Partner Zone

Share your ideas for improving the new AccountRight. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales/Purchases: Description character limit

Cover User

1Posts

175Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

Hello

Please please please increase the character limit in the tax invoice description to at least 500, or no limit at all.  I have seen a number of requests on the forum for this over the years and am not sure why it has not been changed.

Many of our job descriptions or quote descriptions go over the word limit and I have to break up a paragraph somehow mid-way through, which does not look very professional.

We do not have a $ amount for each line entered, we enter a number of aspects of a job in one line, which all total one amount, and this frequently exhasuts the word limit.

I know I can add a blank line underneath with a $0 figure, but the limit frequently runs out mid-way through a sentence and it is very frustrating having to cut the half of the sentence that I got mid-way through, insert a blank line and paste the sentence in there and then keep going until the limit runs out again - it seems so pointless. 

Thank you

Ruth

"Description character limit"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: October 2020

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea

With the release of AccountRight 2020.2, the character limit for sale and purchase line descriptions has been increased to 1,000 characters. So no more blank lines to add in a comment, just add it directly to the description.

Check out AccountRight 2020.2 now available for more information on this update.

58 Comments
builtwater
3 Posts
Cover User

This also stands with the quoting function, you sell a job to the client through the description the same way you justify the invoice to the client.

having lines with $0.00 dollar figures and having to cut a complete sentence out and drop it to another line is unprofessional and does not look good to the client, the quotes and invoices need to flow and make sense. we are a consultancy company and do not break down our invoices or quotes into each individual section and price / quote predominatley in whole job numbers.

The character limit needs to be removed all together so that we can sell our services to the clients.

SRK
Trusted Cover User
99 Posts
Trusted Cover User

I find this frustrating every single month as we also have long descriptions.  None of the work arounds are ideal.

MattGutterClean
Partner
4 Posts
Partner

Good morning.  We are in a similar position to many of the comments already made.  The limit of 255 characters is causing major problems for our Quoting etc.  Unfortunately if it doesn't look like this limit will be increased or eliminated in the very near future we have no other choice but to change out Accounting software to another provider.  We will be doing this in the next few weeks it seems unless you can provide any further information that or a date when this may be changed.

MTa
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I would like to add my support for an increase in the description character limit. It is such a time waster for me every 2 weeks when I do my billings. I notice this has been asked for over 3 years and over 100s of people have liked the request. Please listen to your customers. I've been using MYOB for 14 years so am sticking with you still but if there is an option for me to migrate easily and cheaply to another platform and they allow more than character limit or unlimited character limit, I would do that.

lindso
Trusted Cover User
117 Posts
Trusted Cover User

This is still an issue nearly 3 years later. Honestly, what do we have to do to get an idea implemented? Please increase the character limit so that we do not have to keep inserting blank lines and then hoping that the mess that we have created looks professional on the invoice that spits out of the printer.

lindso
Trusted Cover User
117 Posts
Trusted Cover User

@Liam_M you commented on this post in November 2014 and @Steven_M also responded in July 2015. When can we expect something/anything regarding this outstanding request?

CommsPower
Experienced Cover User
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I totally second this request. 

It does become very frustrating and time consuming when you have to keep inserting Headers to accomodate your data for each invoice.

Unbreakable
1 Post
Cover User

Yes, please increase character limit.  Clients require detailed descriptions of work carried out.

heytherepeeps
1 Post
Cover User

We've recently been moved over to MYOB to help our bookkeepers as this is their preferred system of use however, the first quote I try to write, I find there is a 255 character limit on each item description. The suggested solution is a patchwork bandaid solution which I find absolutly infuriating. I was under the understanding that MYOB were the leaders in accounting software and I see there has been multiple people over more than 12months bringing this to your attention. We have invested in MYOB by training staff and reseting up company systems but unfortunately it looks like we will be changing to another accounting program if this issue isn't resolved asap.

TALEA
5 Posts
Cover User

Yes please!! Please increase the character limit, or have no limit at all as we also have quite lengthy descriptions.