Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Setup: Bulk deletion of transactions

Contributing User

8Posts

15Kudos

1Solutions

8 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand

I spent a good hour deleting 6 months worth of weekly transactions that weren't in the right place ( MYOB was in a merciful mood and actually let me delete them!), and each one had to be painstakingly selected, then opened, then the edit tap at the top of the screen clicked, then Delete Transaction from the drop down list clicked. Most frustrating.Smiley Frustrated

Instead of having to do the same thing hundreds of times, how about enabling a list of transactions to be selected with the mouse, shift-click, Command-click, or even Command A, then the selection right-clicked to get the same drop down list, then "delete transaction" clicked. An "Are you sure you want to delete 45 transactions?" warning would be appropriate here.

I reckon you guys should find some non-accountant types who've paid the thousands of dollars for training how to use the software, and let them show you how to set up the software to make it useable by people who actually want to do their own books eg "Mind their Own Business" without having to become an accountant first.Smiley Surprised

"Bulk Delete option in AccountRight"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: March 2014

Thanks for the idea Non_Accountant. I do agree with Ronatbas, bulk delete has good points and bad points, especially if the wrong data is deleted. This could be tackled by forcing you to make a backup at the time of bulk delete. It's usually best to reverse transactions rather than delete to keep an audit trail. We would love to hear what others think about this. Would having a bulk delete feature something you would like to see in the AccountRight software.

6 Comments
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner

I find the concept of bulk deletion very frightening - a bit like that Send to All on the phoneSmiley Happy. At some time someone is going to do the wrong thing and a lot of valid data could be lost

Given that you can change the Bank and the Account Number on any entry the only reason that an entry may  be deleted is if it is a duplicate and in the same reporting period. The GST implications of earlier duplicate entries mean that they should not be deleted, but should be reversed.

Ron

Barry_C
MYOB Staff
2,948 Posts
MYOB Staff
Thanks for the idea Non_Accountant. I do agree with Ronatbas, bulk delete has good points and bad points, especially if the wrong data is deleted. This could be tackled by forcing you to make a backup at the time of bulk delete. It's usually best to reverse transactions rather than delete to keep an audit trail. We would love to hear what others think about this. Would having a bulk delete feature something you would like to see in the AccountRight software.
KarlV
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

I do agree with 2 points - normally audit trails should be used to deal with newer treatments, policy changes etc. BUT, if the data just shouldn't bet there - ie migration data is wrong or it is simply easier to re-import then bulk delete has its place. Efficiency is key noting important functions such as security and audit control.

See my next post regarding bulk reclassification of transactions.

Vance
1 Post
User

Please can you implement this idea of bulk deleting invoices. There is a checkbox next to the invoice's but no delete function? 

shau
Experienced Cover User
64 Posts
Experienced Cover User

@Current Status - you say "It's usually best to reverse transactions rather than delete to keep an audit trail."

Speak for yourself.  It's important for companies, who are under more intense scrutiny and where more is at stake.  For a small business to have a gazzilion phantom transactions to clutter and distract, and slow down work with the file is not ideal.  Let each decide for themselves.  Don't prescribe rubbish - you really don't know people's circumstances.  If a data entry mistake is made for example, why in the heck would I as a small business owner want to keep that confusing information?  Maybe you have your reasons, but I have mine not to.

shau
Experienced Cover User
64 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Current Status - you say "It's usually best to reverse transactions rather than delete to keep an audit trail."

Speak for yourself.  It's important for companies, who are under more intense scrutiny and where more is at stake.  For a small business to have a gazzilion phantom transactions to clutter and distract, and slow down work with the file is not ideal.  Let each decide for themselves.  Don't prescribe rubbish - you really don't know people's circumstances.  If a data entry mistake is made for example, why in the heck would I as a small business owner want to keep that confusing information?  Maybe you have your reasons, but I have mine not to.