Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Print Mailing Labels: Envelope Template

Super Partner

666Posts

158Kudos

86Solutions

666 Posts
Super Partner

I've noticed that some businesses copy & paste addresses from the shipping address into a Word template for printing mailing addresses on envelopes.  That is OK when the shipping address is the same as the mailing address otherwise users need to open the customer card and retrieve the mailing address from there which is always the case with Professional Invoices.

My idea is for an envelope template to be included in the 'Mailing Labels' for each of the Sales Types.

In the meantime a workaround for some businesses in the Service industry is to use a 'Packing Slip' template to construct an envelope template.  Unfortunately this cannot be cannot be done for 'Time Billing' sales type as packing slip templates are unavailable.

An example "Invoice-Service - Address Envelope" has been attached to this idea which some client users have adopted; it is for a DL sized envelope 22cms * 11cms.  If you use it you would need to set your printer to landscape mode.

"Mailing Labels - Envelope Template"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: September 2012

Thanks Tony & Nicole. I'm now taking this to be printing a single shipping address on an envelope in the printer, then print the invoice afterwards so that it's one action to print both things. I hope I've understood you correctly tony!

9 Comments
Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff
Hi Tony, thanks again for a great suggestion. Can you help me understand it a bit further? see below?
Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff

As I understand it, what you are asking for is the ability for the product to ship with a set of mailing labels for each invoice type that select the shipping address, not the mailing address? Is that right?

TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

I never said anything about "...asking for is the ability for the product to ship with a set of mailing labels for each invoice type that select the shipping address, not the mailing address?..."

I said "...I've noticed that some businesses copy & paste addresses from the shipping address into a Word template for printing mailing addresses on envelopes.  That is OK when the shipping address is the same as the mailing address otherwise users need to open the customer card and retrieve the mailing address from there which is always the case with Professional Invoices..."

Picture this...:-

1. You are creating a number of service invoices to send to clients
  2. After selecting a client for the new invoice you copy the shipping address (which is in reality also the mailing address)
  3. You paste the copied mailing address into a MS Word DL Envelope layout
  4. You complete entering the new invoice for that client, print it out then print the addressed envelope
  5. The same printer is used to print both envelope (from the sheet feeder) and invoice from the paper cassette
  6. Return to step 2 if you have another invoice to enter.

I thought anyone with a reasonable degree of cognitive skills would have worked that out in my 'New Idea' posting that it was for the ability to place a single mailing address on one envelope.  I did attach an customised forms template example in that 'New Idea' post for all to check out.  Perhaps I'm on a different planet.

The purpose is to print the mailing address on an envelope, the envelope will then hold the quote, order or invoice that is also being printed in the same print run; as selected for printing from the 'Review' before printing screen.

The existing mailing labels customised options are as follows:-

1. 2 up Mailing Labels
  2. 2upmail-2009   Mail Labels - 2 x 7 per page
  3. 2upmail-2009   Ship Labels - 2 x 4 per page
  4. 3 up Mailing Labels

It is a 5th option that I propose:-

5.   Single Mailing Address on one Envelope

Nicole_Brand
233 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the additional information.  Having a scenario really helps us to understand where the gap is.

So we can ensure that we are addressing the business need, to paraphrase, we are looking at the ability to have an envelope printed with the appropriate Card address ( as per each client's needs).

Is that correct?

On a similar note, do you find it time consumming the process of matching the sale to the envelope? Do you normally send multiple invoices within one envelope?  Or is it a one to one relationship?  

What else is also posted?  Is this a process you would also follow when sending customer statements?

Thanks

Nicole

TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi Nicolle,

In answer to your questions; I do not wish to repeat and I fail to see why you said

"...

Thank you for the additional information.  Having a scenario really helps us to understand where the gap is.

So we can ensure that we are addressing the business need, to paraphrase, we are looking at the ability to have an envelope printed with the appropriate Card address ( as per each client's needs).

..."

In my opinion the scenario I gave is quite clear and all your questions have been answered in it; as per your "...Thank you for the additional information.  Having a scenario really helps us to understand where the gap is...."

I have nothing more to add to what I've already said.

Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff
Thanks Tony & Nicole. I'm now taking this to be printing a single shipping address on an envelope in the printer, then print the invoice afterwards so that it's one action to print both things. I hope I've understood you correctly tony!
TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi Mark,

Yes, that is correct; thank you.

Attached is a view of the expected 'Review Sales Before Delivery' screen overlaid with the 'Advanced Filters' indicating the selected form for the 'Labels (Item)'.

The only drawback in all this is that MYOB presently provides only one target for the print run; there is no choice to print Invoices from say the printer cassette & Envelopes from say the sheet feeder.  Also, the printing order obviously needs to be identical for both; I understand printing order of invoices etc has been the subject of another idea.

It would be beneficial for the user to be prompted to select the target for each component; Invoices and envelopes and this could be achieved thru the 'Advanced Filters' screen.  I have one printer for A4 and envelopes but I've set up two queues to handle both as indicated in the graphic below; one for the sheet feeder (Canon MP800 Series Printer) & the other for the cassette (AR2011).

MP800 - Two Printers in One.jpg

Kind Regards
Tony Lane - Tazinx - Ulverstone - Tasmania
Running AR2012 with "Win 7 Home Premium on Intel Core i5CPU @ 2.80GHz 3.00 GHz 32-bit, 4GB (3.23 GB usable RAM) desktop PC and 400GB Free space"

This is general information only and you should consider if this is appropriate for you.

Review Sales Before Delivery - Mailing Labels - DL Envelope.jpg

frustrated2
1 Post
User

It would save so much time if you could print envelopes from your debtors list for customers with outstanding balances.  And mustn't be difficult to use, be able to have you company name on top left and customers address on the front of envelope.  Be able to choose you envelope size.

TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi Tracey,

On the 18/8/2012 an idea similar to yours was posted.  Please refer to this link Mailing Labels - Envelope Template

It would be great if you voted for it as the idea encompasses what you have just suggested; it is presently Under Consideration Smiley Happy