Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Search: Ability to search for partial item description

3Posts

24Kudos

0Solutions

3 Posts
User

We are a small business with a large volume of SKUs, and approximately 30,000 line items. We can't remember all the product descriptions so the ability to search within a description string is quite essential. Xero and Sassu both search the entire description whereas MYOB requires you to enter the exact description. This is a real pain to generate item based invoices.

For example:

Product Description: Dark Blue Shirt

For MYOB you must search: "Dark" to bring this item up as an option, whereas you should be able to search for "blue".

MYOB retailmanager allows asterisk and question mark wildcard operators (ie *blue*) to search for a string within a string. At the very least Accountright should be able to offer this search functionality. I can't image it would be difficult.

The same search functionality would be useful for Customer, supplier and pretty much any other searchable field.

We will not be able to migrate invoicing to MYOB until this feature is enable or a suitable work-around (ie wildcards) is provided.

"Improved search functionality for searching within item description"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: December 2016

Hi Everyone

Thank you for voting for this idea

I'm pleased to announce with the release of AccountRight 2016.3 comes a new way to search and select items for your Sales, Purchases and Inventory Windows. This allows for the user to search for item number and name, even bring a list up of all items that contain a series of characters in the name/number i.e.

Attachments.PNG

You can find more information into this feature and how to obtain the update on AccountRight 2016.3 now available

42 Comments
SimonM1981
Experienced Cover User
51 Posts
Experienced Cover User

WOW...common sense prevails.  Thanks so much for this.  Now looking forward to upgrading from my 2014 version.  When will it be released?

Simon

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @SimonM1981

Great to hear that you are excited about the upgrade and the searching of items, we are excited to have the functionality in AccountRight.

The AccountRight 2016.3 update will be available to AccountRight Subscribers in the coming few days, you will get a prompt to upgrade when you open you company file.  You can also download and install the update at any stage from your my.MYOB account  (Australia / New Zealand) by selecting My Products>>Downloads after logging in.

Please note that you do need to have a valid AccountRight Subscription in order to access the AccountRight 2016.3 update.

SimonM1981
Experienced Cover User
51 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi MYOB

After hearing of this update I have upgraded, but it STILL DOESN"T DO WHAT I ASKED.  I clarified this option with staff on the phone and they assured me that is does what I wanted to.  You need the option of search when doing an item invoice as you type the desription. It STILL ONLY picks up the first word and it a poor way to find a product.  Last time I upgraded (last year) I ended up being reimbursed as I was misled.  It's happened again, but this time I won't be able to go back to the old file as I'd entered a lot of stuff in expenses/payments recieved over the holidays and didn't check before I had entered it all....should have I no but need to get some stuff done.  Really the new version doesn't offer me any benifits to the 2014 version I was using.  Will there be a update to allow this soon? 

Thanks

Simon

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @SimonM1981

If you want to search for an item's description whose value is not the first word, for example "Blue" in "Dark Blue shirt" add an asterick to the start of the word i.e. *Blue

Attachments.PNG        Keep(1).PNG

SimonM1981
Experienced Cover User
51 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Steven

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried this option and it still doesn't work for me.   Is there something I can do to make it work?

Thanks

Simon

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @SimonM1981

In theory the asterisk method does work, as indicated by the screenshots. If you are finding that it is not working for yourself so we can investigate further can you provide a screenshot of:

• the Help>>About AccountRight window showing the version number you are using
  • the Item Information window (Inventory>>Items Lists>>Select the Item) for the item you are trying to find
  • a copy of what you are using to search for the item
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @SimonM1981, @Steven_M, I have discovered that the asterisk search (Edit: for items on transaction lines in the sales window) does not work when Preferences are set to search by item name, not item number. If you untick that preference (which you should no longer need given the new search options), then your searches should work. (Go to Set-up, Preferences, Windows tab).

Edit: I've tried to replicate this since re-opening the file, but cannot do so.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @SimonM1981

I was just testing what @Mike_James was referring to (which I was unable to replicate by the way Mike) and may have stumbled across what may be preventing you from using that asterisk search.

The asterisk search only works if you are searching in the relevant fields underneath the column headers i.e. the Green section in the below screenshot. This method will not produce any results if you are enter it into the Item Number field directly i.e. the Red section - this requires the exact item number/description (preference dependant) to be entered.

Attachments.PNG

If you are entering into the space underneath the column headers and its still not working for yourself do produce those screenshots so we can investigate further for you.

SimonM1981
Experienced Cover User
51 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Steve & Mike

Thanks for your explainations.  Steve...I have tried how you eplained and it works perfectly.  THANK YOU SO MUCH.  This saves us a lot of time.  While it is not quite as goos at the Item List search it is close. 

Thanks again and all the best.

Simon

BRE
Contributing Cover User
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User

MYOB does not allow for variances in entering word search eg: probes. Will not find if saved as probe - shows zero entry - when there are 12 entries for probe - because I placed and extra character it will not find.?@%&