Backup Local file - error

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Backup Local file - error

Hi Folks (and backend techs I suspect)

On backup of locally run 2020.2 files I am getting an ERROR

'The Connection to the server was lost. Please check that the server is on and connected to the network'

Every local file I try to backup on a 2016 Server - same problem.

Yes - permissions to write are fine/ I am saving to a location set for everyone - even trying to my own desktop as administrator - same warning.

Here is my take on the error - I suspect a flag in the file is still set or in a config file - why.

That error is commonly seen when backing up from a cloud file (and I often see it at the end of a successful backup (that has taken 45 mins).

So why am I getting it. I suspect the following reason.

When I upgrade a file for a client (this was a new client with 10 files) - for payroll and STP - a user must have a logon with an myob.com.au account - and the only way to initiate this is to upload the file to the cloud space - and then send an invite for a user - which initiates the client to get an myob.com.au account.

I then take this file offline - however they 'take offline' feature (which has now been abragated as not supported anymore) was a muddling by the system and it makes a copy of the file in an offline location in MYOB (specific for that user) - and not the Library for that computer - i.e. there was no way to remove the file from the cloud and run locally - if you back it up - then restore the file locally and run (the flags in the MYOB file are still set for it being a cloud file) - I tried to take it offline - then I copied the file from the offline location to the Library location - and when I wanted to go online in the future - I select go online - don't synch - then restore from backup. 

A mess MYOB - so now I have a whole set of 10 files who think they are in the cloud and won't back up - how do I fix MYOB.

Also what is the method now to take a file offline - backup - and open locally - then restore - but how about the flags for back up.

Need your help MYOB please.

The Doc 

8 REPLIES 8
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Backup Local file - error

Hi @The_Doc 

From what you are describing you may be receiving that error because the server locator is failing. I'll give you the link to help articles which may help resolve your issues:

AccountRight library service issues 

AccountRight server locator service issues

Please do let me know how you go with this.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

It was a Library Service issue - the connector in the tray had an error - all services were running fine - so I closed that tray service.

Reset The Library to its actual existing position and all worked thanks.

Hmm - learning about this MYOB all the time - good gen.

Whilst you are all ears

MYOB AR PC version and SE - in the early stages we had to install the SERVER version using a run command line and we never used the .exe

That is because the .exe SE always hung on the last stage of install ( I have since found a registry fix that prevents that), however our tech guy argues that he only installs the SE on a SERVER that is to act as a SERVER for the MYOB files serving up the files (i.e. if the local MYOB files are stored on a network server.

He then installs the PC version on the Server acting as a remote desktop server which has the functioning MYOB 2020.2 package running.

Please confirm or set me right that the SE should be installed on ALL true servers as a true multi-user package and that the PC version should only be installed on a single instance PC.

The Doc

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @The_Doc 

Our recommendation is to install the Server Edition on the server and the PC edition on all the computers that will access AccountRight files stored on the server. Then you would need to set up the network libary on the server, followed by setting it up on each pc. This help article goes through the process: Set up a network

Please let me know if I haven't settled your debate and you need more information.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Doesn't answer the question.

This is a cloud services environment - you do not have a network per se - you have linked virtual servers.

Server 1 - is a remote desktop serving server - running Server 2019 Virtual - serving up remote access from PC terminals in clients local space.

Server 1 has a mapped storage - which may actually just be CSmiley Very Happyrive of that Server (but may be D Drive or another remote drive) - let just say it is C: Drive

My argument is you install SE on this server

Because this has been suffering under MYOB load - 20 -30 users opening 10 MYOB files - we have cloned another SERVER 

SERVER 2 - identical with SERVER 1  - and we have moved some remote desktop users to that server - so we are load sharing - however all the MYOB files are now on CSmiley Very Happyrive (mapped as SSmiley Very Happyrive) so we have created on SERVER 2 a mapped network resource to SSmiley Very Happyrive (CSmiley Very Happyrive of SERVER 1).

My argument is that these are both servers and SE should be installed on BOTH servers because they are servers - not because of the fact that SERVER 1 is actually serving the MYOB files from CSmiley Very HappyRIVE (SSmiley Happy to SERVER 2.

The tech argues that SERVER 2 should only have PC edition installed because it is not serving files.

My argument is that it is a SERVER therefore you should install the SERVER Edition.

There are no PC involved - the local client PC is essentially a dumb terminal - MYOB is ONLY installed on the SERVERS in hte cloud.

I hope you understand this description.

The DOC

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @The_Doc 

Generally the Server Edition is designed to be installed on the computer that is hosting the company file so it can run the AccountRight services on it. The PC edition is used to connect to those services and thus does need to be installed on the workstations for those clients to access the shared files stored on the host machine. However, each set up can be different and will depend on other factors in that situation.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

You still haven't answered the important point.

Both the are servers - there are not PCs

Both are Remote Desktop Serving Servers - 2019 full 64 bit Servers ( PCs do not exist)

Scenario 1

Server 1 = RDP = 30 users = MYOB AR 2020.2 - DSmiley Very Happyrive on server is AR Library

There are no PCS - everyone logs onto server remotely and run in sessions - MYOB AR 2020.2 accesses local DSmiley Very Happyrive library - 

Note this is a server - it is not serving up the file UNLESS you define that this server is serving up the file to each user in their own session but what version would you install on this SERVER - SE or PC version

Scenario2

Clone Server 1 as Server 2 - install MYOB 2020.2 (but files now need to be accessed via the network to DSmiley Very Happyrive on Server 1

What version would you now install on SERVER 1 and SERVER 2

This is a real situation - and I have a difference of opinion on which version.

THERE ARE NO PCS in these scenarios - 

The Doc

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @The_Doc 

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in to offer some thoughts on this, as I just want to clarify a few things given it’s an uncommon situation. As terminal server and cloud server setups can be very intricate and complex, I’m going to speak a bit more generally about what the different versions are designed for.

In terms of how the Server Edition (SE) works, at minimum it would need to be installed on whichever machine or machines are hosting the files. It basically has all the necessary back end functionality to allow other users to access the files on that machine. Whilst the SE needs to be on the server, it can be installed on other machines as it is still a full version of the PC installer with a few back end extras to allow other users to access the files via a network.

As such if you had a hypothetical network where you had 2 computers, where computer 1 hosts everything and computer 2 just accesses the AccountRight files off computer you could have the SE on both. Having the SE on computer 2 would still allow the files to be accessed on computer 1, no different than if you had the PC edition installed on computer 2.

Additionally having two computers with SE installed would allow the AccountRight files to be split across the machines, for example half are only stored on one and the other half of the files on the other. This could be considered later down the track depending on the use of the files to help manage traffic across the servers.

The PC edition of AccountRight lacks any sort of sharing capability in terms of files stored on that computer. Its fundamentally designed to either work on files stored on that machine, or if the files are stored on another machine, link to the SE on that machine by way of a network library. Do note that the MSI installer is just a slightly modified version of the PC installer designed to install on terminal servers across multiple profiles.

At the end of the day, you can install the SE instead of the PC edition on a computer and it will still connect to the network library and access the files on another computer.

I hope this helps clarify the different versions and their basic capabilities from a networking standpoint.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Neil_M & @Tracey_H 

Thanks for your help.

Yes finally I think I have the information I need -  I have an added layer in that I do require the API to function on the server so I had presupposed there was a difference.

However, on that front the .msi doesn't install it - you have to install it separately as a downloaded .msi file.

However, SE does install it - also I note both the SE and the MSI version will install together on the same server placing an SE icon or a simple AR icon.

The other problem that seemed to rear its head was that on a server (not requiring access to network files) I had installed the .msi for various users on the Terminal Server and the API (which is heavily used) - not understanding their purposes (ie that the SE was just a trumped up version of the msi - I uninstalled the .msi version and installed the SE version - and the API - things worked but backup errored with a "cannot find resource" - this never happened with the .msi version.

I have since reinstalled the .msi version - everything is working fine as is backup.

And the API is finally working - that is another story but it stopped working - then for some reason I have yet to fathom the LibraryPath as seen by different versions is different.

Under 2020.1 the AR location hasn't changed - and the libraryPath doing a localHost search was

LibraryPath: csf.myox

After all the above fluffing and my API call program not working because suddenly without a change to the actual Library Location the libraryPath has changed it is now

LibraryPath:\\csf.myox

That caused me 2 hours of hunting to find the fault - 

Thanks again for your help.

The Doc

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post