2FA AccountRight (desktop) keeps asking for a verification code after ticking "trust device for 30 days"

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Partner JAM168
41 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

41Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

2FA AccountRight (desktop) keeps asking for a verification code after ticking "trust device for 30 days"

Hi and please link to another post if this has been already dealt with (but I haven't found it on the forums so far),

I have set up 2FA with AR 2018.2. I always use the latest versions of MYOB when it is available.

When I log in, I put in my 2FA code from my authenticator app and tick trust this device for 30 days.  It logs in to the desktop app, no issues.

The problem is that I get this 2FA screen every time I log in which is daily.

So I would like to know what is the use of ticking to remember the device for 30 days if it has to ask me to reauthenticate daily?

Untitled.png
32 REPLIES 32
Super User sholt73
917 Posts
Super User
Australia
Super User

917Posts

556Kudos

0Solutions

Re: 2FA AccountRight (desktop) keeps asking for a verification code after ticking "trust device for 30 days"

do you sign out of AccountRight after ticking the box?

41 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

41Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Re: 2FA AccountRight (desktop) keeps asking for a verification code after ticking "trust device for 30 days"

No, I don't believe so. I just exit the app but when I log in, my userID is always signed in because it says "Online"

Super User sholt73
917 Posts
Super User
Australia
Super User

917Posts

556Kudos

0Solutions

i'm curious when the cookie is deleted. as it works for me.

so what I'd be checking on is if I sign into a file and hit the command centre, then close the app, reboot the PC (or log off) and sign back in do we get the same screen?

let's give myob as much information as possible. I made a post here about this: https://community.myob.com/t5/MYOB-Essentials-Accounting/2-step-Authenticator/m-p/535940#M32891

you've given more detail than most on this forum so it'll be nice if this is a cornerstone to gather information.

41 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

41Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

@sholt73, thanks for your speedy replies to my post as we try to nut this out together. 

I don't believe that any cookies are involved because this involves signing in to AccountRight the desktop version, rather than Essentials (online version). I am not using any browser to access the desktop version nor is any browser open at the time I log in to this application.

I use a PC, so it's a 64 bit OS, Win 10 Pro. All Windows updates are up to date and current.

I get the same screen because I hit Exit so I am still signed in to my email. The reason I know this is because I get the following screen (see attached PNG).  It doesn't say "You are not logged/signed in" which is what I expect to see with the 2FA error that I initially reported.

It does not matter that I leave the PC on, turn it off, restart it etc. I still get this request for 2FA daily, despite ticking to trust my PC for 30 days.

Untitled2.png
Super User sholt73
917 Posts
Super User
Australia
Super User

917Posts

556Kudos

0Solutions

AccountRight's sign in window is a customised Internet Explorer browser when it asks you for the email & password and 2FA prompt. they're just embedded windows utilising the IE core, as a result this would save cookies.

we're running a similar environment so I would expect the same behaviour. if I sign into an online file my 2FA prompts work as intended, including remembering this PC. 

however, when I sign out I note my cookie is deleted from my IE files. so if I sign into AccountRight, use 2FA and remember the device for 30 days. I close the software, reboot, etc and go back in. I'm all fine and dandy.

I sign out of AccountRight, my cookie is deleted.

if you are not signing out this would make me think that something's clearing that cookie or there is a problem with how myob store their cookies in the customised IE environment.

let's be as crystal clear as possible for the myob support people to send on:

The steps I follow without troubles:

Day 1:

1. I open AccountRight and click onto my company file in the recently opened listing,

2. I sign in using my email and password (remembering for 12 hours)

3. I enter the authorisation code from my Google Authenticator app (Choosing to trust my device for 30 days)

4. I proceed to open my file.

5. I close my software and re-open and I am still signed in and do not get another 2FA prompt so I can open my file again.

Day 2:

1. I open AccountRight and click onto my company file in the recently opened listing,

3. I proceed to open my file.

4. I close my software and re-open and click Open }} Online, I am still signed in and do not get another 2FA prompt so I can open my file again.

Herman's thoughts:

if I re-open my file and go to Open }} Online, and click "Sign out" and sign back in, I'm asked for 2FA again.

seems like lazy coding to me.

i'm curious what behaviour you get following the same steps

41 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

41Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

@sholt73, No worries - leave it with me for a few days and I'll post an update to what is happening now that I knwo what to look out for.

41 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

41Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @sholt73,

Here are the results of my experiment (using cut and paste from you so you can see that I am following your process):

Day 1:

1. Open AccountRight and click onto my company file in the recently opened listing,

2. Sign in using my email and password (remembering for 12 hours)

3. Enter the authorisation code from my Google Authenticator app (Choosing to trust my device for 30 days)

4. Proceed to open my file.

5. Close my software (File->Exit) and re-open and I am still signed in and do not get another 2FA prompt so I can open my file again.

Day 2:

3. It asks me for a 2FA prompt again.

4. I proceed to open my file.

5. I close my software (File->Exit) and re-open and click Open }} Online, I am still signed in and do not get another 2FA prompt so I can open my file again.

My IE is v.11.228.17134.0. It is set to retain the cache for 21 days so I am curious as to how the cookies for MYOB is being deleted.

It will only ask me for the prompt again if I actually "sign out" of a current session (irrespective of whether it is on Day 1 or Day 2). So I am curious to know why I am being signed out when I ticked "remember device for 30 days". It seems like a rather superflous option to select, if this is the case.

Experienced Cover User KatrinaF
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Hi all,

Sorry to crash your thread, but I am also experiencing the same issue (needing authentication code every time even if trust for 30 days chosen).  When I first signed up for 2FA it worked fine, it has only been the last couple of weeks that it has been a problem.  When I first searched for solutions, the suggestion was to clear browser and cookie history which I did; the problem remained.

Don't mind me, I'll just sit in the background here to see if solved :-)

Katrina

chifley
5 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

5Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I'm looking for answers to something else and just saw this thread.  The 2FA keeps asking me as well for verification even though I select "trust this device..."  Again when 2FA was first introduced it worked fine, however that has changed over recents months.

Jane

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post