Experienced User
15 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

15Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Performance 2019.4

We recently upgraded to AR 2019 from V19.

Our V19 file was 290Mb pre-conversion and was sent to FGH Tables to fix problems in the V19 file.  The file was first sent to MYOB but the file fix team doesn't work weekends and the business can't spend a day not invoicing waiting around for MYOB data team to do their thing.

On return (within 2 hours) the file was fixed, converted to 2019.3 and had grown to 331Mb.  Oh Dear!

The file was sent online and on the Monday a backup was taken of the file which was now up to 420Mb - presumably the custom forms, etc had been loaded in, but 90Mb???? 

Performance was bad, printing was not reliable (jobs just disappeared) so over the new year break we moved the file back to local on our Terminal Server where V19 had been running just fine for 3 1/2 years.  File size after 3 months now 634Mb

Performance is slower than online and way worse than V19 was to do the same things.

Can anyone throw any useful suggestions, as the business owner thinks the users are doing something wrong in the way they are using MYOB for  the file to be growing so huge.  Note there is no attaching of scanned documents going on.  We have 5 users operating MYOB and another couple using a label printing program, so 7 RDP sessions hosted.  The VM that is running MYOB has 48Gb RAM and 12 CPU cores and shows no signs of resource problems, on a Proliant Gen8.

I'm thinking of installing a Fusion IO card into the server and putting the VHD onto that - but I don't know if faster IO would help MYOB run a bit faster.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
36,949 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

36,949Posts

5,004Kudos

5,400Solutions

Re: Performance 2019.4

Hi @GMP 

While AccountRight 20xx will never be as fast as an old desktop product designed for when computers had significantly slower response times, the benefits of working online and the time saving benefits included in the AccountRight 20xx range far outweigh any discernible difference in response times. Time saving benefits include automated bank feeds, uploading of supplier and banking documents, online invoicing, mobile integration, lodgement of activity to the ATO, paying superannuation directly from your software, lodging your employees pays with the ATO... 

In saying that, there is no magic bullet to improve the speed of AccountRight 2019. Although, some clients have found some success in Help Article: Speed and performance tips. Note: It doesn't work for all client, environments and systems.

On the file size front, currently, there is no direct way to reduce the size of files or purge out information with AccountRight 2019. This may be something we do look at adding in the future as file sizes do grow, however, there are no immediate plans at this stage for that file size reduction functionality.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Experienced User
15 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

15Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

Having worked in IT since 1983 starting in a mainframe IBM shop as an applications architect among many other roles I have found over the years that programmers have become lazier and lazier as RAM and storage availability grew.  

Yes, there are more features added which accounts for some of it, but let's face it - a program that works with debits and credits, a customer data base and a reporting/printing facility isn't the world's most challenging project.  I have a Quickbooks Premier file of 62Mb which has over 20 years of data in it and nothing has ever been purged at end of year because it's not needed in QB.

Reading between the lines of your answer you seem to be saying "suck it up" with regard to speed, MYOB management don't care, programmers don't care (or aren't allowed to), no optimisation/purge utility is under consideration.

I am fully aware of the huge benefits provided to business over the years with MYOB  Premier up to V19.x - I supported customers running this in a Terminal environment for more than 15 years (on Proliant G1 and G2 which weren't that fast).  One customer had thousands of items sold through Bunnings with direct order injection every night and a linked ERP system.  Failure of the system was not an option, and it never did.

What the hell happened with 2019?  It can't do any of that.

Current client has no option but to move to something else.  

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

12Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

I am about to upgrade to AR 2019 from AR v19, Server based not Online. I am a little concerned having read this post, we have 6 users at a time, a LARGE file and I have not yet upgraded my forms.. I am concerned for similar reasons outlined above. 

Could you please provide an update from the point of view of your speed etc a month on from this post.

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,165 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,165Posts

2,262Kudos

437Solutions

Hi @GMP  and @Fiona2012 

I note comment by @Steven_M "the benefits of working online and the time saving benefits included in the AccountRight 20xx range far outweigh any discernible difference in response times."

Take care as this is MYOB sales pitch and does NOT apply if your file is over say 300 MB. Some users with a very small file may find benefits and time savings, for users with larger files there is no time saving despite the benefits. Spend some time on the forum reading what users are saying (not MYOB staff or consultants), esp those with larger files (if any are still on the forum, many have left to other software).

Performance with larger files is 'unacceptable' - and crashes caused by System.OutOfMemory exceptions (which have almost nothing to do with how much RAM you have on your computer) will be frequent. 

The problem is not that file is online. Having a large file on server is not faster than online. Problem is with the design and development of the software, not internet speed.

This is just my opinion based on considerable experience with larger files and forum posts by other users. Please do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Experienced User
15 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

15Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin, thanks for your comments.

I have replied to Fiona via PM as I had a few things to say which probably would have been removed by the moderator Smiley Happy  My advice was to stay on V19, use another OTP and V19 support provider, both of which are available.  Cost of this approach far, far, less than moving to the monthly payment plan.  Use the breathing space to move to a real accounting solution.

I have had chats with MYOB support and experienced the MYOB "saleswall" and also made the boss ring them so he could really get to know how badly they support the rubbish product.  He found out that I was not telling porkies.  "Oh - your file is really big;  do you have lots of customers?  do you have lots of items?"  Yes.  "Oh we can't help, we are not developing a compaction utility, never will"

Not sure if you are aware that the online file structure is 150% the size of the localised file - we had about 633Mb local after conversion from a 280Mb V19 which expanced to over 900Mb online......that's why a backup takes so long - file has to be re-arranged into the 110Mb Zip file before downloading. 

Now that we are running offline I have set the Server to reboot daily to prevent the huxley thing from crashing it's meaghre RAM allocation and making the entire server unresponsive.

V19 wasn't perfect, but I never had to perform a server reboot because of it, and I have had clients running it (and it's earlier versions) since 2000.  One of them had thousands of items with direct order feeds from Bunnings and it never fell over, even when running on G1, G2 hardware.

But you know all this already, haha.

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I run an SME with 5 employees.  Our server is 1 year old, with multiple processors and the maximum RAM that can be installed, and now we have to have every available resource pointed at MYOB.  We are on NBN and have a Gb Switch in the office, running the software in-house on a Terminal Server.  We only have 3 users at any one time.

We upgraded recently (4 months ago) to comply with OTP and thinking that the newer version would provide reporting upgrades due to the "enhanced file structure" - maybe the ability top report on customer profitability as an example. 

What a total let down.  MYOB Premier was a brilliant product, fast, effective and easy to use.  The NEW Accountright AU2019 is a dog.  Everything takes LONGER, every opening of an order, or invoicing, or making a report and we get the spinning wheel and (Not Responding). There are many errors and issues when entering orders (the way the cursor or keyboard work) totally different to the previous version, processing reports the filters don't work properly.  I have a list of about 20 major issues that don't work or are problems, as well as the lousy performance, where nearly everything takes about twice the time it used to take.

I ring and speak to MYOB - 20-40 minutes waiting to speak to SUPPORT on the SUPPORT number.  The person answering is a filter, they cannot help you unless the problem is something like your power being out and your computer won't turn on.  They then put you in a second queue where you need to wait again.  I persevered twice to do this.  I have spoken to a senior support individual, I have paid IT experts to TUNE my server as recommended by MYOB (Made no difference at all).  They listened and basically told me the issues were issues and might be addressed some time, and don't think the performance will be better.  The promised to call me back and advise on progress of various items on my list.  Guess what?  No call back - BUT they did agree to discount the monthly fee, whoopee!  They should be paying me to test and comment on this, the worst piece of commercial software I have ever seen in my entire life.  How can ANYONE Take a decent good piece of software and so totally ruin it without actually providing much in the way of real benefits. 

So, who knows a decent package out there that can do what the old MYOB Premier could do with simple inventory management? 

Highlighted
Experienced User
15 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

15Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Welcome to the world of hurt.

We finally found a "solution" to the inoperable performance of 2019.4 on our terminal server.  Our installation is a server 2012R2 on a Proliant ML350 Gen8 dual CPU 96Gb RAM with Fusion IO card hosting the VM running the T/Services.  The PDC is another VM on the SAS drives (4 600Gb SAS in Raid 5).  This is a common server setup requiring only one Microsoft license.

We ran V19 on this box for 3 1/2 years no issues zero problems zero downtime, with initially 3 users grown to 10.  No issues with 10 users.

Then along came 2019.3 - I advised my client against it but he ignored me.... I installed the MSI installer on the T/S and put the file online.

He hated the online 2 factor authentication and the other bugs like disappearing print jobs, etc, so we moved the file locally and set the library to the same old file location on the T/S.

Now the server would randomly lock up with network browsing failed, RDP connection failed.  I could Radmin in to it but it would not shut down and restart - had to kill it with Hyper-V manager.  10 Minutes for an invoice when it worked, reports comatose, unusable.  MYOB support no help at all, because of course they know what used to work no loner does, so you just get duck-shoved around till you give up.

Anyway, to my solution.

I threw together an old DL360 G7 we had lying around, put a Fusion IO card into it, loaded up server 2019R2 and installed MYOB SE, placing the install onto the Fusion drive, set the library location.  Did not bother to join the domain with it, just fired it up and plugged into the network (2 nics teamed) and pointed all the RDP clients to the file on the network location.

The old box is not the quickest around, but invoices are now 1.5 minutes, reports work slowly, and it is generally operating at probably the best level the horrible thing ever will, given that MYOB support does not hide the fact they have no plans to fix anything at all.  Resource monitors show the box is running at less than 10% CPU, less than 6% of the 24Gb RAM, and very low network bandwidth.  Go figure.

I am about to build a new workstation box to replace the old G7 - it will run an ASUS workstation board, Ryzen 7 3700x, 32Gb, and 4 enterprise SSDs in Raid 10.  Probably the software won't be able to use the speed of this new box, but it's a cheaper way to go than a new G10.  Will stick with Server 2012 R2, we have a license.

PS: after "success" with the separate physical server and SE edition, I threw together another VM with SE installed and as a test opened it up from the T/S admin console - performance was completely rubbish again.  So it's something to do with how the huxley thing works (or doesn't work) that is killing performance in a VM, on the same server as the T/S.  I suspect the Hyper-V switch is incompatible, or the SQL implementation is to blame.  V19 ran it's own network stack on top of the Windows stack, so probably 2019 does too, and this is what caused our browsing to stop and the server to lock up.

I don't care much any more. Smiley Happy  Retiring from this B/S at the end of March.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post