Another Day and another System.OutOfMemoryException

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Valued Cover User AndrewStephen
794 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

794Posts

551Kudos

0Solutions

Another Day and another System.OutOfMemoryException

This is becoming a joke.
Got to work this morning at 6.15am and already had customers wait.

Openned AR2018.4.1 on the counter pc

Started entering a sale about 6.30 and get an error.
Need to close AR2018.4.1 and it takes ~5 min to start back so I can enter a sale.

Nothing running on the counter PC other than Chrome, Webroot and AR2018.4.1 (don't even use Outlook anymore on this PC).  Got as far as selecting the customer

Come on MYOB you need to fix these Out of Memory Errors.
I am wasting an hour each day and starting to annoy customers have to wait.

AccountRight Application Error Report
=====================================
Application Version: 2018.4.21.6219
Application File Version: 2018.4.21.6556
Incident Id: b7c72a2e-3ced-40f8-9c66-19da27bd73f2
Time: Friday, 14 December 2018 6:33:28 AM

Code:
System.OutOfMemoryException

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

8 REPLIES 8
794 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

794Posts

551Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Another Day and another System.OutOfMemoryException

Another day and another System.OutOfMemoryException
This time I was doing a the bank rec for our accounts for the last 7 days.
I have the bank rec screen open and the sales -> receive payments open

Wasting hours each day.

ccountRight Application Error Report
=====================================
Application Version: 2018.4.21.6219
Application File Version: 2018.4.21.6556
Incident Id: ea06f07f-c1d0-46f2-a3d2-1754d045da70
Time: Saturday, 15 December 2018 7:54:58 AM

Code:
System.OutOfMemoryException

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,750 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

2,750Posts

2,109Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @AndrewStephen

I admire your perseverance - it may be the only way to get things fixed. FYI as a matter of interest, how big is your .myox file, or if it is online and you can't tell, how big was the .myo file before it was upgraded. The upgrade adds about 25% to an optimised file and hosting it online adds about another 30% due to tracking tables.

Regards

Gavin

794 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

794Posts

551Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @gavin12345

Datafile before upgrade was approx 550mb
It was optimized and verified before uploading.

The download backup of the online file taken taken the evening of the upgrade show the myox file was approx 1.2gb over double its original size.

Regards

Andrw

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,750 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

2,750Posts

2,109Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @AndrewStephen

At 1.2 GB this is definitely not the size AR2018.4 was designed for. My guess is the target audience was 50-100 MB.

AR2018.4 can handle up to about 300 MB reasonably well, UNLESS Cards or Items or Jobs exceed about 5000, these users will struggle even with smaller files.

I recommend to anyone upgrading to AR2018 from v19 that they strip absolutely everything out of their v19 file (by way of purging) in terms of all prior year transactions and then any Cards and Items no longer required. Even though MYOB's purging in v19 is limited (many old transactions can be left in the file), there is no purging at all in AR2018.

There are 3rd parties that can purge a AR2018 file (or even a v19 file properly) however this can be costly. If MYOB can't fix the OutOfMemoryException issues quickly, IMO they should at least re-introduce a purge function in AR2018.

All the best with your campaign for a better AR2018.

Regards

Gavin

794 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

794Posts

551Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @gavin12345

And there lays the issue.

We have over 4000 inventory items, 53000 customer cards and 500 supplier cards.

MYOB are forcing legacy users across to AR2018 due to the lack of support for the last several years.

This has been a long agurement I have had with MYOB.  Why am I paying support for nothing, no new features, no bug files and all I get for my money is tax tables.

We had been having issues daily with v19 crashing if more then one user using premier at a time.

Tried everything MYOB suggested, even when as far as a new RDP server with a dedicated Enterprise SSD just to use v19, which still didn't help.  The cost of that excersise was approx $5000

Datafile was sent to for a repair, just incase it was corrupt all OK.

In the end was basically advised to upgrade to AR2018 which is when my really issue started.

Come the 1st of July we will move to something else, but still have 6 months of daily headaches with v2018.4

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,750 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

2,750Posts

2,109Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @AndrewStephen

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of troubles with MYOB. Surprised to hear running v19 in Terminal Server environment did not help - I assuming this is what you mean by RDP Server. For most Premier users this makes a big difference to performance and drop outs as you take the network out of the equation.

I have read that even v19 has an effective limit of about 6-7000 for things like Cards and Items. Clearly it works with a lot more, however performance issues can emerge, esp as more users are added. My guess would be the 53k Customer list is the biggest hurdle, for both v19 and AR2018. Are they all current and required? If not I know someone who can delete in bulk from either v19 or AR2018.

For some strange reason in AR2018 I think you will find that even if you are dealing with just one customer, AR2018 creates and holds in memory an object for every customer, this will quickly exceed your memory limit. Try monitoring memory usage as suggested in my post here https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Sales-and-purchases/Error-Messages/m-p/551587#M50148 - this may give you a better understanding of what AR2018 is doing wrong - in case you need to point this out to the developers. I agree this is not something you should be doing, however MYOB do not seem to be much help to you at the moment.

Regards

Gavin

794 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

794Posts

551Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @gavin12345

Yes, RDP Server. Speed was better but didn't help with the application closing on us.

Not all cards are needed and I guess if it helps keep the sanity of the staff looking at deleting cards if an option.  If you can please let me know the details it would be appreciated.

Having spent the last 30 years working in the Point-of-Sale Software / Hardware industry as a Technical Manager working closely with developers to add new features, fix bugs etc I finish it beyond belief that MYOB have no means (and are not interested) in getting these bugs / issue details.  For 90% of the bugs I have found I can reproduce and was happy to share with MYOB, but everyone I speak to basically said not my problem, nothing I can do just post on the community forum.

Its time MYOB stop adding new features, fix the issues in the current software and focus on providing bug free software that works.    

Other than a couple of new features in v2018 such as being able to email invoices, orders etc to mutiple people at the same time, the search boxes and column sorting on the Sales / Purchase register screen v2018 is a backwards steps as compared to v19

There appears to be no real guidance or design though when adding new features.
Invoice Reminders & Bank Feed is a good example.  No throught, no consultion with customers what would use the features and the lack of customsing.   

For Example
Where is the Automatic Invoice reminders option ? Its on the emailing Tab
On the emailing tab there is an option  to Send Emails Using AccountRight
You can set the From Name etc

All emails from within AccountRight use these details except Automatic Invoice Reminders.
It users the company name not the From name, why would they do this ?  Make no sense.
Why not attach the invoices if you select the option to attach a PDF when emailing ? Make no sense.

There is no ability to edit the body text or the subject, why ? This make no sense.

Thanks

Andrew

Experienced Cover User FAB
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

80Posts

49Kudos

0Solutions

I don't have any advice for you but I saw your post and felt like I had to reply

Our file size is pretty large as well.  The file size of the last backup we did was about 660kb.  It takes hours for a backup to complete, sometimes I have to check it out in order to do a backup, then check it back in.  It is becoming more and more cumbersome by the day

I looked into purging old data, but know with AR live they do not have this functionality.  For the love of god MYOB, please bring this back in !  It would fix SO many issues a lot of us are having

As the poster said, instead of bringing in all these 'you beaut' feautures that most of us don't even need, every time you do an update, why don;t you instead focus of fixing issues such as file size, allowing us to purge old data etc etc.

When you DON'T prioritise these issues, we start to look elsewhere.  When you're paying $100 p/m just to be able to use MYOB, we expect a lot more functionality.  I have looked at a lot of other options - having a second company file (don't know where I will get the time from to transfer all the data for the cards etc over to the new file and wouldn't know where to start in doing this either)  Have also got a quote from someone that purges data, but even they said they could purge quite a bit and it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference

I love MYOB AR, it has everything I need for our business, but it is becoming very clunky and it needs to be fixed.  Get your act together MYOB, fix this stuff to so with the file size.  You're happy to take our $100 p/m but not improve your software

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post