MYOB V19 shutdown by latest Windows 10 update

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Wordsmith65
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

MYOB V19 shutdown by latest Windows 10 update

I am FURIOUS.  Just tried to open my trusted MYOB V19 (I brought the upgrade to the AccountRight last July, but it was SO painfully slow to use, I have stuck with my v19.  Today I can't even open it.  MYOB blame Windows for their latest Definitions update.  And will do nothing about it as v19 no longer supported.  HELP - anyone have any ideas.  All they have suggested to me, is that I find an old computer with Windows 7 or 8 and just use that.  All this right on NZ's Year End.  Livid is putting it mildly!!!!!

Keen to hear if anyone has any solutions to this!

Thanks, Michele

68 REPLIES 68
Robert_Mitchell
Valued User
343 Posts
Valued User
Valued User

343Posts

38Kudos

40Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: MYOB V19 shutdown by latest Windows 10 update

Wordsmith65
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Robert,

WOW.  I actually have no idea what I was doing there, but I have it open and I am ETERNALLY grateful.  I've set up the new AccountRight system, but it is just so painfully slow compared to the old one, so as long as I can keep using the old one, I will!!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!! 

Michele

howevr
4 Posts
User

4Posts

25Kudos

0Solutions

V18 users have also been affected by this update. I tried several solutions but was dissapointed that these tended to compromise overall system security. I wanted a solution just for MYOB. I settled on starting MYOB from a Command Prompt with Admin privileges. I even used the MYOB icon. So I can start MYOB from this new shortcut without doing a song and dance.

1. Open Notepad

2. Enter the following using the location of MYOB on your computer. Note the long location of my actual MYO file is a shortcut so it opens my business file directly with having to select it from the MYOB menu.

@Echo off

echo Use this to run MYOB

pause

C:\MYOB18\Myob.exe "F:\OneDrive\MYOB\your file name goes here.MYO"

Note the inverted commas around your file location is necessary if you have spaces in your file name.

Now you need to save this as a batch file. So in Notepad select Save and name your file "MYOB.bat" - Note Notepad will want to save your file as a .txt by default. By putting inverted commas around the name it will force it to be saved as MYOB.bat. Move this file anywhere on your computer you want - say the MYOB install folder. Now this last step is very important otherwise when you run this batch file by double clicking it will still start with the blocked message. Right click the batch file and select send to Desktop (create shortcut). Now with this shortcut on your desktop right click it and select Proprerties. You should be in the Shortcut tab. At the botton select Advanced and tick the box Run as administrator. You should now be able to run MYOB ok from this shortcut. If you want feel free to rename the shortcut and change the icon to something better.

Cheers

David

cazbarth535
4 Posts
User

4Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

David - that was amazing help thank you so much.  It worked for me.   I have spent two days of angst with this so appreciate it.   cheers   Caz

LynleyAveris
Trusted Partner
54 Posts
Trusted Partner
New Zealand
Trusted Partner

54Posts

5Kudos

2Solutions

HI Michelle

This is NOT MYOB's fault. Changes to old V19.5 stopped many years ago so how can this be them?

They have offered a free upgrade option to clients affected by this which is pretty good and saves you (slow movers) alot of money. Honestly..

Lynley

boundtoimpress
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

30Posts

26Kudos

0Solutions

Our test system is on Windows 10 and I've not seen this issue and do have the latest patches etc.

However, I had previously applied this fix to get around UAC which may help some:

• Open the following file eg (C:\PremierClassic\Myobp.exe.manifest) using Notepad or similar
  • Change level="HighestAvailable" to level="AsInvoker"
  • Save and Close the file
  • Best to reboot once done then try again
Wordsmith65
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Oh, good to know about the 'free' upgrade they are offering though - I'll use that in my case claiming back the money I PAID for the upgrade last July to the substandard system.  Cheers for that Lynley!

CloudMindAcc
Ultimate Partner
1,949 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,949Posts

724Kudos

234Solutions

@Wordsmith65 MYOB made it very clear it was not going to support MYOB Classic from September 2019.  Glad this is not an issue for me I moved all my clients to cloud services and large percentage are enjoying the new features that have helped streamline their businesses.   The odd customer who has speed issues is normally because the file is large been running for many years, which case I start a new file for them and they have a fresh start.  Each to their own those that are slow movers are now left behind.. onwards and upwards.   It's not MYOB fault if Windows 10 update - users were warned they would not be supported, prehaps some should have listened.  I see you have been provided a solution this time around... maybe next time it might be different?

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae
Wordsmith65
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Haha, so you have a small percentage who also find it **bleep** too.  I hear them. 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post