Partner Zone
Partner Zone

MYOB AccountRight Exporting CSV - Formatting Error

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Cover User zswiss
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
zswiss
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

MYOB AccountRight Exporting CSV - Formatting Error

I am running AccountRight 2018.4.1, and have searched the forum trying to find someone that might have pointed out that MYOB incorrectly exports CSV files. I'm not sure what parser they are using, but special characters are not handles correctly. When opening the exported file in a text editor, the MYOB exported file does not escape special characters correctly. As an example, take the following field content: 

3/8", 2-Way Solenoid

This should be parsed and exported like this:

(The whole field is quoted because of the existing comma, and the quote mark after the number 8 is escaped by placing another quote mark beside it.)

"3/8"", 2-Way Solenoid"

However, MYOB exports the field like this:

(The quote mark after the number 8 is not escaped)

"3/8", 2-Way Solenoid"

This effectively causes parsing errors when opening in Excel or any other program that uses CSV parses. Can this be escellated to the Development Team. I have no idea what kind of parsing software MYOB are implementing, but this is somewhat unbelievable.

All of the above was tested on a complete export of Item, from our company file.

4 REPLIES 4
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
31,019 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

31019Posts

3921Kudos

4518Solutions

Re: MYOB AccountRight Exporting CSV - Formatting Error

Hi @zswiss

When you export data from AccountRight to a CSV file that contains a comma, like a description, the field information is surrounded by quote marks. For example "item, description"

AccountRight doesn't differentiate a quote mark already included in that description as a quote mark, it is just treated as another character. As such, this does mean that it will add in the quote marks to the end of the description which in turn can make the file invalid or misaligned in another program like Excel. For example, the AccountRight exp[ort would be "item", description".

If this is not required you would be looking at exporting out the data as a tab-delimited file from AccountRight before opening in Excel or another program to save it as a CSV if required or look into reviewing the use of quote marks on transactions.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
zswiss
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Hi @Steven_M,

I won't get into the intricate details of CSV files, but there are special cases when parsing these files and that's why we use parsing/formatting libraries which handle these. I can assure you that MYOB does this as well. When I export "Item List [Summary]", quotes are properly escaped as I described in my previous post.

Eg. (Correctly exported from  "Item List [Summary]")

Fields:

99-00-3018
1/2" NPT 3000LB 

Exported file:

99-00-3018,"1/2"" NPT 3000LB"

It is definitely to do with exporting through the Import/Export Assistant. I picked up the errors for (Items and Purchases), haven't tested exporting other types. It is simple enough for the Devs to test and confirm. This shouldn't be too hard to fix either.

Regards

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
31,019 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

31019Posts

3921Kudos

4518Solutions

Hi @zswiss

Thank you for your additional feedback

I've passed on your comments and the situation to our team to review the situation. While we are currently not actively investigating this situation it may be something that we consider and look into for a future release.

A potential workaround, and may not be suitable in all situations, is to have a space just after the quote mark. For example the item name is: 3/8" , 2-Way Solenoid or 3/8"<space>, 2-Way Solenoid

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
zswiss
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

I appreciate your effort @Steven_M, however this wouldn't solve the problem, and I'll avoid going into the details of why.  But even if it did solve the problem, we would have to rely on users being aware of this and not forgetting to insert spaces when entering data. This would be a nightmare to check and correct, if they do forget.

This is plainly an ommition by MYOB when developing the new AccountRight, as this was done correctly in v19. 

I have managed to circumvent the issue by excluding the name/description columns where this type of text occurs, but this could hardly be called a solution. People that are relying on these fields in their exported data are going to be affected.

Regards

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post