Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales/Purchases: Ability to set default tax inclusive check box preference

1Posts

20Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

When you create a new quotation or invoice, the Tax Inclusive checkbox is 'remembered' from the previous transaction.  I would like configuration so that all new invoices/quotations have the checkbox ticked or unticked according to the configuration setting.  This means that each business could control the setting according to their business requirements.

In our personal business situation, industry standard for our commercial work is typically GST exclusive whereas our domestic stream of work is typically GST inclusive.  We have had a couple of occasions now where the GST checkbox was 'remembered' from the last quotation (that was GST inclusive) and as a consequence a quotation that should have had 10% added for GST was not added because it was not noticed that the checkbox was on.  This of course can be the difference between making a profit or a loss.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: February 2014

Thanks for the great idea ARrefrigeration, How about if we added a tick box on a supplier or customer card to make a transaction default to tax inclusive or exclusive? This way it will default based on the card. Do you think this would help? We would love to hear what others think about this.

21 Comments
DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,924 Posts
Ultimate Partner

@ARRefrigeration @Trav9999 @cmc @KattC @Lee82 @Lee82 

When GST started in 2000, the ATO allowed two formats of a Tax Invoice ie

$100 plus $10 GST = $110   or

$110 GST inclusive.

The larger companies tend to use the first format and the smaller companies the second format.

As AR mentioned, in the refrigeration industry, quotes use both methods.

The GST inclusive button has created admin issues for many years even for Accountants.

MYOB is listening and lets hope there is a solution very soon.

Duncan

Julls
1 Post
Cover User

Hi, upon setting up account names under purchases I could initially state whether gst inclusive or exclusive.  Hower upon checking over accounts I cannot see gst stated anywhere under account names.  This differs sometimes from exclusive to inclusive, please advise?  If I go to account classification and click on profile no gst is stated?

Trav9999
Experienced Partner
80 Posts
Experienced Partner

This is still a massive issue for many users who work with both GST Inclusive and GST Exclusive figures.

If we tick the box and raise an invoice GST-Inclusive, the next invoice is also raised with the same tick box already checked.

We might not raise the next invoice until later in the day, and its easy to forget to check the tick box status, and set it back to what it needs to be.

There should be a Global MYOB Preferences setting:

Sales -> Default Tax Status

- GST Inclusive

- GST Exclusive

- No Default (use previous invoice setting)

Same for Purchases.

2014.... we're 4 years on. Hoping this post isnt still active in 2022 Smiley Sad

boundtoimpress
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

For many, many years now the Tax Inclusive checkbox has been causing issues with data entry. In particular it is imposssible to count the number of times someone has put a freight cost entry in without checking this flag, often entering charges that we know as an exclusive rate (say $10 ex) but the customer is then only charged $9.05 as this simple error is made.

I see two solutions for this that would work well in our situtation.

1) Have an overriding default option to have this either on or off for every new invoice (simplest).

In our situation we would always have this off, but for Retail businesses maybe it would be On.

2) In conjunction with 1, allow a Customer override to default on or off.

This would allow us to simply differentiate our Retail customers from our Trade / Business customers and in the process save us from this odd behaviour of defaulting based on the last invoice entered.

It's a simple 'Quality of Life' type improvement that would be greatly appreciated.

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

And, while you are doing this could you PLEASE fix the Spend Money window that always defaults to Tax Exclusive.

Why?  We are in spend money and the default should always be Tax Inclusive.

Thanks,

AlanT

Hypo
4 Posts
User

has this been solved?

is there a way to default the tax exclusive button.

i just realised i have proccessed a dozen invoices as tax inclusive instead of exclusive. 10% down the drain!!!

Trav9999
Experienced Partner
80 Posts
Experienced Partner

What is the point of asking for Ideas, which are supported by paying customers who want these changes, if they are not implemented? Smiley Sad

ballens
20 Posts
User

ABSOLUTELY. .. .Please based on the "Card" ...  as each supplier is different !! This would be so helpful.
(The System could also be set up as a default setting.. but once we know each suppliers' format, then they could have their own defaul setting. )

ballens
20 Posts
User

Has this actioned yet??  The year is 2023. 

Andrearooney
5 Posts
User

Ok it is now 2023!!!!

Did anyone look at this issue from MYOB? Because nothing has changed. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever come across. I check, and check if the box is ticked or not. I am paranoid because the dilemma this is causing if you send people inclusive tax invoices when they are not and vis versa, it gets very confusing. Most refuse to pay the extra 10% even if you change the invoice within 2 min. 

The other issue I have, I have three companies on my profile. I write invoices for 2 of them, one uses inclusive the other one does not. If I write inclusive invoices in one company file it changes it i the other file. I want to cry. Why does it tick the tax inclusive box in a completely different company?? 

Somebody please address this issue!!!