Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Purchases: Purchase No. - extended character limit (8)

Cover User

1Posts

55Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

Why is the purchase order number field only 8 digits, yet the invoice number is longer?  It is annoying when entering purchase orders that are longer as they get cut off after 8 digits.  Can this be fixed to enable longer purchase orders to be entered?

"entering purchase order numbers"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: February 2023

Hi Everyone

With the release of AccountRight 2020.2, users can enter up to 13 characters in the Purchase No. field for a Purchase.

29 Comments
Coltrain
1 Post
User

We use a maintenance programme which automatically generates a works order number which is 18 characters long.  It would be great if we could have that length field so that we dont have to chage our works order numbers when we put into MYOB

BETTY
2 Posts
Cover User

Where you enter the Purchase No. when entering a Bill, you can only enter up to 8 digits, is it possible to extend it to 12 digits at least . I usuallly have to leave off some of the numbers. I have requested this a few times over the years surely there must be some way to do it. When you enter the Purchase Invoice number there is no problem.

DeniseC
2 Posts
Cover User

Would like to increase the field length on purchase order number field to minumum 10 characters to accommodate our project coststing reports

RoniArnold
Experienced Cover User
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hello MYOB,

Can you please put an indicator in the PO purchase to stop at 8 Characters instead if letting us type the who PO and then letting us know we have gone past the specified characters, it is very annoying having to count the characters.

Lisa_S
Trusted Cover User
69 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Hi

I often have credits to allocate to sales, due to goods returned or goods not received. 

If I have a credit note to input, for say, invoice no. 123456789, theoretically I would like to enter the credit as follows:-

• Go to sales
  • In purchase no: put  CR123456789 (this way, when I allocated the credit, I can find the invoice it relates to easier)
  • In Supplier Inv. no. I would be put actual credit note I received:  eg C4486125874

As the "purchase no.:' part only allows, 8 or less characters I can't always do this and have to come up with an "8 character or less" way of doing this.

Is it possible to increase the no. of characters that can go in the Purchase No.: section?

Same with Invoice Nos. in Sales - can that be extended too, as I need to customise inv. nos for different biling using letters and numbers, and it would make it much easier to have more than 8 characters to work with.

Thanks
Lisa_S

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Lisa_S

Thank you for your idea in regards to AccountRight and Purchase Order numbers.

I have merged your  idea with this one already included on the AccountRight Idea Exchange. This also has a fantastic suggestion/workaround by @TonyLane

Lisa_S
Trusted Cover User
69 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Hi Steven_M

If I have understood this correctly! @TonyLane refers to the Supplier Invoice No. which takes up to 20 characters.  That's fine, but when I input purchases, I can't substitute one for the other, I use both the Purchase No. AND  the Supplier Inv No. on that same purchase entry and it would be very beneficial to extend the length of the Purchase No. field to 20 or more or unlimited.

The same goes for entering sales.  The Invoice no: is 8 characters or less and the Customer PO No.:  is 20 characters.  Again, I use both the Inv. no.: AND the Customer PO No. per each sale that I enter.

Will leave it with the Idea Exchange and hopefully the fields will be expanded.

Regards

Lisa_S

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Lisa_S

Thank you for the additional comments. I have shared them with the team.

My understanding is that purchase order number is your numbering for that purchase i.e. internally where as the supplier invoice number would be the one generated from the supplier on the purchase i.e. externally. However different clients run their accounts systems differently and have different systems to track information would impact on that setup.

Sarah40
6 Posts
Cover User

It would be helpful to have a longer character field for purchase number, the maximum of 8 is not sufficient.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Sarah40

Thank you for your idea in regards to AccountRight

I have merged your idea with this one already included on the AccountRight Idea Exchange.