choices
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Online company file sync

im getting alot of misinformation when phoning myob

can someone please answer how the online company file sync system works in real time

(not reffering to the working offline backup / sync)

how does it deal with conflicting data? or real time input?

is it delta sync or partial sync?

is it periodic sync?

we have 10 staff using 1 company file and we are on rural internet so data cap and bandwith are an issue,

our company file is around 600mb and we have a beefy server but it is getting slower by the day and while its still manageable in 6+ months it may not be

5 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,478 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4478Posts

698Kudos

648Solutions

Re: Online company file sync

Hi @choices

You might like to read this support note: Synchronise a company file

In short: Syncing a company file will bring the changes made to that file to an offline copy on your specific computer. If you have set automatic synchronisation, this will sync the changes every 20 minutes.

The support note also covers error-handling, if you get an error when syncing we would need to clear the sync folder to clear out any damaged files. Errors in your sync files won't affect the online datafile.

Let us know if you have any further questions after having a read.

Contributing Cover User choices
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
choices
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

didnt i just say i was not reffering to offline sync???

i dont care about offline files, i want to know how your sync protocol works in real time online;

what data is uploaded and how often?

does it immediately upload / transmit a sales order as soon as you save it?

or does it just try and sync it to the online file every 20 mins?

does it only update the sales order or does it try and update the whole myob file?

what happens when you get a conflict of 2 people saving a sales order with the same number at the same time?

"Delta (Differential) sync is a type of synchronization technology that will only synchronize parts of a file that have been updated or changed. The general claim is that delta sync technology will help to save time and bandwidth by just synchronizing the changed parts instead of the whole file"

im hoping you use something like this otherwise 500mb x 72 instances a day is 36gb

thats 1 terabyte a month of data... 1 way

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,478 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4478Posts

698Kudos

648Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Sorry @choices I've misunderstood.

In technical terms it would be using Delta Sync as you say. When opening a window in AccountRight, say the Enter Sales window, it generates a transaction token to be used by the software for usage when updating the database on the Cloud. When clicking the Record button it will send the SQL statement to the database to add the record if the token is still valid. Note that this does open up the possibility of the transaction token expiring and so there can be Timeout errors if left on the screen for too long without recording. When an operation has completed, the transaction token is cleared and no further i/o will commence between the software and the database until the User clicks on other areas.

This is used both with the database being on our Cloud Servers or if it's hosted Locally.

To use an example:

If 2 Users open the Enter Sales window to create a new Sales Order, both will have generated the Transaction Token to be able to execute the specific transaction in the database. They would then enter the relevant data into the Enter Sales window and then click Record, this will then validate the Token and then execute the SQL statement. That said, there are some extra bits of information here. If 2 Users open the screen at the same time, it is not Live-data and so both Users will see the same Invoice# being generated based on the last-used one.

If User 1 clicked record before User 2, then User 1 will be using that Invoice#, then when User 2 clicks record their sale data should then increment by 1 and so it will display a different Invoice# to avoid duplicated ID's.

I hope this helps answer the question. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Contributing Cover User choices
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
choices
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

thankyou

i have called the support desk atleast a dozen times about this over the period of a year and gave up because everyone kept telling me you dont support delta sync, instead it syncs every 20 mins...

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,478 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4478Posts

698Kudos

648Solutions

Not a problem @choices

I've made sure to also pass on feedback in terms of your experiences with the Phone Support team. 

Do feel free to post again should you have any other questions.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post