Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Reports: Ability to set default header and footer settings

Cover User

3Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
New
New

I would like to see the ability to modify the Header part and the Footer part that are applied to the default reports within a future release of the MYOB AccountRight software.

A MYOB Moderator has confirmed in a MYOB Community Forum topic thread that the default report formats and headings are hardcoded and embedded within the AccountRight program itself. Because of this it is apparently not possible to adjust the default layout of the reports themselves. This behaviour in the software should be changed.

I understand that a workaround would be to create customised reports for the reports that you use. This is a uneccessary frustration. The Body part content of most of the default reports is satisfactory for purpose. However my experience is that it is not unusual for the Header part to require modification. Common problems I have observed with the Header part in reports is that the Company Name field requires its length increased. The Address field also often needs a size increase to either increase length or depth to properly accommodate multiple lines of text, so that the address can be clearly seen (instead of cut-off/cropped). It is not unusual for an organisation to want to have the font variant, font size and maybe font colour changed, so that it better fits with their corporate style and 'brand'. The default format for a default report Header part is to always show the Email Address field. An organisation may prefer not to include this type of detail by default.

If it remains that the only option that is provided by the MYOB software is to save any changes you have made to a report's appearance is to create a new custom report, then a common modification that always needs to be made to the Header part means creating a custom report for every default report that you may want to use. That is a dreadful waste of time and effort just to get the Header section layout correct.

I would suggest that the AccountRight Setup provides a "Customise Reports" option that allows the software user to at least define the layout, included fields and style of the Header part and the Footer part. These defined parts would then be used as the 'default' building blocks for creating all the default reports. This means that the Header part could be changed in one place and having that propagate through to all the default reports – saving effort, saving time.

Another possibility would be to have some type of fundamental report 'template' where the Header part and Footer part layout for most of the default reports is sourced and stored in the file system somewhere. This template could be (should be), a text file or files utilising some type of markup language or XML with defined 'placeholder' variables for the common fieldnames.

I would really appreciate your vote for this idea.

"Customised Header and Footer parts for use in default Reports"

1 Comment
mcv
Experienced Cover User
45 Posts
Experienced Cover User

there are so many little functions like this - not a very hard job for a programer to fix, hell i could do it if they gave me it open source...

the developeers really let this software down,  we pay good money yet nothing is spent on development...  just profits for the owners....

no wonder more and more people use xero...