Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Jobs: Purge (delete) Jobs no longer in Use

Experienced Partner

13Posts

74Kudos

0Solutions

13 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

We run tens of thousands of jobs in MYOB and refer to the Job Number in our Invoices and Purchases for Cost tracking.

Some Jobs run for less than one day, other jobs run for a number of years.

The Job list became so full that it totally slowed our whole system down a couple of years ago and we had to start a brand new file just to get rid of the long job list. This meant importing and exporting customers, suppliers, employees, accounts etc and this became a significant task.

Can there be a way to purge jobs without having to close them off by looking at how long ago the last transaction was? I would like to see a facility where I can say Purge all jobs that were not used within the last x number of days and I have the flexibility to select what x equals such as 365 days, 900 days or possibly for some companies 60 days. Sure, I understand that if I select the wrong number of days, I may lose a few jobs that I didnt want to loose but if the process asks for say, two confirmations to proceed, then the risk would be all mine.

I really do not want to have to keep creating a brand new file just to get rid of my long job lists every couple of years

Thanks

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: May 2013

33 Comments
Della
Partner
27 Posts
Partner

Hi Mike,

I have now managed to find a way to upload the txt file into excel, and followed your steps, all jobs were skipped in the upload so didn't work.

Is there a missing step maybe?

I've attached some snips of the files.

Skipped.PNGImporting.PNGDeleted Sub Job.PNG

Thanks again

Della

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @Della , did you look at the log file to see the error message? Did you create a job called Delete before importing?

Della
Partner
27 Posts
Partner

Hi Mike,

The error message states duplicate job number which is not correct..  have attached snip to show that all names are different and yes there is the new job deleted.Skipped1.PNG

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @Della , you need to use Delete or Deleted, you have a job called Deleted but the text file uses Delete. 

Also when importing change the relevant option to update the job, not ignore duplicates.

Also remove the job Deleted from the import file by deleting that row before saving the text file. 

I'm going offline here now.  Good luck!

MalKleenduct
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Would be great to see a bulk delete option for Sales too! We accidentally invoiced 30 sales and know i have to dleete one by one!

ElaineTimbs
2 Posts
Cover User

Please bring back the purge data feature , my file is now too large 900MB

Della
Partner
27 Posts
Partner

Hi Mike,

We have finally after a few weekends of uploading the file completed the jobs to go under the DELETED jobcode, but when it came to deleting the DELETED JOB HEADER, which we did have to stop it as from Friday to Monday it still wasn't completed, but the ones that were done only the Income and Costs went to NIL, and the job still remained there.

Why didn't the job itself delete, as the size of the file did not change either?

Daily.PNG

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @Della that's an unexpected result. All I can think is that there are too many jobs to delete in one go. But have you closed or refreshed the list? Also maybe the AccountRight cache needs to be deleted, see https://community.myob.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Clearing-the-AccountRight-Cache/td-p/592973 for instructions.

sweisz
3 Posts
Cover User

I used the deletion feature for many years because I would copy the previous years file and start the new year with all the the old transactions.

HDG
Experienced Cover User
71 Posts
Experienced Cover User

please be able to delete unused accounts