Online Offline

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted Cover User robs1
98 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
robs1
Trusted Cover User

124Posts

14Kudos

4Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Online Offline

After a few issues have my Myob program running smoothly and think Im figuring out whats going wrong.  I backup every day offline.  Yesterday i backup when I left offline.  I thought I put it back on line but cannot remember. I openend the file, there is only one, by selecting online, password, open.  The file opened as always and the right bottom corner was green and said Online.  If it is offline it usually says you are checked out etc and I go to that.  It opened and when I went to enter an invoice it wouldn't allow me and I found it was a read only file.  There is only me and only one computer that uses this.  My accountantant doesn't yet have access.

I clicked on the green tab and it instructed I had to undo last check out, losing information.  I had no choice.  I have also been well instructed in this procedure.  I restored, as instructed previous backup to online with fingers crossed.  It worked.  It was the same file name that was used by Tallie (from Melbourne) when she restored and had yesterdays date so thats what it backed up as.So I could produce invoices for the day.

At end of day I went to go off line to back up and it says off line is same name and needed to be different..  So I backed up from online to a separate USB then closed file.

I re-opened and my file from yesterday opened  (the one that became read only this morning and requested I 'discard changes') in order to work.  So I though thats good I'll syncronise Its says an offline file already exists with this name - well thats the one I am on and it wants me to change name.  the online is called COMPANYNAME restore..  The offline is COMPANY.  So how do I get the two to synch so the little bit of info that I entered in online goes with offline under my correct COMPANYNAME.

I'm competent in account program and knowledgable with computers but all this is diminishing. I have to work offline as internet seems at times too slow for the program.

My offline file that tells me its online is the one I want to use.  But the file that is online (restored to online this morning) has info I want to put into the file Im using now that says its online! Why won't they sync and if I do a new name as its asking will I get extra copies?

there must e something Im not doing right in the on/off back on process but Im following instructions from MYOB people carefully.  Tallie was brilliant with this at beginning of week so I knew exactly what to do and now above.

Fortunately I'm an experienced user but maybe I should stay offline permanently until my accountant wants it. Please advise.

Robs1

17 REPLIES 17
MYOB Moderator Liam_M
1,796 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Re: Online Offline

Hello @robs1 

If you've ended up with two copies of the file with different information there isn't a way to join them. You will need to manually enter the missing data in your current online file.

Even using the file online sometimes, and offline others, you should only have one single continuous copy of the file. If you ever open the file and it doesn't have data from last time you worked on it, then either the wrong copy of the file has be opened in error, or there has been a problem accessing your checked out file, and you should contact us immediately.

When you open AccountRight the 'recently opened files' list will come up. Don't select your file from here. Instead, to ensure that there is no issue opening the file, click open, then click online. Even when your file is checked out (offline) select online. When you do this you should only ever see one file. If you see more than one, please contacts us immediately. Please don't select 'local' when opening the file, even if it is currently offline. The local copy is not the same as a checked out online file.

When you open the file, even though you have clicked online, if your file has been checked out (put offline) on this computer and is still offline, it will open the checked out copy. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen it should show "checked out." If the file is online, then it will open the online file and it will say online in the bottom right hand corner.

If you want to take an online file offline the file out go to file and click check out. When you are ready to put it back online go to file and click go online. When the file is checked out (offline) it should be impossible to make changes to the online file.

The online file is marked as read only while checked out (so that you can't make changes). If you tried to access it from a machine other than the one it was checked out on, then you will see the read only copy of the file and won't be able to change it. If you attempt to open the file from a machine other than the one it was checked out on, while it is checked out it you may be asked if you'd like to discard your checked out file, and make the online one active.

This should ONLY occur on a different machine to the one the file is checked out on. It sounds like it may have occured on the machine where the file is checked out for you. This should not occur. If you do attempt to open a file that was checked in (put back online) last time you opened it, or was checked out on this computer, but it opens a read only copy, or gives you the option to discard online changes, but not the option to open the checked out file (offline), then please contact us immediately. Do not add any data to the file, as any data you enter may end up being lost

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Trusted Cover User robs1
98 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
robs1
Trusted Cover User

124Posts

14Kudos

4Solutions

Hi Liam,

thanks for the quick response and I appreciate the detail given.  I went through it carefully and its exactly what i've been doing. Problem is re your last two paragraphs.   It said discard your checked out file and make the online one active.  It was the SAME machine.  I am only one user and one machine.  I have on laptop at open but havent used at all with all these online/offline problems. After restoring file from USB and closed on my computer when I re-opened correct file came up (ive become a bit confursed with it all but I only had ONE frile to work on.  All cleared out by MYOB last week. I said that the file had a different name but MYOB said not to worry and it came up correct once sorted..  I now have correct file that works but when I try to go offline (on SMAE) computer it says a different file name needed. Message is -

"An offline file with the same name already exists.

To synchronise, the offline file must have a unique name.

Please provide a different file name."

I thought syncronising was meant to go to same file. This may have occurred when restored file from USB which enabled me to get correct file offline to open.

As for contacting you immediately the only way is through this community forum (I'm still waiting on phone to get help. I know from personal experience I can be onl phone with a MYOP person for an hour while things upload etc.  so if all are doing the same it would take time

So I am in my correct file that had been previously checked out.  It states I am online,  but won't allow me to check out without changing the file name.  Do I change the file name?  This is the copy  want to use. I will change it to the same name as the one restore from USB ? which is company name restore (as when Tallie from Melbourne first corrected files at beginning of last week).  I am working on this file as I cannot be held up any longer.  I have also back up this file whilst online to USB.  Please advise further.  I want to take it off line and stay offline as aside from my account I'm only one using. I had wanted it to pickeup from my lapttop to save taking system home in holidays but its easier to take work system home.

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7093Posts

497Kudos

1124Solutions

Thank you for your enquiry @robs1 

I'm sorry to hear the trouble you've had with checking in and checking out the company file. I can see you've also made another post regarding this issue: http://community.myob.com/t5/Installing-and-upgrading/Need-a-support-call/td-p/340119

If I understand correctly, you have restored the backup file online and have been working online, now you are unable to check out the company file or perform a manual synchronisation due to an offline file with the same name already exists. 

Whenever you restore a file online it would overwrite the previous online file, and disconnect from the existing sync/offline file. Usually after the restore, you would need to perform a manual synchronisation via File > Sync Company File. Normally it would then sync to the existing offline file, however in your situation it seems to be a broken connection between your offline file with our file server, hence the file name error message and mostly caused the initial online/offline file issue.

As of now, instead of renaming the file, I would suggest navigating to the .sync folder and move the existing sync file (companyname.myox file) out of that folder, you can temporary move it to the desktop. Then please log back on your online file, make a backup then sync or check out the company file again. It would then create a new offline file in the .sync folder. Once that's done, you can delete the old offline file from desktop.

You can find the .sync folder location here:

Windows 8, 7 and Vista: C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\MYOB\AccountRight\Offline\.sync

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\user.name\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\MYOB\AccountRight\Offline\.sync

This broken connection between your offline and online file could be caused by back end Windows updates while the file is checked out, and recent weeks there was a few Windows updates released. To minimize the impact in the future, I would suggest:

- Always make one backup at the end of the day.

- Can check in the file right after a backup

- Can check in the file at the end of each day.

This way even if the linking between online and offline files are broken again, you can restore from the backup straight away without losing any work done.

Please let us me know you go, we are happy to assist further.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Trusted Cover User robs1
98 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
robs1
Trusted Cover User

124Posts

14Kudos

4Solutions

Hi, you seemed to have worked it out exactly.  Seems all a bit IT technical for me but will have a go next week.  I'm not at work late this week and too busy just now..  Fortunately I do do backups every day.  At the moment it is backed up from online.  So when Ive fixed the sync things do I back up to USB from Online or Offline, and if restoration required do I restore from offline or online.  It gets a bit confusing sometimes as that seems to be then depending on whats happening.

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7093Posts

497Kudos

1124Solutions

Thank you for the update @robs1 

When you make a backup, I would suggest doing it right at the end of your work session, or before you need to change the file online/offline status. For example if you were working on the file offline and plan to check in the file once done, please make a backup before checking in.

If a restoration is required, you would always need to restore online to overwrite the online file. This means if the file is checked out, you would need to check in the file or undo check out first, before restore the backup online.

It does take some practice to be familiar with working online and offline, you've actually become quite experienced in this field. When you have the time next week, please do give it a try browsing to the sync folder location I've mentioned and remove the offline file from that folder. Once done please log on the online file, process a manual sync or check out the company file, it should work this time.

Please feel free to let us know how you go, we are more than happy to assist further.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Trusted Cover User robs1
98 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
robs1
Trusted Cover User

124Posts

14Kudos

4Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for your vote of support, I have been feeling very 'useless' despite my many, many years of using this program.  I have been doing everything exactly as every one says and feeling may be it is just me but I know Ive been doing everything right, and yes am becoming very experienced at it! What you say about the missing connection makes sense.  I had a quick look today to find that file but couldn't.  I opened 'my documents' and clicked on OS (C) file, usual place for the MYOB files and couldnt see any sync file.  I went to the address bar and keyed in exactly address you gave and nothing happened.  I'm no IT person so didn't want to risk anything, especially with not being here a few days.  The files that exist in there for MYOB are MYOBODBC and MYOBODBCAU10.  I didn't open them for same reason.

(PS I really appreciate the explanatory notes by Liam and yourself.  I'm rapidly learning lots! Some of the Online support notes were a bit too much but should try and find more time to study them.)

Can you please enlighten me further.  When you open the file and the Welcome Screen is there where we have the MYOB file, but I'm afraid to delete that one as it is the correct file I need and it is green tabbed when opened so is online.

I do have current back up from this online file which is done daily. (Ive done that step before but we want to remove the computer version this time) Also when I open the welcome window this file is in the recently archived (which I don't touch to open) and where previously it used to say last sync date there is no no last sync date.)

Also are there any courses one can go to do learn this sort of stuff properly with MYOB.  Im self taught from day one but seem to have to do more and more of this 'background' work.  At least I'd know what they're talking about when I go to the course!

Appreciate the quick responses from the community support very much

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7093Posts

497Kudos

1124Solutions

Thank you for the update @robs1 

Could you please let us know what Windows operating system you are using? If you are using Windows 7 or 8, then please double click on OS C: > Users > [your windows user profile name folder] > AppData > Local > MYOB > AccountRight > Offline >.sync folder. 

By default the AppData folder is a hidden folder, if you can't see this folder than please make sure the windows preference is set to show hidden files. To do so please click on Organize from the top left corner of the Windows explorer > Folder and Search options > View tab > Show hidden files and folders, as shown in the picture below:

Capture.PNG

If you still cannot see the AppData folder, then it could be it was under a different user profile. Please go back to C:\Users folder and check all user profile folders there. Alternatively you can follow the 'Where is the offline company file stored" support note section to locate the sync folder.

When you launch the AccountRight program, straight away you would see the 'Recent opened company file" list. It's only a list of shortcuts of file you've recently opened, you can delete them by right clicking on the file name > remove, it will not affect the actual data files. 

From the welcome screen, if you click on Open a company file > Online > log in with your email address and password, you can then view your online file on the right hand side. Within this screen there is no option to delete, so please don't worry about accidentally deleting this file. 

Currently since the last time you have restored the backup online, you haven't been able to do a manual sync or check out the company file yet due to the company file name error message. Therefore there online file does not have a 'Last sync' date showing yet.

It's fantastic you have come so far just by self teaching and still learning rapidly from the Community Forum, your interest in learning further is even better. We do provide a range of online and classroom training courses, to start off I would suggest checking these out:

AccountRight Webinars - 4 subjects, all free for subscription users.

AccountRight Online Traning - 2 available courses, also free for subscription users.

Please feel free to browser for other available training courses on the same website.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Ultimate Partner BooksInTheCloud
1,268 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1728Posts

1498Kudos

183Solutions

I have had a similar issue on two occasions similar to @robs1 - I was the only one with access to the company file. What confused me was when I logged back in the next morning I had the "Green online" bar in the file as Rob has encountered as well, even though I had not checked the file back in.  This is where it all started to go wrong and somehow I lost all my data as well.    

I have learnt to take a back up before I take the file offline and also take back ups regularly when I have the file offline to safeguard/prevent losing loads of data.  

before you need to change the file online/offline status is very important for users to know this. 

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
MYOB Moderator CloverQ
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7093Posts

497Kudos

1124Solutions

Thank you very much for your feedback @BooksInTheCloud 

This incident can occur when there was an interruption during the check in/check out process, or the connection between online and offline files are broken (often due to Windows updates). 

When it does happen, the most up-to-date data would still be kept in either the .sync folder or the 'Discarded Offline Files' folder (depending on the situation). You can still retrieve the data without having a backup by following this support note- Issues trying to open a checked out AccountRight company file.

There are more steps involved in this process, you would need to copy the sync file or the discarded file to local library, open it up locally to verify the information. Then you would need to use the 'deprovisioning tool' to repair the file before backing up the file then restore it online. Therefore having a backup made already would make the process much simplified. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post