Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales/Purchases: Description character limit

Cover User

1Posts

175Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

Hello

Please please please increase the character limit in the tax invoice description to at least 500, or no limit at all.  I have seen a number of requests on the forum for this over the years and am not sure why it has not been changed.

Many of our job descriptions or quote descriptions go over the word limit and I have to break up a paragraph somehow mid-way through, which does not look very professional.

We do not have a $ amount for each line entered, we enter a number of aspects of a job in one line, which all total one amount, and this frequently exhasuts the word limit.

I know I can add a blank line underneath with a $0 figure, but the limit frequently runs out mid-way through a sentence and it is very frustrating having to cut the half of the sentence that I got mid-way through, insert a blank line and paste the sentence in there and then keep going until the limit runs out again - it seems so pointless. 

Thank you

Ruth

"Description character limit"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: October 2020

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea

With the release of AccountRight 2020.2, the character limit for sale and purchase line descriptions has been increased to 1,000 characters. So no more blank lines to add in a comment, just add it directly to the description.

Check out AccountRight 2020.2 now available for more information on this update.

58 Comments
SRK
Trusted Cover User
99 Posts
Trusted Cover User

This is an issue for us as well, it could definitely help to have larger fields.

Caseysol
Partner
1 Post
Partner

This needs to be done urgently as I already know of a few companies that have gone to other software because of this problem.  As a user of MYOB for the last 25 years I am amazed that MYOB still has not rectified this issue.  C'mon MYOB 255 character Limit is ridiculous.  Not all companies are the same!

Jacque-B
2 Posts
Cover User

Hi,

I have the same problem with invoicing and its a constant frustration with my Boss as it seems like such a basic option to have. I hope that it could atleast give you the option in preferences for invoices to have unlitimted character limit if that is what you desire.

Jacque-B

Oscar_W
Experienced Cover User
29 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Couldn't agree more - extremely tedious. Why has this not been implemented? People have been asking for this for years... Disappointed

SRK
Trusted Cover User
99 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Just checking in as to progress on this idea, it would certainly be helpful!

jerrychef
1 Post
Cover User

Still no response from MYOB. Had to make a call today for the same reason.

Was told "PLEASE" use second description line. Thank you "we hope we have helped you" Smiley Happy

Mikev
Experienced Cover User
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi

The description field in the time billing module is limited to 256 characters. This is a continual source of time wasting for us as we OFTEN need to include way more that 256 charachers in this field. 

The current process is to add the full text description from our time keeping software. which may include several or many lines. Then attempt to save the invoice, then get triped up on the number of characters, then for each descriptrion, cut some txt and add a line below. then try to save, then find description is still to big then repete, then repete. Then go to next description and repeate. Thuis is very tedious, time consumming and most of all frustrating.

Is it possible to either.

1) Expand the field to inculde more characters

or

2) auto disect the flied so if it contained more than 256 characters it would auto chop the txt at 265 characters and put the remained on a new line, for each block in excess of 256. I.E. if the txt was 750 characters Accountright would make 3 lines to fit the text in.

Mike

jeff2014
1 Post
User

I am considering to change to another account software, it is very trouble for the description character limit.

kno
Experienced User
22 Posts
Experienced User

I have a number of programes that requirre a product desription Currently have to hold this on a spead sheet as MYOB only allows 255 characters Ideally I would like double that to make Accounting right the main programe syn into others

KMM010
2 Posts
Cover User

My husband and I have been frustrated by this problem for over 10 years!! I have just upgraded to the latest version from version 19 and can't believe it's still an issue. I also don't like how it moves the writing up once you get to the end of a line because sometimes you need to re-read what you've written so far and you either have to click on decription or arrow up. Unlimited characters and keep the writing visible, doesn't seem that hard.