6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

2021.1 Forced Upgrade

Does anyone know why MYOB is decomissioning 2020.2, 2020.3 and 2020.4 without notification and at such short notice!! NOT HAPPY JAN.  Plus the MYOB compliance support line knows nothing about it.  Great job MYOB.  

12 REPLIES 12
Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,125 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,125Posts

732Kudos

797Solutions

Re: 2021.1 Forced Upgrade

Hi @HD 

Our newer versions ensure our cloud services are running at optimal performance and meet all compliance obligations. That is why we recommend that you always use the most up to date version of our software. This does mean that from time to time we will decommission older versions. We always provide at least 14 days’ notice by email before we do this to allow you to upgrade at your earliest convenience.

We will also post a decommisioning post on the forum with dates and information when decommissioning is scheduled: AccountRight 2020.2, 2020.3 and 2020.4 scheduled decommissioning

Please let us know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

HD
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Tracey,  I did not receive 14 days notice by email, in fact I still have not received an email.  I heard it on the grapevine.  So that leaves me with less than a week to organise IT support to upgrade the software on our server as we are working offline.  The myob website also states that the server version will now also need to be installed on each PC as well as the server. And your support people have advised if we don't upgrade by 1 March we won't be able to use our myob.

Please advise if this is correct.  Thank you.

Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,125 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,125Posts

732Kudos

797Solutions

Hi @HD 

The notifications are sent to the primary contact on the account, if you are the primary contact I would recommend checking your junk/spam folder. As explained in the linked decommissioning post, if you are using 2020.3 you will not be able to open your online file after 1st March. 

If you are using AccountRight on a network we do recommend that you uninstall the PC edition and install the Server edition to avoid files automatically updating. This just means that your employees will need to:

1. go to Control Panel>>Programs>>Uninstall or change a program>>uninstall the PC edition
  2. download the SE and install as per the installation wizard

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
131 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

131Posts

98Kudos

2Solutions

This is also the first I've heard of this!!!  No email has been received advising this - including in my junk folder that I check every day.  Not impressed either.  How can myob decommission such recent versions???  I'm still running 2020.3.  I'm wary of any update and like to wait a bit to see if there are any issues reported by other users.  Also I've been extremely busy so haven't even had a chance to look at it as we have multiple staff using our files and a Server Edition to update too.  

Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,125 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,125Posts

732Kudos

797Solutions

Hi @SharonSL 

To give you the best possible performance from AccountRight, we only keep the most recent versions in the cloud. This does mean that as new releases become available, we do need to decommission our older versions and you'll need to update your software to keep working smoothly.

With the introduction of automatic updates in the 2021.1 release I recommend that you read through the following help articles and posts. If you have the PC edition installed on employee PC's we do recommend uninstalling the PC edition and installing the Server edition on all computers to avoid upgrade issues. Automatic updates will be introduced for the Server edition later this year.

AccountRight 2021.1 is available

Getting the latest version

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
131 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

131Posts

98Kudos

2Solutions

Hi Tracey,

I just feel like this is the first time in 5 years I've been in this position.  

I'm running 5 files - 3 online and 2 locally on the server.  The server prompted me to upgrade to 2020.1 last week, our pc's had the banner advising 2020.4 was available.  I clicked on that this morning but it doesn't look like anything happened, no new version icon on my desktop.  When I log in now it prompts me to upgrade to 2021.1. The version in About is still 2020.3, can we go from that straight to 2021.1? 

Can you please provide more info on the PC/Server editions as we are using a mix of files?  I also work from my laptop at home so will need to set that up to match too.

AndrewStephen
Valued Cover User
990 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

990Posts

640Kudos

14Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

I didn't receive any emails about the pending decommissioning of the various versions.

Maybe, just maybe MYOB have issues sending out these emails. We all know you have issues from time to time send invoices etc from AccountRight some maybe you also have issues send these notification emails.

These are the last emails I received from MYOB (18.02.21)

NEW! Surcharging, auto-reconciliation and more! (09.02.21)

Andrew, your MYOB product and industry updates (09.02.21
MYOB Developer Update (16.12.20)

HD
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Sharon,

We have been using MYOB Premier/AccountRight for 30 years and have generally had a good experience and like their product.  The previous version (19), was more robust, user friendly and easier on the eyes, however, I guess we are all forced to move with technology. I think they have dropped the ball with the email notification, however, regardless of that, 14 days notice is not enough time for already stressed and busy small business owners who are short on resources and have their business operations to consider.  14 days might be fine for those on the cloud but not for those working offline where servers are involved.  I think the idea is to force everyone to the cloud.

MYOB also need to let their own organisation know about changes/upgrades.  When I first called the compliance support section I was told that the upgrade wasn't true!  When I persisted, the woman went away to ask and eventually rang me back and said it was true but wasn't really able to provide any further information or assistance.

I feel that more specific information on the nature of the upgrades would have been useful so that we can make an informed decision as to whether we need to put ourselves under extra pressure to act on the forced deadline or give ourselves a little bit more time.  For example, I was told by MYOB support on the weekend that if we don't upgrade by the due date, the only issue will be that Single Touch Payroll won't be functional.  Whether that is completely accurate or not I don't know.

I've also spent a significant amount of money getting IT people to upgrade us from version 19 to version 2020 thinking we had come up to speed with the latest technology only to now be told we need to uninstall the PC versions and install the server edition on everything.  ???I'm not sure what the difference is or what effect that will have.

I believe we can go from 2020.3 to 2021.1 - non of the support staff have advised otherwise.  If you call support or chat line and get the right support person they can send you links to all the relevant updates/upgrades that you need.

Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,125 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,125Posts

732Kudos

797Solutions

Hi @SharonSL 

There are only three differences between the PC edition and the Server edition (SE): 

1. SE requires Windows administrator access to install
  2. SE allows users on other computers on your office network to access AccountRight files stored on your computer
  3. PC edition now has automatic updates, this will be coming to the SE later in 2021

From 2021.1 onwards, the PC edition will automatically update when a new version is released. This means that when a new version is released it will be automatically installed on your pc. The next time you open AccountRight your file will have upgraded to the latest version. You cannot turn this function off.

If you have a network with the PC edition installed on laptops and computers you will get prompted to update to 2021.1. If you do so, your file will be automatically upgraded to 2021.1. This will cause issues as the server and other PC edition users won't be on the same version.

To prevent these upgrade issues you need to install and use the SE on all PCs/laptops. The PC edition can be uninstalled by going to Control Panel>>Programs>>Uninstall or change a program>>uninstall the PC edition. The SE can be installed by clicking on the Download button under To install the Server Edition in this help article: Getting the latest version

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post