Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Search: Ability to search for partial item description

3Posts

24Kudos

0Solutions

3 Posts
User

We are a small business with a large volume of SKUs, and approximately 30,000 line items. We can't remember all the product descriptions so the ability to search within a description string is quite essential. Xero and Sassu both search the entire description whereas MYOB requires you to enter the exact description. This is a real pain to generate item based invoices.

For example:

Product Description: Dark Blue Shirt

For MYOB you must search: "Dark" to bring this item up as an option, whereas you should be able to search for "blue".

MYOB retailmanager allows asterisk and question mark wildcard operators (ie *blue*) to search for a string within a string. At the very least Accountright should be able to offer this search functionality. I can't image it would be difficult.

The same search functionality would be useful for Customer, supplier and pretty much any other searchable field.

We will not be able to migrate invoicing to MYOB until this feature is enable or a suitable work-around (ie wildcards) is provided.

"Improved search functionality for searching within item description"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: December 2016

Hi Everyone

Thank you for voting for this idea

I'm pleased to announce with the release of AccountRight 2016.3 comes a new way to search and select items for your Sales, Purchases and Inventory Windows. This allows for the user to search for item number and name, even bring a list up of all items that contain a series of characters in the name/number i.e.

Attachments.PNG

You can find more information into this feature and how to obtain the update on AccountRight 2016.3 now available

42 Comments
AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Hi Michael,

Interestingly enough, this type of searching has already been implemented in MYOB's Essentials product...

Alan

KattC
790 Posts
Former Staff

Hello @DazzGC 

Thank you for your request for wildcards in the search function, I believe that a lot of clients will benefit from this future. If there is anyone else out there that would like this please vote and leave your comments. 

mit78c
4 Posts
Cover User

Spot on this would be very helpful i also posted a similar request but couldn't exactly work out was i was trying to request eg "wildcard search function", because the wildcard search works in the bank register area of the the current MYOB account right 2015.1.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @DazzGC 

Are you referring to the name of the item or the actual description field (i.e. click into the item and select the Item Description)?

Also what version of the program are you on? Help>>About would confirm that information.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @mit78c 

Thank you for voting and your feedback, I've shared your thoughts with the team.

DazzGC
3 Posts
User

I am referring to both when entering an item based invoice/sale. In the item code, you can start typing th description but it only works if you start typing the EXACT description.

I am running Accountright Plus 2015 online version. 2015.1.17.580

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @DazzGC 

While it doesn't work for the entering of invoices, if you are want to search for an item in the Item Register but only know a part of the item's number or name. you can use the Advance search feature. if you go to Inventory>>Items Lists>>Highlight one of the items in the table and select CTRL + SHIFT + F. This will bring up the advance search option, if you type in a series of characters it will search that window for that set of characters.

For example I created an item called "Dark Blue Shirt", If I use the Advance search I can type in blue and it will find that item.
Attachments - Copy.PNG

DazzGC
3 Posts
User

We are aware of the advanced serarch function, but we were are creating 100+ entries per day (between invoices, goods received, purchase orders, quotes), having to use the advanced find fuction is not practical. For us , it is a usability issue, and we cannot adopt Accountright unless we can invoice at the same speed (or faster) than our existing system.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @DazzGC

That is perfectly fine. Most clients don't know that the advance search is available. So I felt it was worth mentioning. As stated it doesn't work with the selecting the of items on sales and purchases, however it does work with the Items Register, Sales/Purchase Register and also the Card file.

I would encourage other users that would like to see this idea included to vote and comment if required.

magerpain
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User

Is this function avaliable in retail manager v12. also is that version up to date?