Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Report: General Ledger [Detail] - Tax column

Cover User

1Posts

65Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User

I wouldn't think this was a particularly difficult thing to 'add' in to MYOB general ledger detail reports (or in the GST/Tax area etc) but we definitely DO need to be able to simply customise our MYOB general ledger details report so as to 'add' a column on that report to show the GST claimed/paid in respect of ANY transaction.

This makes it very quick and easy to pick a particular account, have the appropriate column filters ON (including the tax amount column) to drill down and not only see account totals but to determine which PARTICULAR/INDIVIDUAL accounts have had GST treated correctly.

Exception reports are fine...but when explaining to a client, it is far easier to simply bring up an account and show them which accounts are not doing what we need/expect them to do.

By having a 'tax column' account, it will also benefit the accountant by totalling up the GST applicable to those transactions without meticulously wasting time clicking into transactions one at a time then manually adding up as a basis for a journal adjustment.

Quickbooks has this simple tax amount column available to ALL ledger transaction detail reports and I think it is long overdue in MYOB reporting. Very simple for accountants and clients to make use of...please add in ASAP!

I have attached a QB report which is just a basic drill down into the general ledger of 'bank fees' --> I simply select tax column and it shows me which transactions did or did not have GST claimed on them WITHOUT having to view all transactions for a month/quarter/year for ALL accounts.

An exception report is great for bookkeepers or those at a data entry level...the column I refer to is a simple addition which helps accountants check particular accounts at a quick glance and gives us the information in a split second including the totals which form the basis for any adjustment required.

I also discussed this with a MYOB training representative some time ago in Brisbane who advised that this functionality was not and was never part of the MYOB reporting system. A MYOB representative advised us late yesterday to submit this here in the hope that it would be considered and adopted in newer versions...please do!

"Tax Amount Column"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: March 2023

Hi Everyone

The General ledger report in the AccountRight browser interface will contain a tax column. This will showcase the total tax amount for that transaction. 

49 Comments
Jordan1
Contributing Cover User
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Yes I agree that it would be a much needed addition.

You don't want to have to pull half a dozen reports to get all the different reports you need, especially when it can all be done in one report.

Plus, keeping a hard or PDF copy of your final ledger, including GST would make it much simplier.

I don't understand how this has not been addressed earlier?

KRS
Partner
7 Posts
Partner

How can we run a General Ledger report which includes a field for the GST code.

MYOB used to do this many years ago but stopped for some reason. We are able to do this on MYOB essentials/live (the online version) but not on the desktop version.

This is a huge annoyance.

ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner

If all you are chasing is the code used then the Transactions Tax Code report covers all activity on the GL for a given period.

Ron

KRS
Partner
7 Posts
Partner

This report does not include transactions that have no gst.

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello Kevin,

The default Tax Code for the account can be displayed on the report

when the GL Summary Report is displayed click on the Insert Modify at the top of the screen, then select the Tax Code from the left hand list and Show. Voila!.

Capture.JPG

I hope that helps.

Cheers

David

KRS
Partner
7 Posts
Partner

Thanks David, that sounds amazing and thanks for the effort to create screenshots, well done.

This is great for a summary GL but I need to do this for a detailed GL as there are thousands of transactions and need to find the needle in the haystack where a handful of transactions do not have a tax codes.

In all other software programs I can run the detailed GL with tax codes, export to excel, run a conditional filter/format and/or nested if formula and within a few seconds I can find all the issues.

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Kevin,

MYOB should not allow you to record a transaction without a tax code - BUT IT DOES!!!!!!

*************** NOT FOR MYOB PROGRAMMERS - PLEASE FIX THIS **********************

However there is a report to tell you what you need.

Go to the GST reports and use the 2 Tax Code Exception Reports.

i suggest that you export to excell to sort & make them easier to find.

see the screen shot below.

Capture.JPG

I think that will answer your query.

Also if you run the Accounts / General Journal for all types of transactions, modify to include User ID and Session date you can see who did what and when.

Cheers

David

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @David_Cree 

Thanks for bring that to our attention.  I have shared your information with the team.

AccountRight version 19 also did allow it and to generate a transaction with a tax code. Like AccountRight v 2014.4 you do need to manually remove the tax code and click off the field or back tab (Shift + Tab) out of the relevant field.

Davidv
Trusted Partner
58 Posts
Trusted Partner
Could we please have the option of printing the general ledger with the tax code and tax amount - the report showing tax amount is available in essentials but not 2014.4
Davidv
Trusted Partner
58 Posts
Trusted Partner

The report is available in Essentials that prints the tax amount on the general ledger - replicating this report in 2014.4 would make life one hell of a lot easier - yes you can use the reports listed by David above but being able to look at ledgers eg rates and see at a glance if the tax has been claimed or not would be great time saver!  It took me less than 3 minutes to scan 109 pages of ledgers from quick books today using this type of report