Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales: Select items with barcode scanning

Contributing Cover User

13Posts

16Kudos

0Solutions

13 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

I would love the ability to scan an item on the sales screen. It would be a huge improvement if the was a field that enabled you to scan a products barcode. There just needs to be an additonal field added to the line, so you had the option to either 'scan the barcode' in one field, or 'type in the item number' in the item number field.

The barcode number would need to be entered in the item detail (suggest directly under the item number) as an optional field for those who wish to use the barcode functionality.

We have found that MYOB live caters for all our needs (other than barcode scanning), and the purchase of add-on software seems like an overkill.

This idea could be further implemented into the purchasing screens, etc, but at this stage it would be most benificial in the sales screen.

Thankyou for your consideration.

"Barcode scanning functionality"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: December 2013

Thanks for the idea JessK. AccountRight will work with barcode scanners though it sounds like you are needing a separate searchable field just for barcodes. If other users would like to see this functionality, please show your support and add a vote.

8 Comments
Barry_C
MYOB Staff
2,948 Posts
MYOB Staff
Thanks for the idea JessK. AccountRight will work with barcode scanners though it sounds like you are needing a separate searchable field just for barcodes. If other users would like to see this functionality, please show your support and add a vote.
lilycan
2 Posts
User

here i'd like to share with you a barcode scanner add-on, it enalbes you read and scan all kinds of barcodes. besides it helps you returen image as well. hopeit helps you.

Shandi
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Im not sure if this helps at all but I had a similar problem & have found away around the issue.  

Using one of the custom fields in the stock screen I named it 'item number' via the menu setup, options, custom, stock custom field 1.  By doing this I am able to put the items number in & search in the sales screen by clicking on the arrow next to code (where you scan in your item) then change the search using item number (stock custom 1 field), type in the item number & your item comes up.

I agree with you that having a barcode & item number for stock items in RetailManager would be a great function to have rather than using the search feature all the time. If people don't wish to use the function there could be a skip function available as well.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Shandi 

Thanks for the feedback in regards to the AccountRight program.

I do hope other members of the MYOB Community find your post beneficial and of great value in regards to barcode scanning.

I would also recommend if you would like to show your support for an idea on the AccountRight Ideas Exchange that you vote for the relevant idea by selecting the vote button next to the idea's name.

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello Mandy,

I have tried your suggestion in Account Right  but I am unable to change the search to the Custom Field.

You mention Retail Manager. Are you then suggesting this for RM and not AR?

I have clients who would like to be able to use a barcode scanner in AR. It can be done at present, but the Item Number must be the barcode. it is impractical to have a 13 digit item number and for the user to remember it. Many clients have their own Item Number but also want to be able to scan a barcode.

This could be achieved by enabling a selection to scan to the Item Number OR to one of the custom fields where the barcode is stored. This method is used by some add-ons such as Mobileezy.

Cheers

David

Shandi
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi @David_Cree 

I was just suggesting this for RM as this is what I am using.  However if it would be beneficial for AR, by all means then for both.  

Any thoughts can contribute to making each program that much better.

Thanks

Shandi

Trish_Lee
5 Posts
User

HI,

I have come across several customers that have MYOB Accounting product for many years.

These customers have entered codes into the Item Nb field that they have created way before the advent of barcodes. They now want to use barcodes for these items but still retain the original Item Nb codes.

Many of them are using the Custom Field 1, or the Supplier Item Nb field to put the barcode into. However in doing this, they cannot use a barcode scanner to scan the barcode into the Sales Entry Screen as the only field that they can scan into to do a lookup is the Item Nb field. I cannot understand why columns cannot be swapped or added in with other fields. For example swap the Item Nb field with the Supplier Item Nb or remove the Location Column and add in the Supplier Item Nb or the Custom Field.

It has always been a major issue that in a world where barcodes are the normal process of selling and receiving items that AccountRight does NOT have a dedicated Barcode field.

Thanks

Trish

Adventure2008
2 Posts
User

This would be a huge improvement, and if the barcode was able to be printed on item information it would be amazing!