MYOB V19 shutdown by latest Windows 10 update

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Wordsmith65
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Re: MYOB V19 shutdown by latest Windows 10 update

Hi annoyed3,  I hear you, I spent about 2 hours customising my invoices in the new system, then reverted to the old one again, and I have only now gone back to the new system (to see if it is any faster than it used to be), and wasted another hour having to redo them, as I had to import my V19 data again, and start from scratch.  It's a pain in the butt. BUT, just go to the very top menu and choose Set Up, then Customise Forms.  Pick an invoice style that you mostly use (be it service or item etc) and then if you want the GST incl or not etc....  Once you find one with the basics you want on it, then click the green CUSTOMISE button (you can do this just to get a good look at the invoices too).  Then, add your own information (eg 'click on a blank space and then hit the picture button - and add your logo, click another space, add a text box and you can put in all of your address details etc).

I also moved some things around, added text boxes so the words actually show up on the invoice to support the numbers that are being pulled in (eg at the bottom of the invoice it pulls through totals, GST, paid and balance due, but the WORDS themselves aren't there, just the numbers, so I added text boxes next to those, so my invoices explain each number itemised.  You can also move existing boxes around if you want them placed elsewhere.  It's not dissimilar to editing a word document.

I hope this helps - to be honest, it was only because I'd invested the time (and managed to make a pretty good looking invoice) when I thought I had lost v19 forever, that has coerced me into give the new version a crack, and see if I can deal with the slower speed.  v19 was INSTANTLY responsive, and I just absolutely loved it.  At least now, I can catch a Ted Talk between keystrokes, while the blue circle goes around and around - but hey, perhaps that is good 'multitasking' ;-) Haha!!

Best of luck with it.  I definitely feel your pain and frustration.  And whilst I know it's a 'Windows' caused issue, it's still infuriating to own something that works absolutely perfectly, and have it shut down - just so you can now enjoy the privilege of paying again for what you already bought.  This entire business model is NUTS and I look forward to the day this generation of happy 'renters' work out how deeply they are being shafted!!  Alas they are all so scared of maths now, maybe they won't, because they no longer understand the very simple mathematical formulas behind the package.  Sad.  Oh, I can't wait for the day that our cars just stop and we have to suddenly start 'renting' them from the manufacturer: carnage. LOL!!!

BobPASG
2 Posts
User

2Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Dear Lynley,

Your post of impatience at your fellow forum users is not justified. I take exception to your inference that we "slow movers" must in fact, move at all. I've been running V18.5 since it was first issued, easily over a decade now, quite happily and successfully. It meets the needs of my business, staff and even my accountant.

For the record, I'm a financial planner and helping people to deal with change is what we do on a daily basis, so naturally I've considered upgrading and paying a subscription, but I can see zero benefit for my business. Not everyone shares your idea of what is unavoidable or necessary. 

Like many people, what I get scared by is an unexpected failure that leaves me in the dark and threatens access to my own data until I can find a solution in places like this forum. Also...like many people, computer software is not my area of expertise. Comfort is hard to find and easily stolen by uncertainty when things go wrong or fail. Forums like this are invaluable to me.

Do better when responding to forum users. We don't all share your headspace and experience.

Kind regards,

Bob

BobPASG
2 Posts
User

2Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

David, (username "howevr")

Thanks!!! I have V18.5 and your SOLUTION worked a treat! SOOOO MUCH gratitude!!!

A shortcut with admin priviledges that leads to a simple batch file, typed on Notepad. 

No need to go near the registry or change security settings for the user or the device. Simple and effective. I've even added the correct icon to the shortcut to make it easy to find on the desktop.

Thank you,

Bob

@howevr wrote:

If you want to simplify the little MYOB.bat file edit it as follows and save.

@Echo off

start C:\MYOB18\Myob.exe "F:\OneDrive\MYOB\your file name goes here.MYO"

This will not pause and wait for you to continue. Also the DOS box will immeadiatly close after starting MYOB.

Nice and quick.

Cheers

David

cazbarth535
4 Posts
User

4Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Bernieozz - I too use V17 still and cannot see any reason to change.   I did what David said and it worked for me and also seemed much safer to me to just have the separate Notepad file on my desktop to open MYOB.    [I am not expert techo]

I MAY have had a company file open too but as they are stored separately to the program it did not do anything to the company files.  I would go into where your data files for both companies are stored - and copy them both to another place on your computer just in case  [not backup but full COPY .myo files]     [I do this yearly anyway when I am about to rollover - just to be sure, to be sure] 

Hope that helps - as I said no expert!

Caz

cazbarth535
4 Posts
User

4Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

hello annoyed.   I was too but can you not find your original .frm files on your computer?    After following David's advice I am now able to use all my old stuff.

[I had a copy of mine and full copies of my company files stored in case something went awry].   

Have you used another computer over the years and have an old copy of MYOB with your customized invoices etc on there in the forms directory that you can copy across to the new forms directory?

Good luck wtih it.

Caz

cazbarth535
4 Posts
User

4Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks David - I have all the info for later as well as having great success with it now - without fiddling with registry etc.  Well done.    Caz

RossHood
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Lifesaver David!  Had to fiddle to get the path right for me and then take out pause, but works just fine.

Ross

Jeffrey1
Contributing User
35 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

35Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

HI.

I am using Windows Home edition and cannot get your fixes to work.

Can you offer any other solutions so we can access our Myob Accounrt Right pLUS v 19.5.

I also have the disk and tried to re install without success.

Regards

Jeffrey

Sunshine Coast QLD

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,850 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,850Posts

1,079Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @Jeffrey1 , the batch file method should work. If you have tried that and it is not working, please post the text of the batch file here. Also make sure you save the batch file as "myob.bat" WITH the apostrophes, otherwise Notepad will try to add a .txt extension.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Profit_Wise
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Outstanding fix.  Thanks for sharing

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search