Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Ability to change preferences

Partner

3,363Posts

503Kudos

522Solutions

3,363 Posts
Partner
Australia

I urgently need the ability to be able to turn off  the security preference while having other windows open and to be able to keep this window open while I work on the other windows.

The reason I need this is that I know whether I can go in to a locked period and change an entry or not, but my mind is a bit forgetful at times (or the phone rings etc) and if after having changed one or more entries I don't have the security window still open to remind me, I have forgotten to relock the file.

My Tassie mate Tony has come up with a solution that may be able to be used to fix my problem and this is attached.

Maybe other Partners/CC's might like to vote or comment on whether they have this need as well.

"Security Preference"

Setup with Security Options Screen.jpg
Current Status: Done
Last Changed: September 2017

Hi Everyone

With the release of AccountRight 2015.4 came the ability to change the preferences without having to close down all other windows.

Although, you might need to reopen certain windows for the changes to take effect depending on the preference changed and the window/s you have open.

13 Comments
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Another workaround is to run another instance of AR2012 with the same file; you can currently sign in as the same user. Then keep that instance open at the security settings.

Julie_A_C
Partner
3,363 Posts
Partner

Thanks for that workaround Mike, it is a bit of a solution for the time being.

Now I just have to remember to open the file a second time when I want to do this and then unlock it, close the window for it to go through to the other open file and then reopen the preference window so it is on screen and prompts my memory, when I am rushing out the door, as to why I had two files open.  So long winded, I ran out of breath just writing all that....Smiley Frustrated

boba
Valued Cover User
257 Posts
Valued Cover User

I agree with Julie that this would be helpful. I have exactly the same problem. It would be nice if a message 'Period Lock On' or 'Period Lock Off' could show on the Task Bar the way it used to show  "Caps Lock On'  for Word and similar programs.

Alternatively could a warning message be shown when closing the file. At the moment it tells you it is xxx days since back up. Perhaps it could warn 'Period Lock Off''.

Bob

Dan_Moulton
40 Posts
Former Staff
Would it be useful if some users (Admin/Accountant Bookkeeper) could work in locked periods while other users could not, depending on the assigned role and access? That way you as a partner could do what you need to do, and the problem of remembering to switch the Locked Period back on goes away?
Julie_A_C
Partner
3,363 Posts
Partner

Hi Dan

Are you meaning that for some users the period would always be unlocked?

If you are this is no good because while I may be good I am not that good to always remember which out of all my clients is a monthly BAS and which is a quarterly as I am processing entries quickly, and while I try and make sure my fingers do what I want they will sometimes slip and may enter the wrong date.

This is also very pertinent at year end when you haven't yet done the BAS for the December quarter and can enter an entry dated 20/12/12 and you then enter an entry for January but in your haste you just enter 2/1 and the system picks it up with the year used on the previous entry  ie 2/1/12 (way outside BAS period and also outside the financial year that you haven't yet rolled because the adjustments are not back).

Dan_Moulton
40 Posts
Former Staff

I haven't fully thought it through, but I was more thinking that some users with extra privileges could have the ability to override the locked  period on a per transaction basis (with a warning maybe?) without needing to "Unlock" the period system wide (as this means its unlocked for anyone else who logs into the file).  I'm certainly keen to hear more from people as I think this is an important area especially when partners and clients are collaborating on AccountRight Live files. Your points about BAS periods are very pertinent as well and could do with a thread of their own e.g. Would an audit of changes made within an already reported BAS period be useful?

Julie_A_C
Partner
3,363 Posts
Partner

I think that would work if you had some users with more privileges and the warning was signifcant enough (ie you had to okay it).  It would just mean adding users as generally speaking at present most of my clients just have everyone and his dog signing in under the administrator login.

On your other point regarding the audit trail, I will start another thread as the existing audit trail is not very helpful.

boba
Valued Cover User
257 Posts
Valued Cover User

Hi Dan,

I think you are trying to make it too complicated. If you had warnings, as mentioned in my earlier post, it would probably do the job. I just want  help to  remember I've unlocked the file for some reason and to re-lock it.

If a warning came saying 'FILE UNLOCKED' up before the file closed that would be great. This would be created with the Preferences and anyone not wanting to use it would just not tick the box.

Bob

Julie_A_C
Partner
3,363 Posts
Partner

sorry Bob but I would have to disagree with you on that. 

At times I may not have had a bank statement up until the end of the quarter and I will just go with what I have to lodge the BAS.

The next time I am doing the bank rec if I had an owners drawing in the period then I know I can unlock the file, enter it, then relock the file so if I get called away and then come back to it I don't enter an expense (that was missed) in the locked period, I will get a warning and enter it under the 1st of the next quarter.

Or if my client is on an accruals basis and there was a payment of an account that had happened and not been entered, I would rather it be under the actual date of payment and will unlock the file, enter the transaction and then relock.  This also goes vice versa if they are a cash basis and a missing invoice is not noticed till the statement from the supplier comes.  I would much prefer the invoice to be recorded under the correct date and will unlock and relock.

Having the warning when closing down means there could have been quite a few hours of me entering in a locked off period because I had to unlock the file.

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi Dan,

Can you tell me if this idea will be implemented - I too find it very frustrating to get all the way through a transaction, only to find I have to lose the transaction to unlock the period. I am working on 31/3/13 accounts for the accountant, and am constantly having to unlock and lock the periods to make adjustments back in the Mar year.