Cannot Open file on a network drive -

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
PaulAnderson
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Cannot Open file on a network drive -

Hi' I have an old Assus PC I'm running MYOB AccountRight. I've upgraded to 2020.1 and because of speed issue want to dispense with the Assus PC.

I mainly use a MacAir for all other daily IT chores. I have downloaded Parallels with the goal of running AccountRight on the Mac through Parallels. The Parallels has loaded successfully and I have downloaded AccountRight into the Parallels partition successfully. I can open AccountRight and all seems OK. 

I have taken backup copies of all yearly files off the Assus and loaded these into the MYOB Accountright directory within Parallels with I understand is like a restore. All files list under the MyLibrary ok. When I go to open the file it gets past the User and password but then stops for all years with an error message which  comes up "Cannot Open file stored on a Network Drive". Not sure what to do next. HELP. I don't wish to prgfress to Online and don't think setting up a network is cirrect. I'm simply replacing one PC with another.

7 REPLIES 7
Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Re: Cannot Open file on a network drive -

HI @PaulAnderson 

MYOB does not support the use of third-party programs, like Parallels, to run AccountRight on unsupported operating environments. This is because third party programs often change things in the back end which can prevent the software from functioning as expected.

The error message about the file being stored on a network drive means that AccountRight detects that the file is stored on a shared or network drive. On a Windows computer this would be overcome by using the Set Library Location tool available in the Windows menu to change the library location to a location solely on that computer.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

PaulAnderson
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks for responding Neil,

Do I deduce from your answer that MAC users cannot use Parallels to run MYOB? If so,

What do MAC owners do therefore?

Is there a MAC version? Are they excluded from MYOB's product?

I have used MYOB since it was first offered back in the 90's. 

Please advise.

PaulAnderson
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Neil,

I'm yet to buy Windows 10 /activate Windows set up within Parallels.

Presumably once i have bought Windows 10 and activated windows I have a windows computer albeit a apportined space ona a mac.

SoI should be able to follow your setting adjustment above.

Is that a fair deduction?

I'm not a techo, so hoping that will work.

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Hi @PaulAnderson 

To clarify, MYOB AccountRight is designed to be run on and is supported on a native Windows environment. Third party programs like Parallels used to allow the installation on unsupported systems like a Mac are not supported by MYOB, and while they may work,  MYOB does not offer technical support for those unsupported systems.

As explained previously third party programs designed to install Windows systems and programs on unsupported systems do make changes in the back end which can prevent the Windows based AccountRight from operating correctly.

Should have any issues with the installation or operation of AccountRight on an unsupported operating system, you would be looking at enlisting the help of an IT professional. Do note that as you are using an unsupported system I’m not able to provide specific assistance beyond what has already been provided.

In terms of a Mac specific product, MYOB did offer AccountEdge. This was a similar product to AccountRight. Do note that AccountEdge is only supported on 32 bit OS and as such the latest version would not operate on the Catalina OS.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,839Posts

1,080Kudos

755Solutions

Hi @PaulAnderson , the link below has a solution which may work, although it is from 2016. It suggests installing the server version of AccountRight and creating a network library named "library" with a network address of "localhost". 

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Installing-and/MYOB-live-2016-21-and-Parallels/m-p/420527...

Current and prior versions of AccountRight are found at:

https://www.myob.com/au/support/downloads or https://www.myob.com/nz/support/downloads

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

PaulAnderson
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Well Guys,

Parallels and AccountRightBasic work perfectly together.

The solution is quite simple.

Copy all myox files into :This PC>Local Disc(CSmiley Happy>Users>Self>MYOB. AccoiuntRight opens to that local directory.

Its brilliant :-)

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,839Posts

1,080Kudos

755Solutions

Thanks @PaulAnderson for this solution!

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post