amount properly rather than having to go through spend money  which doesn't offset against the liability.

"Ability to change amounts in 'Pay Liabilites' screen"

5 Comments
Growers
Trusted Cover User
61 Posts
Trusted Cover User

This has been a real bug bear for me for many years as I controlled a payroll company with over 300 employees and which generated a lot of employee liabilities to acquit.

One of the first methods I adopted was to :

1. Set a shorter date period - e.g. 1st to 7th Oct 2012 = $5,456.00

rather than opting for the full month e.g. 1st to 31st Oct = $21,369.00

I still ensure that all the appropriate memos are included including the dates and don't forget to insert the ATO as the "supplier"

The other method I have had to adopt was caused when other users simply made a bulk payment without even checking with me as to the amount of the month's liability (the boss). In these cases, I made the "bogus" payment from a newly created bank clearing account and when making the various installments to make up the total, these were coded back to the same clearing account. Over time, the amount/s paid should equal the amount of the month's liability.

I hope this helps

Greg

Flick558
3 Posts
Cover User

Pay Liability calculation for ATO payments should be rounded automatically as ATO does not accept cents

DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,924 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Felicity,

I say to business owners not to pay staff in cents.

We can only record the transactions as they record if entering past events.

I round the PAYG - W to the nearest dollar to enable lodging of a IAS/BAS.

tdrmp
1 Post
Cover User

I like the idea of entering your PAYG tax payment through the Pay Liabilities window, however it does not let you allocate the left over cents to the expense account I have set up for that. As the Tax Office won't accept cents it would be a really great feature to allow us to enter this extra line in this transaction window instead of doing another journal entry. At the moment I use Spend Money and that suits fine, but I like that if you use Pay Liabilites it serves as a double check that the amount balances to your physical books.

naomiacute
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User

We cannot use pay liabilities for child support because of this reason. We pay our child support payments by staff member but MYOB doesn't allow for this to be matched in the bank if we use the pay liabilities function.