Backup Error since latest Release of 2022.5 - unable to backup from client PC (desktop PC). Can only backup by login onto MYOB in physical server

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
KerrieP77
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Backup Error since latest Release of 2022.5 - unable to backup from client PC (desktop PC). Can only backup by login onto MYOB in physical server

Everytime we upload an new Release there is ALWAYS an issue.  It does make you think is it time to change to an alternate Accounting Software package....  ??

The new release 2022.4 has resulted in the removal of the functionality to perform a backup from your desktop PC. and gives an error message if you try to perform the back up from the PC . Error message - " The network cannot be found".  Attached file.

Due to poor internet coverage in our area we cannot be cloud based, so have to use  MYOB on a server edition.  After 2 1/2 hrs working with the MYOB help desk to resolve the error & enable back up from a desktop PC - like we have for the past 18yrs, they have said this functionality has been removed - with no logic reason as to why.  Hence the only way for us to perform a back up now is to physically go onto our server (which staff should not be able to do for business security reasons) and open MYOB and perform a backup on that physical Server PC. 

- Issues: - Staff are accessing a server PC which is against business policy & poor business practice

- MYOB back up then saved to a server hard-drive not the network server directory.  Network sever directory is backed up remotely each night, which means the server hard drive is not included in that back up.  Irrespective data should not be saved on a Sever hard drive anyway as a business operation. 

The network drives are not accessable (& should not be accessable on a server) for the staff to backup to, hence the staff  have to backup to USB then physically save to server directory via a PC , to ensure the files can be backed up off-site nightly.

- MYOB could easily re-instate this functionality in the next update without it impacting any of their other user functions.  It has been available for the past 20yrs that I have been using MYOB, so why does it need to change ???? 

What difference is it making to MYOB, instead just frustrating the small user with poor internet who is not not cloud based  ??

2022 - MYOB backup error message after install of Version 2022-4.PNG
14 REPLIES 14
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Backup Error since latest Release of 2022.5 - unable to backup from client PC (desktop PC). Can only backup by login onto MYOB in physical server

Hi @KerrieP77 

Thanks for your post. I've just confirmed with our developers that the back up function has not been removed and you can perform a back up from the PC Edition in a network environment. 

To resolve the error you are getting you will need to check the Windows shares by following the instructions in this Help Article: AccountRight library service issues

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

RogerCooper
2 Posts
User

2Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Backup Error since latest Release of 2022.5 - unable to backup from client PC (desktop PC). Can only backup by login onto MYOB in physical server

Hi Tracey,

I'm having the exact same error. Everything about 2022.5 seems to work well except for the backup. I followed the instructions in your link but it still doesn't work for us. Are you able to point me towards a solution please? In the meantime I can backup from the server. 

Thanks for your help.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @RogerCooper 

Our developers have advised that the issue with doing a back up from the PC edition is caused by the Windows shares. The resolution for this is to make sure you have the correct configuration for the Windows shares by following the steps in that Help Article.

More information is found here: AccountRight SE Technical Notes

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

RogerCooper
2 Posts
User

2Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Tracey,

That was the solution. I thought I had checked but I missed creating all of those shares. Now that they are created the backup works as expected.

Best regards,

Roger.

GeoffOReilly
Contributing Cover User
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

12Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Roger, 

We have tried creating the shares and still getting the same result. Could you please provide more detail in how you configured the shares? 

KerrieP77
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Following up from my earlier post and I have had my IT man use the share info that was provided to another MYOB use regarding fixing the shares on the server after the 5.1 upgrde. 

However my IT guru has corrected the folder shares (as per your website), given full permissions to write to the “AccountRight.Backup” folder.

We’ve manually gone to that folder and are able to create and delete files in there (which proves the permissions are correct).

But, again when we try to do a backup in MYOB, it comes up with an error (I can provide a screen shot to MYOB support to show the files etc )- that it could not find \\JASTECSVR\AccountRight.Backup\MYOB07072022.zip even though we chose “H:\MYOB Old Data\2022-2023\MYOB07072022.zip” as the location we wanted to save to.

We’ve done our backups this way for the last 15 years, and never had an issue until this latest update of MYOB.

It is becoming very frustrating.  

KerrieP77
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

After uninstalling and reloading MYOB on the PC and as per above note had my IT guy work through the shares as per MYOB details - still not able to back up from PC.  I have to log onto server to perform backup -breaching company policy by accessing server to undertake back up.   I we are doing something wrong with the share please let me know & we can resolve.  Info attached.

PLEASE PLEASE Can I have some assistance to resolve this issue.  Tied of waiting on hold for extended extended times even though they say I am esculated through the help desk  !!!

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @KerrieP77 and @RogerCooper 

Our developers are investigating why completing the Window Shares steps isn't resolving this issue for some users. A possible workaround in the meantime is to back up the file locally instead of using the network library.

I'll update this post when more information is available.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

GeoffOReilly
Contributing Cover User
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

12Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

We found a new(?) app ‘Set Library Location SE’ on the server. so, when all else failed, we ran this App from the Server and pointed it to the server's local path to the MYOB database files. This seems to have resolved this nagging issue for us. We are back to where we are able to run backups to a server location from each PC upon closing a company file (as was the case before 2022.5

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post